Recent content by Tykey

  1. Tykey

    TKR pathways app

    Hi Jo Wo, I strongly agree with your philosophy about managing pain. Sympathy and medication have their part to play in pain control, but I've found that how we think about it is very effective, and far more consistent, with lots of other spin off benefits to anxiety and depression. Some people...
  2. Tykey

    TKR Not Again

    Great comments BBCG. One of the main reasons for not sleeping is worrying about not sleeping, then we get in a vicious circle. If we REALLY can't sleep, do something enjoyable while we are awake. We are also programmed to think that the time between (say) 11pm and 7am is for sleep, and think...
  3. Tykey

    TKR Not Again

    You'll have to bear with me for a while on this thread! The reason we can't sleep is that our minds keep churning away in the background and winding us up. We worry, we imagine all things which might happen, so we get all het up. Its no wonder we can't sleep. I've spent years trying to calm my...
  4. Tykey

    TKR Not Again

    I have trouble sleeping at the best of times. It was even worse when I was in recovery from both my tkrs. In the wee small hours, I think I saw every episode of Dr Phil and Judge Judy (plus many uk programmes on Youtube). I often had to get out of bed and cook some food for me, nearly always...
  5. Tykey

    TKR Worried and Afraid

    It's life changing, for the better! Keep that at the forefront of your thoughts, be positive, and you will sail through it. I had not one negative thought the whole thing, and sailed through it. The second knee was even easier than the first, a positive attitude, and loads of jam roly poly...
  6. Tykey

    TKR Dealing with negativity

    Here's a blunt answer Why allow yourself to discuss it with anyone, other than with people who are qualified to do so? . Other than us, of course because we understand from our own experiences which are actually are relevant.
  7. Tykey

    TKR Second guessing second TKR

    My second one settled down just as quickly as the first, but after 18 months it's never been as good. A bit stiff! But I never forget that they were 10 years apart, I'm now 73, so lots of joints aren't as good as they once were. I accept what it is, no point in my wishing otherwise. But I...
  8. Tykey

    TKR Birdwatcher's recovery thread

    Jamie, one of the best posts I've read for a long time
  9. Tykey

    TKR Round Two

    Yes, remember Aesop's fable, the tortoise and the hare.
  10. Tykey

    TKR Round Two

    Shin splint pain goes straight down the front of the shin, almost to the ankle, so it doesnt really sound that this is the culprit.. But its far too soon to be fretting, its only one month since your op, try to be patient and be happy with baby steps.
  11. Tykey

    TKR Round Two

    Pain in the shins, also known as shin splints, is often due to walking on your toes. If you think about it, the muscles in the shin then take all your weight, and aren't strong enough to do that. I had them badly, my PT looked at me walking for two seconds and said "make sure you walk by putting...
  12. Tykey

    TKR 4 Weeks now

    We nearly all have insomnia. The worst thing we can do is lie awake worrying about it, which makes it worse. I just accepted it and just got out of bed, and doing something else, such as reading, TV, radio, YouTube, cooking and eating, or just writing a meandering blog on here. Never had...
  13. Tykey

    TKR 10 months now and still hurting

    And yes, you are doing too much reading, Dr Google hasn't even examined you!
  14. Tykey

    TKR Getting stressed re Nurse visit today!!

    The bend almost always gets worse in the first few days, so no panic! But it always comes back as the knee heals and the swelling goes down. Just keep up the gentle exercises as far as you are able but not to the point of pain. After a month or less, you will pass the 90 degrees and more...
  15. Tykey

    TKR What finally made you decide to have a knee replacement?

    My decision was taken when I was 61, when I walked up the many steps to the old Abbey on top of the cliffs at Whitby, in Yorkshire, the one famous as a home of Dracula. Actually, it was on the way down again, I was almost on my hands and knees! I remember my thoughts, "I've had enough of this!!"...
Back
Top Bottom