Dr. wants me to wait 10 years if possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am 30 years old and have very recently had a Birmingham hip resurfacing, the way i see it is that with a few lifestyle changes (change exercise to swimming/walking/cycling) and playing the percentages game in looking after my new hip, then i expect that this resurfacing could well last me until i am 45 all being well. Worst case is that it will last 10 years. This will mean a THR at 40 which should then last me somewhere in the region of 20-25 years, taking me to 65. If i then need a revision then that should see me out.

I also have to consider that there are surgical advances every single year. it is not unfeasible to imagine that a lifetime hip replacement is on the horizon.

I see the surgeries as a small price to pay. I am now 3 weeks post surgery and this morning managed to comfortably get in and out of a Porsche Boxster and go for a drive (automatic) and each day is becoming easier and easier so it has hardly been a huge upheaval to my life.

Dean, you may want to check with your surgeon to see if it's OK to continue with your diet program so close to surgery. You are taking in a low number of calories and this may interfere with your general health going into the surgery. You don't want to risk being anemic for sure. Check with him. I read something on my surgeon's website that he discourages dieting for the month prior to surgery. I'm think he is referring to low calorie type diets like your Optifast or other "super diets" and not just cutting back on calories a bit like many people typically do to lose weight more slowly. You want to be sure your body is in general is strong, healthy, and prepared for surgery. Do check with your surgeon soon.

Dorothy

Hi Dean,

I am so glad you ar going ahead with your surgery. Ten years?!! My goodness!!

It is also wonderful that you are taking care of yourself and losing weight! As soon as the pain is gone, you will be ispired to be more active (as Dorothy and others have said) and be even more into "managing the temple".

Warm wishes to you!
Elle

Jo says quite often in different threads, that the lifetime hip replacement is already here..

Jo only repeats it - it's the hip surgeons that say it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Plerea
Recent bookmarks