Recent content by svo1956

  1. S

    TKR svo’s recovery road

    I just wanted to pass along some info I got when I went to a “non-traditional” doctor about my problems sleeping. He made a number of recommendations and I have adopted some of them. I started taking “natural calm by Natural Vitality”, which is a magnesium supplement but supposedly there is...
  2. S

    TKR Recovery Questions

    @AliK - my surgery was the day before yours. I have started to dread people asking how I’m doing, not because I’m not doing ok, but because if I tell them I’m walking and driving and taking care of myself, I know they are wondering why I’m not back to all the demands of normal life. I’m lucky...
  3. S

    TKR svo’s recovery road

    Thanks @Celle and @sistersinhim. I’ll try running the towel over it. I’d read about that but thought if wearing long pants including jeans, which I’ve been doing, didn’t help that might not either. But maybe it’s different and certainly worth trying! Thanks again for so much help!
  4. S

    TKR svo’s recovery road

    Happy Labor Day everyone! Still suffering here with very poor sleep. What keeps me awake is the combination of irritation/sensitivity of the incision and the need for my leg to move, but not pain.I don’t want to take sleep aids, but I have been trying using the tens machine and massaging the...
  5. S

    TKR svo’s recovery road

    Last TKR my PT was a woman close to my age and I enjoyed working with her. This time I went back to the same place but got a guy probably around 40. He mentioned he expects he’ll have knee replacement in his future but he is wedded to his point of view. So far I’m standing my ground ok and he...
  6. S

    TKR svo’s recovery road

    @Laurenkate - being a north shore person I like the cold water :). The Cape in October should be glorious. Here’s my question today. All is going fine, moving along at the expected slow pace. Like everyone else, I swing between acceptance and frustration/distress. While I can walk down stairs...
  7. S

    TKR I Feel Like the Tin Man these Days

    @Laurenkate - just read your concerns about extension. With my first TKR 3 years ago it took many months to get extension. At PT they worried me about it, I did those exercises which I found very painful. I worried about it until I went back to work and had to try an extended all consuming...
  8. S

    TKR svo’s recovery road

    @chicklet - maybe I should try melatonin. I took it once years ago and felt unwell in the morning so have never wanted to try it again. And @Laurenkate - am I to hope for a cold then?:) It’s so true - it takes me those 2 hours to be up, showered, dressed and have eaten breakfast, taken whatever...
  9. S

    TKR svo’s recovery road

    Thanks for the responses about the PT! I went back yesterday and talked about my concerns and we had a very mild PT session. He absolutely believes that I have to keep pushing it to bend more or scar tissue will form and get me stuck. I think we agreed to disagree and the only thing that really...
  10. S

    TKR svo’s recovery road

    Ok - I’m back with a PT question. I went to my first out pt PT appointment last Thursday and there were things I liked and things I didn’t. I’m preparing myself for how I want to communicate with the therapist when I go back tomorrow. One thing he had me do were “bridges”, which I had never done...
  11. S

    TKR svo’s recovery road

    Just checking in on a good note instead of a complaint or concern. Today is 3 weeks post op and I just had my next to last home PT. I have been feeling as though I haven’t been doing even minimally enough activity-wise, so I am pleased that I could run through the exercise routine with no...
  12. S

    TKR svo’s recovery road

    Yes, thanks, been using the frozen water bottles. I was concerned it would be difficult to carry the bottles and extra ice up the stairs to the machine and then carry the full bucket to the tub to empty it out when done. But I used it last night and I can manage it fine, it’s a bit of a chore so...
  13. S

    TKR svo’s recovery road

    I went out for a short stroll, TED hose and all, so at least I accomplished that. And I’m going to switch to different Tylenol to see if that helps at all. The really good news is that my stomach has started to feel better, it was awful to feel sick on top of the rest of this. @Laurenkate I...
  14. S

    TKR svo’s recovery road

    So I am 2 1/2 weeks out from surgery and feeling as though I am failing to take control of my recovery. I don’t think I have managed pain relief as well as I should and I don’t think I’m moving as much as I probably should be. I tell myself that all is going well - home PT says I am doing great...
  15. S

    TKR I Feel Like the Tin Man these Days

    Getting myself to put on the dreaded TED hose is my least favorite thing right now. I took a day or so off and then read about them again and scared myself into putting them back on. I just despise them. I so love taking my strolls around the block in July weather wearing them
Back
Top Bottom