Recent content by mgdurand1

  1. M

    TKR Recovery not the cake walk I thought

    My last post, guys. Saw this and had to let you know it was OK. I fully understand. No offense was taken. Your experience sounds absolutely grueling. I have been lucky so far. Will keep you in my prayers. Mike
  2. M

    TKR Recovery not the cake walk I thought

    Celle, I read your post and the number scale you used made perfect sense to me. I think what we experienced truly was a definitional problem. Josephine, lighten up. No one is attacking your experience or credentials. There is no need to do so. I agree with Celle at this point. I will bow...
  3. M

    TKR Recovery not the cake walk I thought

    ___ Hi. If that was the case I would never have started any PT. I always have some pain when I begin and so has everyone I know who has had a knee replacement. I mean, I have some pain when I am not doing PT. Now if this is a definitional thing again that may be the issue. I include any...
  4. M

    TKR Recovery not the cake walk I thought

    Morning here in my part of the country. if Celle's definition of "aggressive" PT is the operative description for that term, then I can't argue with the point and would say that working to the point of excruciating pain that damages the tissue further does not seem to me to be helpful...
  5. M

    TKR Recovery not the cake walk I thought

    Excellent article/study. Thanks! I agree it does not address the agressive versus non-agressive issue, but I also agree it is relevent. Funny thing in my case is that the most intensive aggressive PT I did was the first week when I was following the sheet and wanted to work as hard as possible...
  6. M

    TKR Recovery not the cake walk I thought

    50yrold, Congrats on your progress, my friend. The comment to listen to your body during the healing process is to me excellent advice. After week one I started doing that and the progress has been much better than anticipated. My personal situation is different than yours in that my knee was...
  7. M

    TKR Recovery not the cake walk I thought

    Hi, Josephine (I love the "Mother Hen" moniker). While I do understand the value of patient satisfaction scores and the like, if there are no data to support the theories then each side's proponents have only that: opinion. Even controlled studies that do not adequately account for confounders...
  8. M

    TKR Recovery not the cake walk I thought

    One of my few! <g>. Thanks, Celle. You take care! Mike
  9. M

    TKR Recovery not the cake walk I thought

    Hi, Celle. Hey, no apologies necessary. I am a trial lawyer and I know bossy when I see it and can deal with it. You did not come across as bossy at all. And my wife is a registered nurse so I have some experience in that area as well! <g>. What we have are differences of opinion in how to deal...
  10. M

    TKR Recovery not the cake walk I thought

    ________________ Hi, Celle. I appreciate your comments and your personal experience, but you are not, I think, reading my complete thread comments. The heavy PT was exactly what I was doing for a week. Too much work - too much pain. After that, my wife (an RN) and my PT advised me to slow...
  11. M

    TKR Recovery not the cake walk I thought

    Thank you so much! I have definitely scaled back from that first week ("I can do this! All I have to do is work more than they told me to and do each exercise long after it hurt real bad!") and the improvement has been steady and noticeable. I think the best preparation was in my head, and my...
  12. M

    TKR Recovery not the cake walk I thought

    I will pass that on to him next week! And you are right - he is a keeper. Hard PT day today, but I took my first steps with my cane as opposed to my walker. First jaunt around the place was a bit painful but later did two more and it was fine. He told me to try using the cane around the...
  13. M

    TKR Recovery not the cake walk I thought

    ___ My friend, I envy you in many ways! We are both about 2 1/2 weeks post op and you are not using any walking aids? Man, I picture you with red tights and a cape! No, seriously, from what you are telling me your numbers are very good for this stage of your recovery. I know it is not as...
  14. M

    TKR Recovery not the cake walk I thought

    ___ I have to admit it is difficult to come to a complete understanding of the situation as it is applicable to each of us because each of us is different and react differently to exercise, pain meds, etc. I am on Dilaudid every time I go to therapy and much less powerful meds when I am not...
  15. M

    TKR Recovery not the cake walk I thought

    _____ My PT agreed with you and in fact while I am still working hard I am not pushing it to the point of excruciating pain. When the pain gets to the point where it is noticeable I stop. The PT told me that "no pain, no gain" is NOT the rule in knee replacement recovery. I think your...
Back
Top Bottom