Recent content by RedbirdFL

  1. R

    THR RedbirdFL's Recovery Thread

    Hello! It's been 3 months today since my THR. I've been doing really well, except I think I joined the ODIC yesterday. We went to dinner with my son and his family. While at dinner, I noticed that I was able to get up from the table and walk right away without having to pause to get my hip...
  2. R

    THR RedbirdFL's Recovery Thread

    Good morning! I'm back with another question! :) My surgical scar still hurts. Not all of the time, but it can often be fairly tender. Otherwise, the scar looks fine. It doesn't look like there's an infection (no redness or heat), but I do still have a bit of swelling sometimes in that left...
  3. R

    THR RedbirdFL's Recovery Thread

    Thanks @Layla! It's always so good to be able to come here and get answers to my questions and reassurance that this is all a part of the healing process.
  4. R

    THR RedbirdFL's Recovery Thread

    Thank you, @Layla ! I am sleeping a bit better. But for the last few days, my thigh has been achy in the early evening. It's mostly achy close to my knee, but is not the knee itself. I haven't done anything unusual lately. Is this achiness normal?
  5. R

    THR RedbirdFL's Recovery Thread

    I had my 6 week check up with my ortho yesterday and he has released me from any restrictions and from his care! I still have a slight bit of swelling in the left thigh, a mild amount of discomfort, and some numbness around the incision, and he assured me those would disappear soon. And I know...
  6. R

    THR RedbirdFL's Recovery Thread

    My surgery was 4 weeks ago yesterday, and I'm doing well. I'm walking most of the time without my cane. As some of you said, I just started doing it without thinking. There's still a bit of muscular and nerve soreness in my left leg, but that's gradually getting better. Most of the steri...
  7. R

    THR Anterior THR on April 27, 2023 - yikes!

    @floodedsky , I used a toilet raised seat for about a week after my surgery. And my husband had to help me on and off the toilet for the first few days, even with the raised seat. After that, I didn't need the raised seat, but used my walker or cane to help me get up from the toilet. I took a...
  8. R

    THR Abductor wedge pillow - sleep tips request

    With my anterior THR, I was allowed to sleep on my right side with a pillow between my legs and two pillows under the foot of the left leg that had surgery. But my right arm and shoulder would get sore after a few hours, so I did spend part of the night sleeping on my back, with 2-3 pillows...
  9. R

    THR Anterior THR on April 27, 2023 - yikes!

    Hi! I had an anterior THR on March 27, and I've been pleased with my recovery. From the beginning, I had no restrictions with bending, although the soreness kept me from doing much bending! And I could sleep on my back or on my side, but not on the side that had the surgery. (I saw the ortho's...
  10. R

    THR RedbirdFL's Recovery Thread

    LOL, my name is Robin, and growing up, my uncle called me Redbird, so that's generally the name I use online. But, I do like birds, and have a lot of cardinals at my feeders! :) @thepuckhead , what interesting birds do you get at your feeders?
  11. R

    THR RedbirdFL's Recovery Thread

    I think I've injured my incision. I'm 3 1/2 weeks out from my anterior THR and had been doing great. I didn't have any restrictions from my doctor except no running, jumping, or soaking the incision in a pool or tub. Maybe I joined the ODIT club today - I hope that's all it is. I was sitting on...
  12. R

    THR A New Ride Begins - The Puckhead's recovery

    Thanks for this encouraging news. I'm about 2 months behind you and it's good to know that eventually, I'll be able to get up and walk fairly smoothly. I've lurked on your recovery thread since it started because you had your surgery about the time that I found I would need a THR. Glad to hear...
  13. R

    THR RedbirdFL's Recovery Thread

    Over the last 24 hours or so, I've had a sharp, sudden stinging pain in my incision. It generally comes and goes pretty quickly. The incision doesn't look red or swollen or anything. Is that the nerves in the incision area coming back to life, the steri-strips irritating my skin, or something else?
  14. R

    THR RedbirdFL's Recovery Thread

    What's your best advice for how to get the adhesive from the bandages off my skin?
  15. R

    THR RedbirdFL's Recovery Thread

    It's been two weeks since my surgery and I think I'm doing pretty well. I'm using the cane more than the walker. I've had some outings in the last few days - a trip to Lowe's on Friday, a visit to my daughter's on Sunday (she and her family lived down the street from us, but left yesterday to...
Back
Top Bottom