• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Shoulder

ladyjane5

Country
United States United States
I am seeing a new OS this week for arthritis of my shoulder. I had 2 injections a month ago which helped somewhat.
What is the success rate for arthroscopic surgery on arthritic shoulders

@ladyjane5 That depends on what the actual problems with the shoulder are. If the damage is to soft tissue such as a rotator cuff tear then arthroscopic surgery may be a good way to go. However if the problems is from severe arthritis with the shoulder joint being bone-on-bone (ie no padding at all - or very little - between the bones) then alas you will probably need a total shoulder replacement. And that can not be done by arthroscopy. The OS should be able to tell from x-rays an/or MRI or CT scan what particular problem(s) are present in your shoulder and will make appropriate recommendations for treatment.

I saw the OS surgeon today for a 1 month checkup. I have started physical therapy for my neck/shoulder and have switched from meloxican to Voltaren.
I have had a guided cortisone shot in my shoulder and 2 branch guided shots in my neck
No significant changes in neck or shoulder with the shots
Pretty much decided to go through with shoulder surgery this fall
The OS told me the shoulder surgery should help with the pain in the bone on bone shoulder
But the neck spurs in the neck could still be a problem
I have said no to nerve ablation in my neck at this time
I have had right knee replacement and right thumb surgery for arthritis
Sure hope I am on the right track

@ladyjane5 We just might be recovery buddies come Fall. This right shoulder has been a problem child for me for about 15 years. It’s been tolerable until the end of last summer. The pain and grinding convinced me to be evaluated by a shoulder OS. He said surgery was up to me because there was bone on bone evidence on the X-ray. I tried a cortisone shot totally expecting nothing. To my surprise, I have gotten pretty good relief and mileage from it so far. It’s starting to complain again but I’m hoping to get to next fall before surgery. Maybe a second injection in the spring, if needed, will do the trick.

Having had other joint surgery, you already know the drill: you get to a point that surgery is the way to relief. It sounds like you’re on the right track. I’m pretty sure of my track as well. Keep us posted.

@ladyjane5 We just might be recovery buddies come Fall. This right shoulder has been a problem child for me for about 15 years. It’s been tolerable until the end of last summer. The pain and grinding convinced me to be evaluated by a shoulder OS. He said surgery was up to me because there was bone on bone evidence on the X-ray. I tried a cortisone shot totally expecting nothing. To my surprise, I have gotten pretty good relief and mileage from it so far. It’s starting to complain again but I’m hoping to get to next fall before surgery. Maybe a second injection in the spring, if needed, will do the trick.

Having had other joint surgery, you already know the drill: you get to a point that surgery is the way to relief. It sounds like you’re on the right track. I’m pretty sure of my track as well. Keep us posted.
I saw my os this week and I am going to have shoulder surgery either august or september
Have to get a dental clearance and then I can schedule a date
He told me it might be a reverse because of all the arthritis I have and my age (79) might show weakness or tears in the rotator and rather than do a standard and have future isdues it is better to just Do a reverse surgery. I have had a right total knee replacement and thumb surgery on my right hand. I take Melocoxin daily and do silver sneaker exercises, chair yoga and some tai chi.
Lately I cannot raise my left arm in the am and when I do so it feels like my arm is going to fall off and hurts like hell. Does this seem like a good plan. Also I have been in PT for about 2 months and will continue 1 x a week until surgery
Thanks in advance

@ladyjane5, from your description it sounds like surgery is not a just a 'good' plan, but inevitable. I know you'll do great. Just curious, given the amount of pain you're experiencing, why are they having you wait so long for surgery?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Rkelley
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom