• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Concerned my surgery may be delayed..

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmartChoice

Country
United States United States
I am scheduled to have TKR 11/19, and I have been very sick fighting mold allergies as well as a probable cold or virus for the past two weeks. I have seen the dr., dr prescribed meds, no antibiotic, but Wednesday he started an antibiotic, taking the last dose today. Our basement dehudifier quit, have a new one ordered, but mold count in home is probably high, we live in Southern Missouri and mold is the worst I have felt in years!!! My concern is, this HAS turned into bronchitis, have had pneumonia before, cannot get my flu shot due to this illness, and feel I must get it before TKR.
Am I correct in being concerned at this time? I am worn out, and considering moving surgery to January.

Well, it's not a given either way. I suggest you contact your surgeon and explain all this and see what he says. If you are going to require a postponement, best to do it sooner rather than later.

I was worried, too---I had a slight little head cold but they went ahead with mine. I agree with Josephine---let your surgeon know ASAP so that things can be taken care of, one way or another.

My Preop health visit is this Friday. I 'm feeling a bit better tonight, I'll see how tomorrow morning is, if not well, I'll call dr. to see how to proceed. Thank you! It really helps to have others who understand.

Another thing to consider, that the TKR procedure does have an effect on your endurance. You are a month away from you surgery date which is good news. But think about the recovery and give yourself the best environment.
Good luck,
David

Another thing to consider, that the TKR procedure does have an effect on your endurance. You are a month away from you surgery date which is good news. But think about the recovery and give yourself the best environment.
Good luck,
David

Yes, that's what I am considering, it's utmost important to be in good health, especially respiratory health before undergoing anesthesia, and not feeling strong another, because I need to feel prepared and rested for the BEST outcome! Currently, I can't even get a flu shot in this condition, seeing dr. today.. :)

Discuss with your doctor and make the best choice that will give you the best chance for surgery physically and mentally. :flwrysmile:

This has been a very bad two week mold allergy flare, dr. prescribed a steroid, and that I cannot get my flu shot for at least two weeks from today, he recommended rescheduling my TKR because this has been too hard on my respiratory system, and I'm weakened. The OS requires flu shot two weeks prior to surgery date. I may be a January surgery date instead of November.. :(

Oh i am so sorry you have to wait (you were supposed to have your surgery on my birthday!). I've been waiting since March and it is nerve racking!

Hugs
Denise

-- I started taking a 21 dose pkt. of prednisone today, still hoping to get well and get flu shot and have TKR on 11/19, do you know if it's a problem taking steroids this close to surgery or anesthesia?

I may have to reschedule my surgery... Thank you!!!

So let me see, it's a whole month away! I think you'll be fine even if it was a problem!

Plenty of time to get your ducks in a row. Check out our library from what to bring to the hospital, your house prepared and getting your rehab lined up.
Best of luck,
David

The BoneSmart library is a wonderful source, I wrote questions down and made sure to get some answers at my Preop check-up. I have a wonderful team that showed/explained to us what aids they use postoperative, the ice machine, filtering blood, as well as explaining the femoral nerve block, and that my knee will have a brace on it every time I walk until the block wears off. I have my neat gadgets to prepare as I am the first surgery on 11/19, and I'm already pre-registered. :dancy:

Fantastic to have the answers and best of all to be first for the day - less waiting on the final day. Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties