A bit late joining the party here but I have been reading everything I can find that relates to BTKR as well as all the literature in the library. I would have popped in a few times to share my story but wanted to wait until I had some ok, good news. Up until Sunday I really thought I made a big mistake and there was no turning back. Always in pain, couldn't sleep well, afraid of pain meds but took them, no choice. But I think one of the worse complications for me were gastro issues due to the oxy. Let me start at the beginning.
About three years ago I noticed that my right leg seems to be caving a bit, I watched it and also found there were things I couldn't do anymore, bowling, running, skating and most of all tap dancing. It was painful and awkward to say the least. Having just finished dealing with another health issue and surgery I was not ready to address my knees because by this time the left knee was inching inward. Not much choice left.
How bad can this be? Little did I know. Surgery went great, had femral block and good pain management, PT in hospital was sitting me up and dangling my legs. Three days later I am off to rehab where I was very comfortable, medicated, good PT, few bad experiences due to staff but nothing terrible. Eight days later they send me home ....reluctantly I might add. I liked not having to think about anything except me! Meals served and meds handed out, PT came and got me, nice big showers with warm towels, not too bad.
Two days after coming home I got hit with what they feared was C-diff (I knew it wasn't, didn't act like it) but did wind up in urgent care for about eight hours getting hydrated and tested. It's a blur but I remember I felt awful.
Once I was home I decided it was time to do a bit of research on BTKR and found this site...all I can say is I really needed to read, read and read some more. Thoughts that I was thinking kept appearing on others threads ....feel like groundhog day, my knees will dictate their own recovery. I felt so much better.
- Birthday
-
Nov 20, 1947
(Age: 78)
- Location
-
NJ
- Gender
- Female
- Country
United States
- Occupation
- Psychologist and College Professor
Sibbi
BTKR March 18, 2014