• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

ConforMIS Questions

Beebop

Country
United States United States
Hello,
Brand new poster. Question; did you go out looking for ConforMIS or that is what the OS of yours used? I'm sure your do not have other surgeries to compare to, but I presume this recovery period was a selling point?

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you make a concerted effort to go with a surgeon that used "ConforMIS" product, or did you just go to your surgeon and he happened to be using the ConforMIS device?

"You can watch my surgeon do the same "conformis" custom knee for another patient on YouTube."

Godspeed with your recovery!

While I wasn't able to watch my own surgery, I was able to watch my surgeon do the same conformis custom knee for another patient on YouTube. Real time surgery just over 1 hour. I thought it was fascinating and answered every question I had from how much blood loss to how did he close. It wasn't what I expected but it was educational.

Tell me how your doing with your knee? I'm trying to figure out if I stay in Augusta for traditional TKR or travel to Atlanta for ComforMIS???

No Fire Wolf, I'm on the docket, but digging for information; Traditional TKR or ConforMIS...

@Beebop if you put the @ symbol before a name that will call attention to that person that someone had a question or comment directed to them. I don't know if you have started a pre op thread but if not it would be great for you to do that. That way you have your own thread with questions and answers where you can always find the info. Everyone can comment and write on any thread but if you start your own you can see your history. After your surgery it can be changed to your post op thread. I wasn't on Bone Smart till like 8 days after my surgery but it's really neat that I can look back and reference my journey to two new knees. Welcome to Bone Smart, someone will give you a lot of reading material for you to read. Welcome to the site.:welome:

@Jajakio could you discuss ComforMis with @Beebop?

@Beebop,
Come over and read my recovery thread with the conformis knee and/or start your own preop thread to keep all your information in one place and we will let this one be mostly about firewolf.

@Beebop
In spite of the advertising hype, there is very little difference between the different types of knee replacement. The most important factor for success with a knee replacement is the skill of your surgeon. Instead of searching for a surgeon who uses one particular type of hardware, look for a surgeon who does at least 300 knee replacements a year and has a good success rate.

Knee replacement is major surgery and complete recovery takes a long time - a full year, in fact. Don't believe any advertising that promises a speedy recovery, or you will end up frustrated and disappointed. This recovery is a marathon, not a sprint.

If you will start a thread of your own in the Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area we will be able to discuss this more fully, without disrupting Fire wolf's recovery thread.

@Beebop ,

You'll notice that I have moved your posts regarding questions on the ConforMIS knee to a thread of your own in the pre-op forum. Feel free to ask any questions you like here. Or it's fine to comment on a post in someone else's thread as long as you remain on topic. What isn't good is to post a general question in someone else's thread that can lead the discussion away from the original thread topic.

So please post any away here in your thread. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

@Beebop are you contemplating surgery? Perhaps you can fill us in on your situation.

Beebop,
I'm between 6 and 7 weeks out with the conformis knee and totally happy. I interviewed 3 surgeons. One with a off the shelf knee with computer guidance, one who did a quad sparing side incision and a "sports" knee, and the one I eventually chose with the custom Conformis knee. There are even more options than that out there.

My decision was partially influenced by the conformis knee and partly by the choice of surgeon. I was promised the side quad sparing would heal more quickly too. I like the early studies on joint stability and more natural movement with the conformis. As well as shorter surgery, less blood loss and 20-25% less bone cut off. I think in the end for me, it came down to the surgeon. He had done over 1000 conformis knees and has a super reputation as well as being head of orthopedics at his hospital. I've been pleased and I think you will too if you get a good surgeon. If you want to watch my surgeon do a conformis knee, google William Kurtz, nashville and conformis knee replacement. He has a few short discussions on the conformis knee on YouTube as well as the surgery.

Last edited:
It's far more important to make a good choice of surgeon than to look for "the best" model of knee replacement.

Hey, Beebop, did you have your surgery yet? How are you doing?

I had a LTKR on Au.31 with a Conformis implant.My OS recomended the Conformis knee and I went as far as paying for the CT scan out of pocket (that you need with the Conformis knee) because the insurance wouldn't pay for it.I think it was more than worth it,because I've had a good recovery.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Rkelley