Recent content by lovetowalk

  1. L

    THR Coming to terms with THR

    I had my left hip replaced in June 2014. At first I doubted that I would ever be glad about having it done. At this point I am so glad it is done. I am able to walk without pain and most of the time don't even think about the hip. The hardest part for me was the worry cycle it set up. I tend to...
  2. L

    THR For those who REALLY want to run or jog or similar ......

    I am just happy to be able to walk for a hour without pain! My husband is a cross country coach and runs a large running camp for high school athletes every summer. At camp we use Aqua Joggers for athletes who need the training without the pounding. They first clear that with their docs, but the...
  3. L

    THR 11 weeks since my LTHR

    I have used several foam rollers and found them to be very helpful. I have also used a rolling pin for ankle tendons which helped a lot. I would not use a hard foam on my operated side because it seems like it would hurt. As much as I love hard exercise, at this point in my life my goal is to...
  4. L

    THR Recovery

    Bring nice flat walking shoes to Paris. It is a wonderful walking city!
  5. L

    THR Pain in hip after nine years.

    Thanks Debbie. Nice post. I'm thinking the same way you are. It takes longer than expected, but you DO heal. Glad you are doing better.
  6. L

    THR Recovery

    Here I am at twelve and a half weeks. My husband says I walk without a limp. Although I am not 100 per cent recovered yet I realize how very much I had given up because of my hip. Today I went to the grocery store and did several other errands that I would not have done before. I am almost ready...
  7. L

    Bilateral THR Trouble sleeping-anxiety 6 days post op

    The same thing happened to me. I took Xanax maybe four times and then I relaxed. After that Just resting was ok because Sleep came an hour and a half at a time. Now, at twelve and a half weeks, sleep is normal and I only wake up once a night which is my normal. The sleeplessness does end!
  8. L

    THR Six Weeks out from an Anterior Hip. Where Should I be?

    Hi Lee, I am a week behind you. What you describe seems normal to me and sort of describes how I feel, too. We are not going to an outdoor evening wedding in Vermont because I know the coldness and uneven ground will cause a setback. Going to running camp in NH was good for me because there was...
  9. L

    THR Six Weeks out from an Anterior Hip. Where Should I be?

    Hi Lee, I am only five days behind you surgery wise. My husband is the director of a big camp for cross country runners so we are just finishing up our second week here. I sure do miss running, but for the first time since surgery I walked to the end of our somewhat hilly dirt road (2.2 miles...
  10. L

    THR Anterior approach 2 week post-op - something not quite right

    I had this happen, too. The clicking was just as you described. Everyone told me it is normal. As the muscle tone comes back it will lessen. Mine is almost gone. If I am really tired it might come back. The real challenge is not doing too much. This is not like an athletic injury where exercise...
  11. L

    THR Recovery

    Today is nine weeks. Although there is a lot of soft tissue healing to go I can finally walk again. Today I walked over a mile on a dirt road with hills. No cane! I need to concentrate when I get tired so that I don't limp. The clicking is almost gone although I still feel a little out of line...
  12. L

    THR Pain in hip after nine years.

    I don't think you are whining. I took medication for a few years in fact. It worked quickly for me and I don't need it now. Retirement has that effect! Sounds to me like a second opinion may be in order. It can't hurt. Just make sure you truly have an independent doc. The second opinion...
  13. L

    THR Pain in hip after nine years.

    Debbie what you say really resonates with me. I definitely feel loss and grief, not for my hip, but for youth and strength. Tomorrow will be nine weeks. I expect to feel some pain and discomfort for quite some time to come. Knowing that I am not alone in these feelings really helps and I hope it...
  14. L

    THR Pain in hip after nine years.

    I am almost at the nine week point. I still feel very, very frail. I went in super fit and came out twenty years older. That is how I describe it. At this point it is tenty five percent physical and seventy five percent mental. We are both a lot stronger than we think!
  15. L

    THR Recovery

    Thank you, Josephine, and thank you for tagging him. This recovery process would have been so much harder without you! It helped so much to know what is within normal limits and that I could take it slow and easy. It really made all the difference.
Back
Top Bottom