Recent content by TurtleKnee

  1. TurtleKnee

    TKR Right TKR on 12-10-24 recovery in progress

    Doing OK, doc said just fine. Knee is still a little stiff but doing almost everything that I had been doing before. Still not sleeping that well, though, but better than the first knee replacement. Use pillows at night under my legs and move them around to get comfortable. Still working on...
  2. TurtleKnee

    TKR Right TKR on 12-10-24 recovery in progress

    Thanks, getting better every day!
  3. TurtleKnee

    TKR Right TKR on 12-10-24 recovery in progress

    My next goal is to be able to sit on a couch or chair and not have the knee pain and sciatica. I think it might be getting slightly better. When it starts hurting I get up and move around or sit in the recliner with my feet up. I also got some special exercises from PT than may be helping...
  4. TurtleKnee

    TKR Right TKR on 12-10-24 recovery in progress

    I have been swimming since I was 12 and competing through HS, college, and masters. This above was only about half of what I usually do and less than half speed, doing sets of 200's and resting. I also coached and taught swimming in addition to my regular job at the CDC. Felt great to get the...
  5. TurtleKnee

    TKR Right TKR on 12-10-24 recovery in progress

    Another milestone today. Back to swimming practice after 5 weeks and 3 days. I swam 1/2 mile today, which is about 32 laps of a indoor pool. I usually swim 6 times a week, but just got cleared to swim again since surgery yesterday. Great to take another step into getting back to "normal"...
  6. TurtleKnee

    TKR Right TKR on 12-10-24 recovery in progress

    Great day today! At 5 weeks and 2 days was able to drive to PT! Therapist said that I am progressing beyond what they would call average; difficult workout today but was able to do it. I did read back and do follow the suggestions that if it hurts too much don't do it or let someone do it to...
  7. TurtleKnee

    TKR Right TKR on 12-10-24 recovery in progress

    Andypandy most of the stiffness is due to the swelling. I got help from a special PT person who treats swelling and got Velcro wraps for my legs below my knees. Also am taking Naprosyn 500 mg at night which helped swelling in the past. My swelling went down in one week over 5 cm in both legs...
  8. TurtleKnee

    TKR Right TKR on 12-10-24 recovery in progress

    Yes Andypandy, tried to sleep with a very thin flat pillow last night, really started to hurt, so back to the thick pillow again. But this is still better than my L knee replacement 4 years ago when I did not sleep in a bed with a pillow for 4 1/2 months, only in a recliner. Getting impatient...
  9. TurtleKnee

    TKR Right TKR on 12-10-24 recovery in progress

    Andypandy, I think someone else had trouble with the dining chairs. I am having trouble sitting more in soft chairs like a couch or recliner (without reclining). Not much trouble sitting in the hard dining chair. Also trouble sitting in the office computer chair which has a soft seat. When I...
  10. TurtleKnee

    TKR Right TKR on 12-10-24 recovery in progress

    I drove at 4 weeks with my left knee replacement. My PT said my range of motion is OK with my right driving knee, but still too stiff for me; aiming for 6 weeks. I try to keep moving around a lot which helps. Thanks for the comments, nice to know I am not alone and others have similar problems
  11. TurtleKnee

    TKR Right TKR on 12-10-24 recovery in progress

    Thank you, 4 week anniversary plus. Still having problems sitting, especially on a couch or soft chair, the sciatica I guess. My PT also said it is radiating pain from my knee up and down. Changing positions helps a lot, but I cannot keep moving 24/7. Hoping to be cleared to swim soon, after...
  12. TurtleKnee

    TKR Right TKR on 12-10-24 recovery in progress

    Well, I am finally sleeping again, after a little more than 2 weeks I was able to arrange pillows lengthwise and sleep 1-3 hours at a time. However having to pee a lot; doc says it is most likely fluid that is being drained from my swelling. Both legs were swelling so used Velcro wraps that I...
  13. TurtleKnee

    TKR Right TKR on 12-10-24 recovery in progress

    At what point were you able to drive again? This is my right knee. I hate for my husband to have to take me to my appointments.
  14. TurtleKnee

    TKR Right TKR on 12-10-24 recovery in progress

    Well here I am again trying to recover from my second knee replacement. My first one was 4 1/2 years ago with my left knee. I started a new thread for this knee since what I am posting now applies to my right knee. I had almost forgotten how difficult this was. At two weeks the largest...
  15. TurtleKnee

    TKR Trouble sleeping after LTKR

    Update on one year follow-up exam today. X-rays showed that everything was normal and doc was pleased with all the activity that I was doing. When I mentioned again the stiffness and pain after lying in bed 2-3 hours, he said some people take longer than others to get through this, and the...
Back
Top Bottom