• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Conformis iduo

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuzzybunny

Country
United States United States
My doctor has recommended a custom Conformis iduo instead of a total knee. The implant would cover both the patellofemoral joint and the lateral tibiofemoral joint. My medial compartment is relatively pristine and I don't have pain on the inside of the knee (yet). I am a little ambivalent about this since the results of a total are fairly consistent. Since I have to jump through many hoops in order to have this approved I can change my mind up to the CT scan being sent to Conformis. My doctor will do a total if that is what I want. The idea of something less invasive that may feel more natural and allow more activities is appealing. Anyone have any experience with this type of implant?

I can't offer an opinion on the Conformis. I would suggest that I don't believe a partial is less invasive than a full TKR.

Jean

RTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 June 2016 LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006 Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005

I can't offer an opinion on the Conformis, although I have heard that the brand is good. However, having had a partial knee replacement once that later needed to be revised to a total knee replacement, I don't recommend partials. In general, partials often need to be revised sooner than anticipated.

Given your options, I would choose to go straight for a total (TKR). Inserting a partial knee replacement (PKR) takes a certain skill that not all surgeons have and, in any knee replacement, the most important factor for success is the skill of your surgeon.
However, it may well be that your surgeon does have that skill and is familiar with using the Conformis iduo. Perhaps you could ask him how many of that particular operation, using that model, he does per year?

If you do choose the Conformis, make sure that your surgeon is prepared to do a TKR, if he discovers during the operation that there is damage to your medial compartment.

I agree with PolarBear60 that a PKR is not necessarily less invasive than a TKR. My scar for the PKR was just as long as the scar for my TKR on the other knee, and my recovery took just as long.

Bestwishes for making your decision. Do let us know how you get on.

If your OS gets in there and finds you need a TKR he will use an off the shelf implant that he is skilled in using.
@trailspud has a Conforms Total knee, and an off the shelf knee, he has said he cannot tell the difference.
I tend to agree with Celle, going to Total Conforms may be the better choice.

My doctor is recommending the bicompartmental replacement because he wants to preserve my medial compartment as long as possible because of my age. He is basing this recommendation from the scope he did in February. I have doubts about this so while he is getting everything all set with my insurance I am mulling over my options. If I decide to go for a total it won't be ConFormis, most likely Vanguard.

@fuzzybunny

I don't really have anything to add, just wanted to say good luck in making your decision, which will be the right one for you. I'm almost in the same boat as you, and I am going to advocate, VERY strongly, that I have a TKR, but I'm almost positive my knee is bad enough for one anyway. Please keep us posted on your decision and progress! We are very close in age, so it is nice to have support!

Jen

My doctor has recommended a custom Conformis iduo instead of a total knee The implant would cover both the patellofemoral joint and the lateral tibiofemoral joint.
I believe it looks something like this

Conformis iduo

The only thing I have to say about unicondylars (AKA partials) is that arthritis is a progressive disease and there is a fair to middling chance that it will do just that. However, there are plenty of folk out there who are enjoying a long life with their unicondylars and all strength to them, I say! I hope that will include you as well!

Josephine that is exactly what it looks like. The interesting part is the printed cutting dies. There is a video out there on youtube where several of the pioneering surgeons explain it if you were more curious.

I have seen the videos and had 2 ConforMIS total knees. The interesting part of the brand is that all the cutting jigs are made to make fitting the implant more precise - for each individual patient, but there is a learning curve for the OS and I wouldn't choose a surgeon who did not have a lot of experience with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't have a Conformis PKR but did have a PKR about 5 years ago. So sorry I did it. Wish I had done a total right away. Scar looks like any other TKR so I don't know about less invasive. Looking at a revision TKR sometime in the next few months. Very frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

I had a PKR first. I was luckier than you - mine lasted for 11 years before it had to be revised to a TKR.
Although I was apprehensive about the revision, it turned out to be no worse than the original surgery.

When I was offered a PKR for my second knee, I said no thanks, and waited until I could get a TKR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties