• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Conformis knee - a straighter leg?

Status
Not open for further replies.

susanlondon

Country
United States United States
I am scheduled for my LTKR on May 14, 2014. I had a RTKR (Smith and Nephew) on Jan. 14, 2011. My right leg is much straighter than it was previous to surgery (I am woefully bow legged) and for that I am thrilled (the replaced knee is 99.5% wonderful). I'm hoping that the Conformis knee, which will be created to more closely align with my leg and original knee, will also straighten my left leg. Right now, I have one straight leg (the right) and one bowed (the left). The Conformis company's video testimonials showed a woman who had a partial and her leg seemed bowed. I am concerned that my new knee will not be as straight as I want it to be. If anyone has had experience with Conformis and can comment about the reduction (or not) of bow leggedness, I would much appreciate hearing from you.

I think whether your leg is straighter is far more to do with why your knee was bowed to start with, and with the skill of the surgeon in doing the bone cuts at the right angle, than the make of the implant. My knee was bowed, but that was because the lower bones had realigned themselves when the cartilidge (how DO you spell that?:headbang:) disappeared, any implant would have solved that. As it was it was a Smith and Nephew.
We see lots of questions on here as to which implant is better, and the answer always seems be "none. Manufacturer's video's and advertising blurb are best ignored, they only show you the best bits they want you to see. Advertising hype seems to be more of a problem in the USA, due to the freedom of choice being available.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I'm confused, but so glad to see your response. (I'm scheduled for the CT scan for the new knee tomorrow and although I've contacted the Conformis company and asked my surgeon, no one seems to have a definitive answer! My confusion: did your leg become straighter as a result of a Conformis knee? Thank you for your patience with my slow mind. My anxiety about the whole procedure (as the date looms closer, I am remembering the weeks of discomfort due to my overenthusiastic nature) is clouding my clear thinking. I hope all is well for you.
I agree with you about the testimonials from the company being biased (they want to sell their product, after all :/)

No-one has an answer? That's probably because they also know it makes no difference.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, mine is a Smith and nephew, which worked perfectly, my knee went from bent to perfectly straight. As I was an NHS patient, I asked the surgeon which implant he preferred, because it might just have been the cheapest. He always used S&N as he thought there were no real differences between them.
For whatever their reasons, surgeons always seem to use the same implant for everybody. I guess it's due to the fact that they have a jig to align the saws, and they become accustomed to using the same one.
If the surgeon couldn't make the claim that a conformis implant will make your knee straighter than others, then it's not true. (that sounds like Judge Judy speaking, doesn't it:happydance:).

My innate cynicism of marketing people (I once was one of them) is profound. :whistle:

H'mmmm...I just put in a call to the surgeon's office to clarify (or get some reinforcement). My previous reading and conversation with doc about Conformis brings up the point that the knee (whereas Smith and Nephew is an off the shelf knee) will be a better fit, perhaps fewer ligaments, etc, may need to be cut, and healing (I'd think) may be a bit quicker with a knee that is more accurately designed to fit the femur and tibia bone "knuckles." (my terminology) It's the made to fit characteristic that makes me wonder about the straightness of the leg overall. I appreciate your comments and hope to hear from some other folks who may have experience with the Conformis knee. Thank you, Tykey. Talk soon.

On this side of the pond we have a saying: "You pays your money, and you takes your choice". I'm sure either one will be good, but if you are more comfortable with your choice, then that's good as well.:flwrysmile:

I was terribly bowed out in both knees myself. My doctor suggested doing both knees at once as he did not want me to have one straight leg and one bowed leg. I totally agreed! My doctor uses a knee that he was involved in designing and is patented. The Depuy Sigma Tc3 rotating platform. My legs came out straight after the surgery. It was like icing on the cake to have my pain stopped and to have straight legs. I was very ashamed of my bowed legs....

Susan, the straightness of your knee is not determined by the implant. It is a factor of your surgeon's skill during the surgical process. Your ConforMIS knee will be just as fine as your other straight leg IF you have chosen a surgeon who is very experienced in using this implant and its tools. Please try not to worry about this.

Ligaments are not cut during knee replacement surgery, so that shouldn't be an issue. Your recovery for this surgery will be unique to you, though, and won't be improved or lengthened by the use of a particular implant. The important thing is that you have chosed an experienced surgeon who does at least 200 knee replacements a year.

I also have one straight leg and one to be done in the fall. My doctor used the depuy trumatch. I do believe it has more to do with how you are cut than in the implant that is used. I too am happy with my result!

RTKR - 9th December, 2013

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®

My doctor says that my leg will be likely straight afterwards. It isn't as bad as it could be though. The left is worse than the right, although my right knee is worse. Of course they make no promise of anything. Mine will be Stryker Triathalon.

Thank you so much for your responses to my inquiry. I agree with Gazelle. I was ashamed of my bow leggedness (how vain of me!) and now only have one leg that is bowed (which in some ways is even more odd!). I want them STRAIGHT; there, I've said it! Thank you for letting me vent about this.

My surgeon has been at it for a number of years (20+) but I will check on his status (number of knees). I believe he began using the Conformis a year or more ago, so his track record with that knee in particular may not be in the 200's. :snork:

@trailspud , has a Conformis knee, and an off the shelf knee. He may be able help with your questions.
#1 is the surgeons skill.

If there is a deformity causing bowlegged or knock-kneed positioning, the goal during surgery is to realign the knee withing a very tight window of straightness (<3* if I am not mistaken) and most surgeons today use computer assistance in attaining that goal. There are male/female models, different sizes, even half sizes from some manufacturers, right vs left designs. There may even be some models of prostheses that are better suited for one type of deformity or the other.

Surgeons have different reasons for using different brands. My OS is familiar with and has used many types but usually uses at least two manufacturer's models more often than others. The training received, familiarity with and how comfortable the surgeon is with the tools used for each type of prostheses and even the support that he gets from his manufacturer's reps all may play a part in in which one to use with the overriding concern being the one that best suits the patient's needs.

The plan for me going in was to use the Stryker Triathlon knee but he switched to the DePuy Attune due to many of the factors I just listed.

Hope this helps.

Thank you, all. I will check in with trailspud to see how he/she feels about the difference. The clock is ticking before the CT scan needed for the Conformis knee.:spin:

My confusion: did your leg become straighter as a result of a Conformis knee?
Well, if you think about it - Conformis is one out of about 200 different makes of knee devices. It would be a bit silly if all those others didn't correct varus/valgus deformities, don't you think? It's a bit like saying can you see properly with X's contact lenses! They ALL do a job and according to national stats, they do it pretty well. The deciding factor is the surgeon's skill.
The training received, familiarity with and how comfortable the surgeon is with the tools used for each type of prostheses and even the support that he gets from his manufacturer's reps all may play a part in in which one to use
Exactly! :thumb:

My hubby's knees before and after below. His OS used a Biomet product---more to do with the surgeon than the implant, I think.

Before: Conformis knee - a straighter leg? Conformis knee - a straighter leg? and After: Conformis knee - a straighter leg? Conformis knee - a straighter leg? These are thumbnails. Click on them for a larger view.

It's not the type of knee replacement hardware that makes a difference between a straight leg and a bowed or knock-kneed leg. It's the surgeon's skill in fitting the prosthesis and in balancing the tendons and ligaments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Rkelley
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom