Recent content by Mimibmgc

  1. M

    TKR 3 weeks out and exhausted after PT

    Thanks for the reminder that 'a knee is a knee' and its different for everyone and even between knees. My first knee seemed to be much easier than this one but it was the 'better' knee. Elevated and iced today after a walk where I had some swelling and the swelling definitely went down.
  2. M

    TKR Post-Op Left Knee Replacement

    If the Tylenol and ice don’t work well at night ask your clinician about prescribing Gabapentin. I can’t tolerate narcotics well and it helps with the pain and getting to sleep. And ice as much as you can! Also for PT I have been prescribed at home PT (much less intense) for 2 weeks before going...
  3. M

    TKR 3 weeks out and exhausted after PT

    Thank you for your reply. I love icing and do it often the way that you recommend. I think I need to lay flat more and keep it up when I sit. Didn’t think I would need to do that for so long
  4. M

    TKR 3 weeks out and exhausted after PT

    Ok - don't know if I'm doing this thread thing correctly but here goes, hopefully someone sees this and replies. 5 weeks out from surgery and felt good enough the other day to sit at my desk and get some work done. Had a lot of work so sat at the desk the better part of the day (getting up...
  5. M

    TKR 3 weeks out and exhausted after PT

    Thanks for the replies and reminders that I'm still early in the process. Guess I have to remind myself of that constantly.
  6. M

    TKR Knee Swollen and Red week 1 post procedure

    First of all, as others have said - call your doc and voice your concerns. As for my story, I started getting a lot of swelling about day 5 in my entire leg including my foot. Therapist said its normal. I also got a the Lounge Doctor leg pillow (shown on this site) to elevate my leg after my...
  7. M

    TKR 3 weeks out and exhausted after PT

    So had my second TKR on July 14th and started PT (outside the home) on Aug 2nd. It's been tolerable but I'm finding that the day after PT I'm not in pain as much as I'm exhausted and don't feel like doing much at all and want to nap all day. Two days after PT, I'm walking around and to the point...
  8. M

    TKR 3 weeks out and exhausted after PT

    I was so surprised by how well my new knee was working this winter after my replacement last Sept, I decided to do it again - it was done July 14th. Can’t wait to join the July Sparklers forum! This site was so helpful the last time so I’m looking forward to using it again!
  9. M

    TKR September surgery done!

    Thanks for all the input! I had read about concerns with PTs pushing too hard but since I had worked with these therapists before I thought we were on the same page. They did pull back after I told them what happened and i experienced the cramping and spasms while in session. Their planned...
  10. M

    TKR September surgery done!

    Started PT outside of the home last week. Seems that I did a little too much in trying to get 'on track' and ended up with severe swelling for a couple of days. Then came some severe muscle cramps in my shin and ankle. PT says this is because I am now using muscles that weren't functioning...
  11. M

    TKR September surgery done!

    Your experience sounds very much like mine including the glue and staples approach
  12. M

    TKR September surgery done!

    Day 17 - finding there are good days and bad days and that I probably shouldn't be doing as much as I am on the bad days. Trying to relax and take it easy but feel like I'm not going to recover correctly if I don't push myself. This surgery definitely requires a different mindset to rest and...
  13. M

    TKR September surgery done!

    Thanks all for your advice re relaxing. Now on day 11 and the knee feels a bit better. I've been getting up and sitting in a chair for part of the day since the weekend. Yesterday did my bed exercises (quad sets, mini 'clams', leg rolls) without much pain. Waking with walker around the house...
  14. M

    TKR September surgery done!

    Thanks all for the support pre surgery. I’m now starting my 3rd day post surgery. Because of the nerve block I had virtually no pain from pre-surgery at 3pm until 5pm the next day. I did not want oxy because of a prior bad experience so was discharged having been dosed up with Toradol, 25mg...
  15. M

    TKR September surgery

    I’m having my left total knee replacement on this Thursday September 23rd and I am so scared. I know it’s the only option left for me but I’m scared nonetheless.
Back
Top Bottom