• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

ConforMIS Iduo partial knee replacement??

Status
Not open for further replies.

tennisjunkie

I just turned 37 years old and I'm preparing for a partial knee replacement using the ConforMIS Iduo implement. Does anyone have any experience with this new type of surgery/device? Also, can anyone tell me what I can expect recovery wise with a partial knee replacement? How long in the hospital for a partial? Do I need full time help driving, etc.? My OS is replacing the middle knee and lateral compartment, but leaving the medial portion alone. Any advice on how to prepare myself and my house for the surgery would be greatly appreciated. I have an 8 yr. old and 10 yr. old, so a fast recovery would be ideal. :) I also have a moderate scoliosis of the spine and am prone to lower back spasms, so any advice on comfortable sleeping/seating set-ups that worked well for the immediate time post-op would be welcome. Thank you!

TJ-
I am sending you a private message. I am one of the few PKRs around this forum--- and glad to share the miracles of that procedure. Catch up with you later!

Oh come on, Beach! Share that info! There may be other PKR members or lurkers who want to know as well!

Me included!

ok... but it was kind of long....

I had a LPKR (medial) Dec. 21st. Mine is a Zimmer so I know nothing about the specific type you are having implanted. I was in the hospital for 2 nights. I had a spinal anesthetic for the surgery and epidural for pain control post-op. It was very effective. I also had lower back problems (L5 nerve compression) and the epidural kept me very comfortable for more than 24 hours then switched to IV and oral meds.( I had back surgery 3 weeks later).

I went home on crutches and began weightbearing pretty much right away. I used the crutches for a few days in the house then began walking without them. I used a cane when I started leaving the house. I had my staples removed at 10 days post-op and drove myself to the appointment and walked into the office with no cane. I could drive short distances with my left PKR and automatic transmission, but the vibrations did hurt early on. Comfort level for driving after a RPKR would take longer, I would think.

I chose to do outpatient physical therapy because I had been working with them for both my knee and back for a while and felt I needed their expertise as I healed and strengthened. Many PKRs choose to do only home exercise programs on their own. Depends on how you feel and your progress. My ROM came back pretty quick-- but with a LOT of hard work.

As far as your home is concerned--- I picked up all throw rugs so I wouldn't stumble on them. I have no stairs in my home so that was easy. Some folks have had problems with tripping over pets.... you don't want to fall!

I am a back sleeper with a heating pad under my lower back to keep the muscles relaxed. I used 2 king sized pillows lengthwise under my leg to elevate my knee above my heart. That is important to help reduce swelling and pain. I came home with a Polar Care ice machine and used it 24 hours a day in the hospital and the first day at home, then started icing just off and on as I was up and around more. I did my home exercises twice a day (per my PTs instructions).

Now, 8 months later, my new knee is my "good knee". It sometimes twinges a little and I still ice it when I think it needs it. The scar is well healed and "silvering" nicely. It is only about 4 inches long and off to the side. I went snorkeling in late June near Cozumel in Mexico and can climb stairs and ride my regular bicycle and do basically whatever I want-- other than running and jumping-- and I don't want to do that anyway!

The TKR folks have a longer, harder recovery for the most part. NOT that PKR is easy by any means, but my ROM came back sooner than most of the other folks here. Try to go into your surgery with your muscles strong. Do leg lifts to strengthen your quads (bend the other knee to protect your back).

Hope that helps. I am corresponding with another PKR gal who had her surgery about 3 weeks ago and she is doing very well.

Let me know if I can help in any way. Good luck to you!

Carolyn (aka Beach)

Long? You jest - only half the size of some of my posts! Great info!

Thanks again for the info Carolyn. My surgery is scheduled for mid-October. If anyone knows about the Conformis/Iduo, please post before then. Best to all!

Sorry, we strayed off topic there!

Partial KR are very successful and have a much shorter recovery/rehab time than totals. However, the routine of physio (PT) is much the same as a total. You could read many threads here about people's experiences in that area.

My sister-in-law had a partial about a year ago and bounced back really quickly.

As for the actual prosthesis, well, I have said many times on here that one prosthesis is much the same as another - what makes a good outcome is the right surgeon, the one with the appropriate skill for which ever prosthesis he uses. However, since this will be an implant
custom made for you, I would think the outcomes would be excellent.

Have you seen this page on the main BoneSmart site? Complete with an animation on it's use. There's one for the patients as well but doesn't have the same degree of info.

I think my partial is a Smith & Nephew. Beach and I are the most active members of the PKRs on the board. She has held my hand many times. My experiences are a little different than hers so I will share too. I had surgery the morning of August 12. They used general anesthetic and I was not ill nor groggy really for very long. They had me up at around 5:00 that night to walk to the bathroom - they did not use a catheter. I was released the next morning with my CPM and exercising instructions and pain meds. My OS doesn't think that outside PT is necessary with a partial if you do the exercises as indicated. But he will if a patient thinks they NEED it. I plan to ask him what he thinks when I go for my appointment next week. I am in a lot of pain but if I pay attention to the meds, I can at least be comfortable enough to DO the exercises. Do NOT neglect your ice nor your "stockings". I feel much more comfortable wearing mine around the house. I live alone and up 22 stairs, so believe me, you can do anything if you want it bad enough. I'm looking forward to the day when I can walk without hurting at all. Keeps me going.

Wow! I went to this site and it certainly sounds like a great option for people who meet the criteria and particularly for younger folks since it does not compromise the bones which would affect the future TKR most will need. I really liked the way the video showed the custom made implant fitting around the bones rather than the surgeon cutting the bone away to fit the implant.

I checked the physician list and the closest to me is in Seattle, which is about 225 miles away. But hey--- if I can go there to watch a baseball game I could go there to get my other knee resurfaced when the time comes. I am certainly going to keep an eye on this technology!

Thanks for the link Jo!

And Tj--- be sure to let us know how it goes!

Yes - I was quite taken with that aspect also! I am looking to see if there's anyone in the UK that does them! Somehow doubt it - be a tad pricey for the NHS!

They are broadcasting a live surgery using the Conformis Iduo device on October 9th. Here is the site if you are interested:

https://www.or-live.com/conformis/2500/

I did the CAT scan for them to begin building my new knee a few weeks ago and I'm scheduled for October 29th. They will be replacing everything except the medial area. I'm so excited to get this over with! My knee is like a big fat swollen balloon and I'm tired of lugging it around. Best to all!

Thank you for sharing this info! I just turned 38 and have been dealing with knee issues forever, it seems! I originally injured my 'bad' knee 16 years ago and have struggled w/ it on and off since then. This past week, my surgeon (who I absolutely LOVE), finally said "it's time" for more surgery and talked to me about the partial replacement. We have had many conversations about the need for surgery "someday", but I was really shocked that we had this conversation. Anyway, it is going to be a while before the surgery can be scheduled (insurance stuff...there is a piece of my knee that is tied to workers comp and they always make things difficult). In a way, I wish I could just schedule and get it done! Too much time to think about things isn't always good! I know the surgery will make it better, but I can't help but think that I know what this pain is like and am dealing w/ it--not well, but still....

Anyway, thank you for listening! My husband is super-supportive, but no one really understands what going through this process is like--unless they have been through it themselves.

mj5, welcome to BoneSmart! I am so sorry to hear that you are facing PKR at your age but well, needs must and all that. Keep in touch and if there is anything, any question you need answering, this is the place for it. Better if you start your own thread, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties