• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Flying before surgery + Young newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spid

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I'm a 29year old guy and have arthritis since I was about 14, mainly down my left leg. I managed the pain fine with Diclofenac.

However just under 2 years ago the pain became very bad and I thought it had flared up. I booked an appt with a rheumatologist and was ready to be put on stronger meds like methotrexate, etc. He did an X-ray and gave me the shocking news that I needed a hip replacement. I got my head round that pretty quick and the pain has been there daily when I've walked but I I put it off until it was impacting my daily life which was this summer.

Anyway, long story short I met my surgeon the other day and he can perform the op on 21st Nov. My only issue is that I was planning to go away for one of my best friend's 30th and I would kinda like to have one last party with my friends before the op. So the surgeon said he can let me have it done on 5th December.

So my question is if I were to fly for 3 hrs on 22nd and 3hrs return journey on 25th Nov would it be ok to have surgery on 5th December? Surgeon sounded ok with it as its only short haul. If there is a problem with it then I'll make other arrangements.

Sorry for the long winded post but keep up the good work guys. I can tell this is going to be useful over the next three months.

Hi Spid, welcome to BoneSmart! Flying pre-op won't have any impact on your surgery. You will probably be a bit uncomfortable sitting for that long with a bit hip. But that will just be a reminder you are doing the right thing moving ahead with THR. So sorry you have waited so long! You are too young to live in pain. Roll on 5th December!

Spid, so pleased you have joined us here on the forum. I'm going to give you links to articles from our Library that are essential reading for anyone have THR:
THR approaches or incisions
Pain management and the pain chart
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy Drain for THRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Activity progression for THR
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are additional articles that you can read; and of course, you should read members' threads to get individual perspectives on hip replacement. Please feel free to ask questions and voice concerns. We are here to help you in any way we can from pre op to post op through recovery.

Enjoy your trip to your friend's celebration, take care of yourself, and keep us posted. We care.

No problem at all, my friend! It will actually be an excellent way to keep your mind off the event!

Thanks for the helpful replies, much appreciated.

I'm having my Op on the 30th October and flying back on the 15th October flight is about 4hrs

It will be good for you to see your friend and to have the surgrey also. Have a good trip and a successful surgrey. Welcome to the site. Keep us informed how you are doing, we care. :puppysmooze: Tashia :bicycle1:

Welcome to BoneSmart... Go have fun, enjoy and celebrate with your friend, one only turns 30 once and you are close yourself at 29!

Enjoy, let the air hosties pamper you on the trip!

Poppet, Are you on line, If so How are you doing? Tashia

So, I have another question - I've been on Diclofenac (50mg 2xdaily) and Tramadol (100mg 2xdaily). I've been trying to cut the Tramadol down because I'm not sure how much difference it makes. Anyway the GP gave me 50mg Tramadol with my last prescription because of cost apparently.

So I managed to cut down and just take 1 50mg twice a day. But I've been in a little more pain. My rheumatologist says the 100mg are slow release (and the 50mg aren't) so it could be because of that.

Anyone with insight into this? If I get back onto the 100mg will it be better? As now, even when I take two 50s at once it doesn't seem to do much.

I have no expertise in medications, so I will tag Josephine to give you an answer to your question. Don't know when she'll answer, but you will hear from her.

Well, it's more about coverage than dosage. If you take an occasional dose of anything it's going to give you less relief than taking a lesser dose regularly over the day. So if you were prescribed 100mg of a sustained release type, that's going to be more effective than taking 100mg once. "Sustained release" meaning the dose will last about 12 hours, while the non sustained release type will only last for 4 hours. I suggest you try taking 50mgs 3-4 times a day WITH 2 paracetamol (1,000mgs) 3-4 times a day. Add the diclofenac too, if you like.

bwt, I'm assuming you live in the UK ......

Thanks Jo.

Yep, I'm in the UK.

As it was I was taking two Tramadol in the morning when I wake up and 2 just before going to sleep. One Diclofenac in the morning and one at night.

Will try spreading the Tramadol out and hope it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Rkelley
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom