Recent content by Sigma1

  1. Sigma1

    THR My surgical options just became very limited. Advice?

    I suggest that you consider Robot Assist hip replacement, even though it will cost a premium. I googled this: robot assist hip las vegas I see one that uses the MAKO system came up. They may be backlogged, but that would be my suggestion. The point of the robotics is the increased precision...
  2. Sigma1

    THR Pain post op

    At 4 days, I expect you are near peak pain. Post surgery, the pain in the thigh is normally going to be much more than the incision site. During surgery they stretched your muscles. Sometimes there is numbness for a good while. Numb has its advantages. That cold treatment can be good. It may...
  3. Sigma1

    THR FInally did it- March of 2023...now another question for all of you

    Are good hip doctors booked that far out? Dang I hope something opens up sooner.
  4. Sigma1

    THR Question about keyhole incision from Mako robot

    I would try a big adhesive bandage over the area that you don't like the clothing rubbing on. 2 inch x 4 inch is a common big size.
  5. Sigma1

    Too much joint space

    I suggest seeing a doctor at a place that specializes in hips and knees.
  6. Sigma1

    Bilateral THR In home care RN?

    Eureka, CA is in Northern California. Some think that San Jose is in Northern California. It is a 5 or 6 hour drive between those two. Some forum more local would probably help you find that local info better. Medicare may pay more toward some time in a nursing home (rehab) than you realize...
  7. Sigma1

    THR FInally did it- March of 2023...now another question for all of you

    I had some knee pain, but not sharp pain, in the side of the hip surgery. It cleared up a while after hip surgery. Not immediately, but fairly gradually. However the knee discomfort was never that big. I was just thinking that might be progressing. So glad that has gone away.
  8. Sigma1

    THR Don’t know why I worried so much

    @Nanny7 For driving, getting into and out of the car is the hard part I think, assuming an automatic transmission. Your surgery was on your left hip. Most US folks do not realize that in the UK, the accelerator is on the right, and the brake would normally be operated with the right foot...
  9. Sigma1

    THR Help me I'am FREAKING OUT!

    Once you have made the decision, I would stay away from the videos and description. Anterior, yes. I think robotic assist is worth the premium. Tell the doctor that you are anxious, and ask that he address that with medication the morning of surgery. May happen routinely, but I asked. It...
  10. Sigma1

    THR Hip surgery 3/8

    Consider getting a lift chair for the first week or two at home. If you could borrow one or rent one, that would be nice, but maybe you would like one longer term. Getting up to go to the bathroom can be hard, and unless you have somebody to put something under your legs in bed, how could you...
  11. Sigma1

    THR THR 1 week out. Leg feels longer than non-surgical leg

    Getting the legs to have equal length, and for a hip operation, I think that means to line up the knees, is a major job of the hip surgeon. Consider having a friend, or a friend of a friend, that doesn't know which leg got operated on to tell you if the knees are in line when lying on your...
  12. Sigma1

    THR Few questions about hip replacement

    I agree with the others. Good deal. The cup is pressed/pounded into a hole that is just slightly undersized. The stem is pounded in to a preshaped hole, and holds well. I did not use a crutch, but instead uses a walker (zimmer frame) for a while, and then a cane. I made it a point to not limp...
  13. Sigma1

    THR If Your Surgery Is Postponed.....

    I would work on leg lifts on the floor or bed. Put your left foot adjacent to your right knee. Try to lift your straight right leg to match the angle of your left thigh. If this is too difficult, then this would not be a good choice. If you can do 10 or more at a time, that would be good. You...
  14. Sigma1

    THR Sleeping following surgery

    I would give a friend a key, and keep a phone handy. You could alternatively get a lock with a combination outside, and give the combination over the phone if you need unexpected assistance. Also, on back sleeping, I was a side-only sleeper for years, but after surgery I found that back worked...
  15. Sigma1

    THR Seeking Advice, Need Both Hips Replaced

    I would think bilateral hips would not be good. Moving around is hard enough with one hip done. I think worst hip first, and then 2 months before the second would be about right. Bilateral I would think would be for more athletic folks, that could do pushups and pullups, for example. I would...
Back
Top Bottom