• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Confused & In Pain

Issues mentioned that have frightened me
  1. - Implant lasts normally 10 years and then what happens after then is uncertain
  2. - I am too young and if possible delay this by 10 years, if the implant fails, i would have max 2 revisions and after that I would be wheelchair bound or leg amputated :/ !!
  3. - Infection is a high risk for me because I am on prednisolone steroids
  4. - The number of people under 50 are unhappy and wish they never had the surgery
  5. - A patient who had the op 5 years ago is worse off and still in pain
A lot of what you've been told there isn't completely true.

1. Implants can last for 25+ years. A recent study, done by Bristol University and reported in The Lancet, has found this:
"Total knee replacements: 93% lasted 15 years, 90% lasted 20 years, 82% lasted 25 years."
The article is here: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(18)31665-9/fulltext

2. It is possible to have more than 2 revisions of replacements. We've had people here on BoneSmart who have done that. You may, eventually, end up in a wheelchair (slight chance) but amputation is incredibly unlikely. It is a treatment of absolute last resort.

You are not too young. Why spend 10 more years in pain when your knee can be fixed now? These are the only ways in which you are too young:
  • You are too young to be living your life in constant pain.
  • You are too young to have your mobility so badly compromised.
  • You are too young to be giving up the lifestyle you enjoy.
  • You are too young feel so old.
3. The risk of infection is only slightly increased because you're taking steroids. In any case, any infection can be treated.

4. I'm calling rubbish on that one - we've had plenty of people under 50 who are pleased with the result of their joint replacement.

5. That is anecdotal evidence, which is not proof. In any case, that's only one example, not a trend.

The surgeon who told you these things was probably doing so because he is bound to give you "full disclosure". However, when full disclosure tells you the risks, it often does not also tell you whether or not the things mentioned are likely to happen, or could only happen maybe one time in a million.

I think that the surgeon who told you these things does not like to give joint replacements to younger clients. You need to find a surgeon who specializes in treating younger patients.
Perhaps @Josephine can help you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll look up a few names for you.

I have a couple of names for you, both at Nottingham City Hospital

Last year they did
Benjamin Bloch 149 TKRs 45 revisions
Peter James 241 TKRs 41 revisions

Wishing you luck with your second opinion. I think you're right to investigate your options even with your young age. We have no idea what will happen down the road but you do know that your knee is shot now. As your activity diminishes due to the bad knee that has other health implications. I became basically sedentary.

My OS said most knees are lasting at least 20 years these days and many are on track to last longer.

I was under 50 with my first tkr (due to RA). Am I running marathons now? No. Did I want to? No. Can I do just about what I want to? Yes.

Check out all your options and doctors who understand your medical history.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Rkelley