THR Cracked femur and hip #2

Some good news: last weeks creaks and groans I think may have been (not growing pains, but) maybe some tissue repair/muscle stuff (that's a medical term). This week, the numbness seems to be less, my knee is comfortable, and I feel my walking is more normal - although still no stairs. I feel good, and thanks to daylight savings, have been able to get out and walk a bit after work - farther than I've gone previously. My gait is slowish, but better.
So, that's progress! :yes!:

Woo, hoo, @Atkinson8, I think we'd all agree that progress is great, no matter how we define it. And less numbness, comfortable knees and more normal walking are all things to celebrate. And a slow gait is forward locomotion so hurray for you!

Hello :wave:
That's wonderful news. Happy to hear it.
Daylight Savings Time has been a welcome treat this week. It's a mood booster in itself.
Those short dreary days will soon give way to Spring with all things fresh and new. Like your new hip!
What a great Spring and Summer you'll have. :happydance: :flwrysmile:
@Atkinson8

Hope you are waking up to a good day today, @Atkinson8. Sending sunshine your way today, as we've got it in abundance, and maybe you can get out for a nice stroll today. Enjoy your Sunday!

It's great to hear of your progress.

And doesn't it boost your mood to have longer days! I am jealous of your Daylight Saving, here in UK it won't start till end of March. (I know I could just get up an hour earlier, but somehow I don't.)

It was a good weekend - I got a lot done, as expected, overdid it on Saturday, probably because I'd felt pretty chipper during the week. So, Sunday was a low key day. Today, back to work. I'm about to take a "normal" stroll across campus to a meeting; my goal is to not limp either going or returning to my office "nest." It's a pretty decent walk (for me).
I'm wondering if I should contact my OS about possible physical therapy: I still find it difficult/painful to lift my newest (right) leg out straight, and stairs are still a problem. I'm not a 4 months out yet, so maybe I should just wait and see what happens. Any thoughts?

Hi, there @Atkinson 8. Well, here is me at least voting for a try at PT. I've had good experience with them, although not until I was 6 weeks out from surgery. I know lots of folks think it's not a good idea, I think many, myself included, feel it can be beneficial. So many who've had bad experiences seem to have been "bullied" by their therapists into doing exercises that clearly hurt them--and haven't immediately spoken up. I'm lucky perhaps, because although I'm usually game for trying what they suggest, if something hurt me in any way, I'd stop quickly and not do the exercise. Plus, PT for me has included some massage of my extremely tight muscle on the outside of my thigh(can't remember the name of it but, boy, when even light pressure is applied it is kind of intense) plus ice and/or heat, and electrical stimulation. It might not work for you, but only you can decide if it's worth giving it a shot.

Hi @Atkinson8
I'm wondering if it's simply taking longer due to your cracked femur...
You can always check in with your OS and see what he thinks, as you mentioned.
Let's have @Josephine weigh in also. I've tagged her so please check back in case she has questions.
Hopefully you had a good week. Enjoy the weekend!

I'm wondering if I should contact my OS about possible physical therapy:
Absolutely not! Did you forget our guideline "THE BIG TIP"?

Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

I'm sorry to hear about your shoulder. I have some aches, pain and cracking in both of mine. I thought it was probably from maneuvering the ice packs this last 11 months. I had OA in both hips so now I'm worried that it might be in shoulders as well. Ugh.

How is your first leg feeling? I have to say, I think having the added break probably has slowed it's full recovery.

Actually, the first hip, the one that fractured, is great! Full mobility and very strong. It’s the second one that seems to be taking longer. The last 2days I was in NYC, definitely a walking city. I probably walked more than in the last 8 months, and did pretty well. It just feels like my right knee (new hip leg) doesn’t want to bend or extend easily. That’s the same weakness that effects doing stairs normally. I’m almost at 4 months with the new hip, so I’ll wait and just keep walking. I’m really focusing on heel-toe steps, standing straight, and not limping. Focus doesn’t mean success, just that I’m trying.
To NanaKP, you’ll know if your shoulder is compromised. I haven’t had much range of motion or strength for about a year. Only recently, basically no use of my left arm at all. I’ve joined the shoulder pre-op forum to get ready for my surgery in June.
The good news is, it’s Spring, we’re all moving the best we can, we’re better off now than before, and we have the support of each other! :flwrysmile:

:wave:
The good news is, it’s Spring, we’re all moving the best we can, we’re better off now than before, and we have the support of each other! :flwrysmile:
Very nice thought to begin my day with.
Keep the faith @Atkinson8
You will get there!:SUNsmile:

Hi All, Well, the latest THR is officially 4 months old yesterday and is behaving well. Many people have commented that I'm walking much better, and I appreciate that after so long a stretch where I definitely looked off kilter. I'm still stiff after sitting, and still negotiate stairs one at a time, but I've mentioned that before. I'll give it another week or so before speaking with my OS (just to be assured it's not anything I've done, or not done, to slow things down). Shoulder replacement is scheduled for June 12th, so I'll shift to that forum shortly and prepare for battle.
I do have a long way to go - but I'm on my way. Thanks!

:wave:Good to see update!
'm still stiff after sitting, and still negotiate stairs one at a time, but I've mentioned that before. I'll give it another week or so before speaking with my OS (just to be assured it's not anything I've done, or not done, to slow things down).
Very much the same for me, I think I may have already said.
Plenty of time for strengthening and I just had to do some marching in place and stretching before firing up to walk after sitting...this was true for me for up to a year but I did alot of walking for my job.
You just want to hit all the forums on the site, eh? Bored with us hippys now?:heehee:
I know you'll be glad to get that shoulder sorted so sleep can get easier eventually!
Hope today is a Good Day:ok:

Happy Four Month Anniversary!
You're doing really well considering you're recovering from two major surgeries within 3 months.
You have months of healing to go and lots of room for improvement. May it only get better and better.
Wishing you comfort as you move toward your shoulder surgery.
A great weekend to you!
@Atkinson8

Question: I did ask my hip OS about the sometimes pain in my right knee (newest hip side) when attempting stairs, hills, etc. Previous xrays showed "moderately advanced arthritis" in that knee. They suggested PT, a shot, or you-know-what. Well, the shot is out until after shoulder surgery, I'm definitely not thinking replacement right now (I'd have to be crazy), but I'm curious about PT. I know not to have any for my hip; that's actually doing okay. I wonder if it's worth a try for the knee. I'm asking on this forum because of the honesty with which people urge "no physical therapy needed" - this might be a different scenario. Just looking for feedback. Thanks again!

"moderately advanced arthritis" in that knee
My OS said unequivocally that PT just aggravated the arthritic joint but not sure about knee? And I did try PT before I got a confirmed diagnosis.
Not sure about moderately arthritic knee?
@Josephine ?

That's what I'm thinking. I definitely don't want to aggravate anything at this point! I think I'll wait until after shoulder surgery and try some cortisone. Meanwhile, my hip feels good - I'm walking better each day, and if not, I realize it's mostly due to the shoes I'm wearing, especially those I've had since post both hip surgeries. One step at a time - how many times have I had to remind myself of that mantra? By the way, it snowed here yesterday - not much, but Spring is having a hard time settling in. :flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Air185
Recent bookmarks