THR Left hip replacement 8 January 2024

Penguin Hopper

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Joining this forum but not sure what I do?
I’m 5 weeks post surgery and it was murder at first but I’m walking well now.
Still hurts
Hoping I can drive next week

How do I read others’s experience and tips.
I found the follow up poor and there was little telling you what to expect after.
I was alarmed when a week later my leg swelled up.
AND I had to pay!

Welcome to BoneSmart! You've posted to the right place and soon folks will start finding you!

It's very true that many orthopedic surgeons really don't prepare us for the ups and downs postop - a common refrain from our members! Let us support you moving ahead.

Meanwhile here are links to some articles to get you started. You can post questions right here on the thread you created (most of us bookmark our own threads to more easily return to them) as well as note milestones as you heal.

HIP RECOVERY GUIDELINES

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs

The recovery articles
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Last edited:
Welcome to the BoneSmart forum!

I’m sorry to read about your swelling, has that subsided now?
You should be able to search through the hip
forum to find other members’ recovery thread
HERE.

@mendogal has left you some very good recovery articles and hopefully you will find them helpful. I know I did when I had to go through my first THR.

@Penguin Hopper

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Wondering how your recovery is going? I hope well.
Please let us know if you're still finding it difficult to navigate the forum and we'll do what we're able to help.
I hope you have a nice weekend! :SUNsmile: @Penguin Hopper

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
leonardcotton
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom