• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Concerned that my ortho surgeon does not use tourniquet during TKR.

quicklabs

Country
United States United States
I was rather surprised by this, and at the time didn't think to ask him about why this is the case. Wondering if this is becoming usual practice. He does somewhere in the neighborhood of 400 TKRs a year. How do they control bleeding and keep a clear visual field? I know I had a tourniquet for the TKR on the right--my thigh ached for days and days. Anyone else go through a TKR without a tourniquet?

I think it's becoming quite common for surgeons to not use a tourniquet.

I'm going to ask @Josephine , our Nurse Director, to talk about the measures taken to control bleeding if a tourniquet isn't used.

I’ve had many problems from the tourniquet. I’ve read that it isn’t used as often these days. I wish my doctor hadn’t used one.

My OS did not use a tourniquet for knee #2. As I recall, he used some drug that helps minimize blood loss. Josephine would know what it is.

How do they control bleeding and keep a clear visual field?
The same way that non-orthopeadic surgeons control bleeding! By carefully applying cautery to every little 'bleeder' that pops its head up! And hip surgeons are never able to use tourniquets either!

There is a very detailed description of this in the Forum Library - guess you've never seen it! Well here it is Blood loss during surgery - how is it measured or controlled?. Read it and you'll soon have your mind put at rest.

I would also seek to reassure you by telling you that many cases I've scrubbed for - hips and non-tourniquet knees - have actually had minimal blood loss because of the care the surgeon used in controlling the blood loss.

I would also seek to reassure you by telling you that many cases I've scrubbed for - hips and non-tourniquet knees - have actually had minimal blood loss because of the care the surgeon used in controlling the blood loss.
Thank you, Josephine! I do feel reassured.0

Just to let you all know, I am so happy he did not use a tourniquet. I had quite a bit of drainage after the surgery, but nothing terribly unusual. My thigh muscles are so much less painful than they were when a tourniquet was used. AT day 3, I am feeling pretty darn great.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Sinister17
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom