• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

THR Butt pain when I sit

Cats2023

Country
United States United States
Hello, have a great experience with my anterior thr in July of 2023. Flawless, up and moving about, no issues. Now, I cannot sit on my car without being very uncomfortable and painful going on a trip won’t be home for 2 weeks so I can’t see the Dr right away. Has anyone experienced this? A little worried…..

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us!
Please leave the exact date of your July THR and identify which hip was replaced.
We will use that information to create a signature for you.

See if your symptoms are the same as those in the article below -
Piriformis syndrome - a pain in the butt!

If so, many have experienced this. If interested, feel free to use the SEARCH feature at the top right of the page typing in key words. Threads where the key words you used were mentioned, will pop up.
I hope you find relief soon!
@Cats2023

This was definitely something that I experienced for a few weeks after my hip was replaced. I felt like I was sitting on a tennis ball, or rock, and it really hurt. I got one of those air pillows to sit on, and also sat on an ice pack when it really hurt. However, this symptom did leave on its own within a couple months.

Did you have the same discomfort right after your surgery or is this new? Once in awhile I will get a similar pain when I sit, even though it has been over 5 years since my replacement. When this happens, I do the piriformis stretches, and sometimes sit on an ice pack, and it always leaves. The stretches are really helpful!

If you are really in a lot of pain and concerned, perhaps you could do a tele-health visit with your doctor, or call the office and ask your questions so you don't spend your trip worried. Good luck.

If the pain is mid-butt, it's not uncommon after hip surgery to develop sciatica symptoms - with or without pain radiating down the leg - by impingement of the sciatic nerve by the little piriformis muscle.
Here's a link to our article about piriformis syndrome and sciatica.

As noted above.... Give it rest, ice, and gentle stretches.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member