Hi All Got my date for bilateral hip replacement 8th Oct

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlevic

I wanted to know how long the average stay in hospital is ?
Also how much harder ( or easier) is the recovery process?
Getting more than a little nervous now :)

Hi littlevic, welcome to BoneSmart! Your hospital stay and recovery is totally yours alone. There is really no timeline set in stone for BTHR.

If you look in the Hip Recovery area and search for the little BTHR prefixes on the threads those are posts by other BTHR members.

Do spend some time in the Library. Lots of info there as well. Here's some links to get you started:
Pain management and the pain chart
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy Drain for THRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Activity progression for THR
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Hi littlevic-
Welcome to Bonesmart! Wow, your surgery is coming up quickly! Mine is scheduled in November, so I have a little more time to prepare.

You will find lots of helpful people here. Take a look at the links Jaycey provided, plus the articles in the Library, then fire away with questions.

Best of luck with your surgery and recovery!
-nerdgrrl

Hi LittleVic - welcome to BoneSmart! You've come to the right place to get your questions answered :) As Jaycey said the length of time in hospital and the ease/difficulty of recovery is unique to each person. For me the hospital stay was 4 days and the recovery was amazingly uneventful. I was very fortunate to have a fairly easy recuperation. The first 4-6 weeks were awkward - the hip restrictions took a lot of thinking and planning so as not to break them. You can see my saga over on the recovery side - it's called Both Sides NOW. I think you will find that once the incisions are healed you'll be very glad you did both hips at the same time :)

It varies quite a bit, Littlevic. Are you in the US or elsewhere? The US tends to be shorter stays. In my area, the trend is to get you out of the hospital FAST. First surgery I was in for two nights; second surgery only one night! But that assumes absolutely no complications. Just the fact that you are having bilateral surgery means you'll be in a bit longer. Will you have help at home or will you need to go to a short term rehab afterward? Do you have to manage stairs when you go home. Your surgeon should give you a ball park estimate, but that can change in either direction after the actual surgery. I've observed that 4 or 5 nights is more common in the UK. But same thing....it can vary depending on what actually happens after surgery.

In the early weeks, recovery from a bilateral procedure is more difficult than from a single hip. But just about every bilateral thread here on the forum that I've read reports very good outcomes fairly early on. And once it's done....it's really done! No wondering when the other hip will drop. No recovery hampered by the other hip that still needs doing.

Nerves are to be expected, so ask your questions, read up in the library, and most importantly....read threads in the Recovery Forum that are marked with the Bilateral symbol. And Oct. 8 is just about here...no time to get too nervous!! We'll see you on the other side in an eyeblink. :)

Sharon

Just to add my comment..

In Australia, the usual stay in my part of the country is 4-5 days, then there is always the possibility of going to a rehab ward or separate facility for post surgical care. Rehab is usually dependent on private health insurance?.

Welcome to Bonesmart. I agree to all above. It so up to your body and the new total replacement. It tells you when you can leave and how hard it going to be. Please read all the articles subjected and if this raises any question please ask away. Also if you need to vent. this is a good. Please keep us informed and do get to know us. We are a friendly bunch and do want to get to know you. Take care and stay safe. Tashia:bicycle1:

Hi Littlevic! You're 8 days ahead of me for your bilateral THRs....I'm scheduled for October 16. Just had the hospital pre-admission appointment yesterday, and so far no one can tell me for sure how long to expect to be in. Estimates range from 2 to 4 or 5 days, depending on how I'm doing. My particular insurance company doesn't care--called to double check with them and they just said they go by doctor recommendations for patient.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see! I hate that.... but of course I'm hoping to be coming home after 2 or 3 days. That may be unrealistic....

I'll be looking for you on the other side! Good luck and enjoy your new hips!

Weezy

I am 2 weeks out from a bilateral THR and just posted my experiences in the post op forum. You might want to read it as I think it will answer most of your questions. I was scared to death before the surgery, and the 1st 10 days post op were challenging, but I am so happy with my decision to have them both done. I didn't want to go to acute rehab, my surgeon insisted and I'm glad he did. I did need their help to get over the hump. I made the right decision for me and so far, it's all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Plerea
Recent bookmarks