Recent content by nlthomp

  1. nlthomp

    TKR Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

    kimejen Hi Jenny--Great to hear from you. Have you spoken to your OS about the pain in your foot? Funny, these strange aches and pains we get everywhere. My 4th and 5th toes are still partially numb, although the sole of my foot came back to life :) Glad the leg lifting is working for you now...
  2. nlthomp

    TKR Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

    Hi jiimbojunk! Thanks for checking in. Boy, you are flying through this recovery. I'm so happy you are doing so well. Sounds like you have a PT that is willing to listen. They can be difficult to find :) A swim sounds like heaven. How is your scar healing? Good luck weaning off the meds. I'm...
  3. nlthomp

    TKR Finally

    Hi Chickie! Congratulations and welcome aboard. I had to sack my first PT for pushing too hard. It seems to be a common complaint on the forum. I had the same discussion about being overly aggressive, but somehow I always ended up getting hurt. Just couldn't scream STOP fast enough! Sounds...
  4. nlthomp

    TKR Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

    Just thought I'd check in on you kimejen. How are you coming along? We're at almost 11-weeks now. Can't believe how time flies. I'm looking forward to continuing my therapy at home, at my own pace. Ms.fixit is truly inspirational! So many strong, smart people on the forum. I'm so happy to have...
  5. nlthomp

    TKR Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

    Hi there jiimbojunk! Thanks so much for taking the time to write. I'm in awe of you BTKRs!! Can't even imagine going through this twice. Sounds like this knee is a real newbie, at only 3-weeks. I've gotten such good advice here, especially about stretching exercises. Roy Gardiner directed me to...
  6. nlthomp

    TKR Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

    I'm right there with ya, Ms.fixit! My last PT session was on Thursday, and before I knew it my leg was being pushed down so hard, I couldn't catch my breath to say STOP!! Needless to say, the last two days have been miserable. Lots of pain and stiffness. I decided yesterday that I'm going to...
  7. nlthomp

    TKR total and partial KR

    Hi Bamagirl--Just wanted to stop by and remind you that it will get better! I look at some of my old posts and can't believe how far I've come in only 10-weeks. I'm not saying it's not painful at times and stiff, but I'm beginning to see small signs of encouragement. This forum has helped me...
  8. nlthomp

    TKR Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

    Hi Tashia--Congratulations on your upcoming 1-year birthday for your LTKR :) I look so forward to the day when I can wake up and not say "ouch!" As far as meds go, I'm finding every OS to differ in their views. Mine wanted me off ASAP. So, I've been weaning off following Jamie's chart. Down to...
  9. nlthomp

    TKR Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

    Hi Jenny--Thanks so much for taking the time to write. Everything you say makes sense. I can't imagine coming home from the hospital with so few pain meds! I really don't know how you got through that first month. I have read so much on this forum that has been useful. My flex is 112 and...
  10. nlthomp

    TKR Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

    Thank you very much!!
  11. nlthomp

    TKR Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

    You know when he said it, I thought he was referring to atrophy that had taken place over the last year. I assumed that not all muscles, tendons, ligaments, etc. are able to regain their original flexibility. I had also read that extension was much harder to regain than flexion. So... his words...
  12. nlthomp

    TKR recovery starts 21 May '13

    Lol!! Great post. Sounds like you're doing wonderfully. Best wishes on your continued success and looking forward to your updates :) All the best, Nancy
  13. nlthomp

    TKR TKR surgery a success!!!!!

    Just wanted to stop by and wish you good luck with your recovery! You're correct about the strength returning on it's own. One day around week 7, I noticed that I was walking up the stairs normally, rather than one foot at a time. It felt really good to see stair climbing return so naturally...
  14. nlthomp

    TKR Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

    Hi Roy. Thanks for your feedback :) I've been stretching, using the chair and a belt to lift the leg, pulling back on the ball of the foot. I also stretch the calves by using the belt. I can feel the hamstrings and calf muscles stretching, and nothing has noticeably swelled. My knee is still...
  15. nlthomp

    TKR Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

    Happy Memorial Day weekend Bonesmarties!! I hope everyone is finding some relaxation this holiday weekend! After hitting a few bumps in the road, I have a question for those with extension problems. Long story short, I had been doing very well with an extension of 2 after 6-weeks of PT. Prior to...
Back
Top Bottom