Bladder infection-will it delay my op?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonjess

My first operation was cancelled and I am now due to have my operation on 11.10. I have a bladder infection which is being treated (3rd lot of treatment) I am going for my preop on friday - is my operation likely to be cancelled due to the infection. I am worried and any advice appreciated ?

Hi jonjess, how long have you been on antibiotics? And can you clarify - is your op on October 11 or November 10 (UK versus US way of writing dates). I'll tag Jo and see if she can comment after you clarify. Josephine;

Short answer is yes it can be cancelled. Specially that near the hip - don't want any of those nasty bugs creeping around the operation site, do you?

thanks for your response which is what I feared. I am going for my pre op 2 weeks before the operation is due so am hoping that rather than cancel 2 weeks before they may allow me a bit more recovery time from the bladder infection before the operation with a view to my recovering from the bladder problem. I am hoping that in the next few days things sort themselves out and that any cancellation is left to the last possible moment. If I were to recover just before the operation in your experience do they need to have me clear of infection for a specific period before the operation. I am sure you can sense my desperation to get the operation done !!

I was recently stricken with Diverticulitis in mid august, and I have a mild hernia. I asked if both procedures could be done at the same time . My doctor said no, and explained there are basically two types of surgeries "clean" (joint replacements, repairing my hernia via a sling) and "dirty" (any type of corrective infection type surgeries). You cannot risk mixing the two.

Have they tried a different antibiotic to clear up the infection? I've had UTIs that responded to one antibiotic, but not another. You still have time to get it cleared up, so if you haven't tried a different antibiotic, get on the phone with your doctor to get a prescription for something else.

Dorothy

Oh, if it's 2 weeks away, you shouldn't have any problem. Jaycey did ask you to define your date as we don't know if you live in the US or the UK - we use our dates back to front! Fear not, you have plenty of time to get it sorted.

Hi jonjess; welcome to your BoneSmart international family, great that you have joined.

I am still unclear as to what date your surgery is scheduled.. ?

Very pleased you have joined, do come back and ask any further questions :)

Just to clarify my op is planned for 11th October.I went for my premed today and explained that i have an infection that is being treated.they said that we will need to check my urine again to determine whether infection is cleared.I will keep my fingers crossed that its sorted before op day

Thanks jonjess;

You have approx two weeks, so I am sure if they have prescribed the correct antibiotic following the culturing of your urine sample you should be ok..

Fingers crossed for you hon :)

Hi jonjess;

Just thought I would drop by and see how you are progressing with your UTI treatment.. Is your surgery still scheduled for 11 October ?

Hi poppet my infection has now cleared up and all being well my operation should go ahead on Thursday.I will keep you posted as to how I get on.thanks to all for support

Very good news jonjess! Good to go! :happydance:

Just wanted to update you all.I had my surgery on Thursday.I am taking time to recover having low blood pressure,an increased heart rate and needing a blood transfusion.I have been out of bed for 2 hours today but was in a lot of pain and I am now completely wiped out.is my recovery normal ?

Jonjess, it's a bit early to be asking if things are normal! Can you start a new thread in the Recovery Forum? I'll keep a watch for it and reply to you in more detail there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Plerea
Recent bookmarks