Recent content by willib

  1. W

    TKR How much have your quads recovered?'

    @Jmf003 Glad to hear someone else had a good recovery and is able to cycle hard and fast. I'll be interested to see where things end up in term strength and fitness by this summer. At 14 months since my last TKR, I'm way ahead of where I was 12 months ago. While I don't race, I ride with...
  2. W

    TKR How much have your quads recovered?'

    Today is the 1 year anniversary of my 2nd TKR. I feel extremely fortunate. I feel like the poster child for things couldn't have gone better. I went into my first RTKR as an avid cyclist apprehensive that I would not be able to get back to the same level. I couldn't walk straight, but I was...
  3. W

    TKR How much have your quads recovered?'

    JMF - hopefully you will continue to recover and get stronger. In my case, my recovery has gone far far better than I could have ever imagined it. I am similar to you with 8 months post LTKR and 10 months post RTKR. I believe that I have exceeded both my muscle strength and best ever fitness...
  4. W

    TKR How much have your quads recovered?'

    It is now almost 8 months since RTKR and 5 months since LTKR. I realize many people on this forum have struggled to fully recover and I wish them the very best. My own experience has been far more positive than I could have imagined. In some ways, my story is for those who are still fairly...
  5. W

    TKR How much have your quads recovered?'

    @Arttie I hope you won't be installing a new dishwasher again anytime soon, that would be a real bummer. :-) One of the side benefits of TKR and PT is that it is providing some quality family time. My son tore is ACL last year skiing and just had it reconstructed last week. He is staying at...
  6. W

    TKR How much have your quads recovered?'

    It's now a bit more than 9 weeks since my LTKR and 4 1/2 months since my RTKR and I really have nothing to complain about. I was off pain meds after 4-5 weeks. Occasionally I take an Aleve but usually not more than once or twice per week. It's not as if I was 20 years and never think about my...
  7. W

    TKR How much have your quads recovered?'

    I asked my ortho about what exercises I could do and if there were any I should avoid. He said that I had no restrictions. I asked specifically about leg presses and he said they are fine and encouraged them. He recommended staying away from open chain exercises such as seated leg extensions...
  8. W

    TKR How much have your quads recovered?'

    I am at 4 1/2 weeks after 2nd TKR and continue to make good progress, better than anticipated. I stopped taking any Oxycodone 4 days ago and only use Tylenol or Advil if needed. I also stopped all the other drugs to battle oxycodone side effects, stool softener, laxative. I also stopped...
  9. W

    TKR How much have your quads recovered?'

    It is now 2 weeks and it continues to go well. Reducing pain meds to 1 5mg oxy as needed. Mostly use it at night when trying to sleep. Yesterday I drove for the first time, I just make sure I haven't taken any pain meds in 4 or 5 hours. I started going back to work 1/2 time, showing up...
  10. W

    TKR How much have your quads recovered?'

    Day 6 update. I really can't complain. My first recovery was far better than I had hoped and this one is also going well. Pain is very manageable, never more than 3-4. I'm taking 2x5mg Oxycodone and Tylenol every 4-6 hours starting around 6-8PM which helps a lot with sleep. I wake up in the...
  11. W

    TKR How much have your quads recovered?'

    LTKR is done. Came home after 1 night at the hospital. Had one glitch that fortunately fixed itself. The morning after surgery I couldn't wiggle my foot at all, i. e. dropfoot. Toes wiggled a bit, but no control to pull up foot. Caused a bit concern, enough that surgeon and his fellow...
  12. W

    TKR How much have your quads recovered?'

    Tomorrow is time for LTKR, or as I like to say bionic knee #2. I had my last workout this morning on the elliptical plus a round of weights, leg presses and squats which completes recovery #1. My first bionic knee was in mid Sept. I feel extremely fortunate that my first recovery was much...
  13. W

    TKR How much have your quads recovered?'

    I have continued to research the issue of quad loss and rehabilitation. I made contact with someone at https://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/colleges/medicalschool/education/degree_programs/pt/research/researchfacilitieslabs/Pages/MPLab.aspx They sent me some papers to read. I haven't had a...
  14. W

    TKR How much have your quads recovered?'

    My original reason for posting was based on articles like those below. The articles state that even after 1 year, quadricep weakness persists, and walking and stair climbing performance is less than people who have not had a TKR. What I'm interested in finding out is if anyone has made a...
  15. W

    TKR How much have your quads recovered?'

    Josephine Thanks for the response and the link. I can easily imagine how this could be a horrible experience with PT causing pain. I guess I have been fortunate on several fronts. My PT told me not to take pain meds before PT because he wanted to make sure that he never pushed too hard and...
Back
Top Bottom