THR Groin Pain When Laying Down

Happy Two Month Anniversary! I hope you're doing well,
Have a very Merry Christmas! :carols:
@Brandywinegirl7

I had my left hip replaced in October and it is healing well. However my right hip is giving me even more trouble - and that hip wasn't was severe as the left hip before the surgery.
When I stand more than 10 minutes, or if I don't move the right leg it freezes up on me and I cannot sleep in my bed for the same reason. It definitely is the hip, not something else. I tried acupuncture but no relief.

Back to sleeping in the recliner and scheduling a cortisone shot next month. Has anyone else experienced this kind of leg/hip pain?
:doh:If I have to get the right one replaced, I will next year.

That sounds like bad news. Sorry to hear it. Have you followed the advice on here about new shoe?

Yes, this happened to me. Both my hips were bad but the right was worse so I had it replaced first (September 2022). I used the left leg and hip so much in healing, my left hip ended up worse than ever! I had it replaced April 12.

Hi there @Brandywinegirl7
I am sorry your right hip is now bothering you. It is an all too common scenario here. It's too bad acupuncture didn't provide any relief. Hopefully the cortisone injection alleviates the discomfort you're dealing with.

Once you get closer to scheduling surgery, consider starting a thread in the Hip Pre-Op forum. If you'd like us to change your thread title to reflect your current concern, please let us know and we'll edit accordingly.
Wishing you comfort and relief.

Miss Fanny, I really think that's what is happening. Unfortunately I am not yet retired so for FMLA I will need to wait a while to go out again for three months. Glad it's not just me. I hope you are feeling better!

Thanks Gloucestergal - thank goodness I spent good money on a fancy electric recliner. Who knew I would be sleeping in it again! :tantrum2:

Layla, yes I will - I did that in the summer before my left hip surgery.

I was having dead leg pain that caused groin and hip pain as well, for over 10 months before my hip replacement in January. I slept in my recliner - that was my only option.
After surgery, I started laying in my bed in hopes that the groin pain had gone away. It's 50% better but I can only sleep 2 hours before having to sit at the edge of the bed, walk around and ice my hip/take Tylenol and Meloxicam. Even the Oxy or Tramadol doesn't help.
I am still healing, so hoping in time this will go away.

Has anyone experienced groin pain before and after hip replacement where it hurt to even move your leg? :what:
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
@Brandywinegirl7 You will notice that I merged your newest post with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
I assume your post refers to the LTHR you had? What is your activity level now? Are you doing any PT or stretches?

Okay Lacey, no problem. This post was about my second replacement (Right Hip) - my first one (Left Hip) was in 2022. The original post in 2022 was about a different hip.

I just had my right hip replacement on 1/29/24. The recent post referred to it.

Yes, many have experienced groin pain in early recovery. At only three weeks post op, it is not unusual.
Your leg endured a controlled trauma, in a very small area. Your muscles, tendons, ligaments and other soft tissue is going to cause you discomfort and pain for a while yet. Take the meds for as long as you need to in an effort to remain comfortably mobile and able to rest easy. If you feel the prescribed meds along with regular icing is not effective, contact your surgeon's office to discuss having your prescription adjusted. Also, you can ice as often as you like, for as long as you care to, but when you do ice, don't ice for less than 45 mins per time, always placing fabric between bare skin and the ice source.

Wishing you comfort and better pain control. Stay in touch and let us know how your're doing.

Also, while you're on the forum, please notice, Jaycey, asked a couple questions at the bottom of her post to you. I'm sure you overlooked them, but it may help us in advising. She asked what your activity level is currently and whether you're engaging in any PT or stretches?

Thanks Layla. I will continue to ice the area - and I will look for Jaycey's replies. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
When I fell on ice 2 years ago that was where my pain was...in groin area.
After my replacement I did deal with groin pain for awhile.
Knee pain, bursitis, a little mixture of everything, pain seemed to jump around!
Now I'm "recovered" & walking close to 4 miles most days, even hiking.
But at my age (72), not sure if you are ever "perfect" again. I have more "perfect" days than other type but every once in awhile I still have to go lay on couch with ice pack or heating pad for an hour.
Maybe I'd be doing that even if I didn't need hip replacement, who knows?
I worked as a server in a very busy restaurant & before surgery I'd come home after a shift & could hardly walk! Hot shower & good nights sleep I'd be fine next day!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
leonardcotton
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom