Anyone with comments on THR revision for MoM issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go to the hip recovery area and look for the yellow revision THR in front of thread titles. Click on one of the yellow revision THR labels and you will get a list of every revision THR threads. Lots of comments for you.

Have you had revision surgery yet? I'm going to move this thread to pre-op until you confirm your surgery.

I'm sorry to hear it, what were your symptoms and when did you get your first hip replacement? Do you know what type of implant you have eg., metal head on metal or poly liner, ceramic head on poly liner, etc.

A moderator will soon stop by and can answer any concerns you have.

@geo1 can you please give us a bit more information than just one liners? Is this an issue with your implant? Are you planning on a revision? Has someone advised you that you need a revision?

My RTHR is awesome. It is a DePuy Pinnacle. Metal on metal. One year ago my chromium level was 3.1 and cobalt was 4.5. Insignificant increase from 3 years ago.

The note on test said: levels are high, discuss with your orthopedic surgeon what to do regarding this. Of course I haven't! I have heard horror stories about revisions.

I am pretty active and am afraid that a new one would not be great like the one I have now. However I will make an appointment tomorrow with the surgeon and listen to what he says.

geo1 I just found this: LINK I know Derek McMinn and value his opinion.

"There is a lot of confusion in this area because of the different measurement techniques and specimens used, and the units in which they are expressed. Different cut-off levels have been advocated by different authors varying from 2 to 25 parts per billion, ppb (34 to 424 nanomoles-per-litre, nmol/L) of cobalt, none of which is based on any valid test of systemic toxicity."

MPE: Metal on PolyEthylene
MoM: Metal on Metal

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks