Recent content by kernsac

  1. K

    THR Finally made an appt but now thinking twice

    I remember thinking I shouldn't consider hip replacement, because I could get up and down off the floor, wasn't bedridden, could take the dog for walks, etc. But my husband helped me realize that, although I could do these things, I wasn't enjoying them, and was becoming less and less able to do...
  2. K

    THR I'm back! THR 5 years apart, question about outpatient, etc...

    I went home the same day with both hip surgeries, and was glad I did. I had a spinal and light sedation with both, and didn't feel anything. I was alert right afterwards, able to laugh and joke and eat and drink and text people. Once the numbness wore off, I was able to walk. I was worried about...
  3. K

    THR I'm sure I'm not the first person this has happened to...

    oh how disappointing! I can sympathize, because my first hip surgery was postponed a week because of a work stoppage at the hospital where it was going to take place. Hopefully your test will be negative and you can get rescheduled soon.
  4. K

    THR Why did I wait this long?

    Oh, I can so identify! I think part of my issue was a reaction to the flippant way people told me to "get new ones" when they heard I had hip pain. But also, the medical professionals try to do whatever they can to help people manage the condition without having major surgery, so it's easy to...
  5. K

    THR Looking Back on Deciding to Have Surgery

    Hi, all. My husband and I were looking back on my decision to have both hips replaced. I can't remember what got us on the topic; perhaps it was something we saw on the news. But let me share how our discussion went. We were thinking about how surgery is something that is looked at as a last...
  6. K

    THR Kernsac's Left Hip Recovery

    Hi there! Thanks for stopping by. I'm doing really well. It feels so good to be able to walk and move without pain. I try to pop in occasionally to encourage others who are in the pre-surgery stage, or wondering if they should have surgery, just to share what a blessing it's been for me!
  7. K

    THR Pros and cons of early intervention

    I remember thinking I wasn't ready for my hips to be replaced. I could still get out and "walk" the dog (okay, "waddle" the dog!). I wasn't bedridden or anything. And the medical professionals were talking about how osteoarthritis was treated in steps, starting with medication and physical...
  8. K

    THR Anxious

    I remember how scared I was when I finally decided hip replacements were necessary for me. I am so glad I had them done, and it's such a joy to be able to walk and move and exercise without being in pain!
  9. K

    THR Should I book an apt with consultant

    It sure couldn't hurt to have an evaluation from someone who can tell you your options. It may or may not be the right time to choose to have surgery. But if relief from pain is an option, and the evaluation tells you the best option for doing this, why not go for it?
  10. K

    THR First THR June 25 - very scared

    I was very scared when I realized that hip replacement surgery was the only way I was going to be free from the osteoarthritis pain I was suffering. I had both hips replaced in two separate surgeries, and am so glad I went through with it. Now I can walk and exercise and move around, and enjoy...
  11. K

    THR THR Questions

    after my hip surgeries, I slept on my back for about six weeks, with a wedge between my legs to keep me from crossing them. After six weeks, I was allowed to sleep on either side, with a pillow or blanket between my knees, again to keep me from crossing my legs. Now that I am fully recovered, I...
  12. K

    How long did you take narcotic pain meds after THR?

    I just took pain medication for a couple days. mostly I managed my pain with Tylenol with home health and my surgeons blessing. When asked what my pain was like, I would say it was about a level two. It wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought it would be.
  13. K

    THR Spinal block or general anaesthetic?

    I had spinal with sedation for both my hip replacements, and it was wonderful! I was scared of the idea of spinal anesthesia, but I woke up alert, and just texted friends, chatted with my family, and ate and drank while waiting for the numbness to wear off.
  14. K

    THR Newbie scheduled THR for July

    I went home the same day for both my hip surgeries. The idea scared me at first, but I am really glad I did. I had home health come in the next day, and they visited twice a week for two weeks.
  15. K

    THR Pre-Op Worries

    I was really scared before my first hip surgery, and even slightly anxious before my second one. But the surgeries have been the best thing I have ever done, and it is wonderful to have my life back and to enjoy going for walks with my husband and dog, and exercising again.
Back
Top Bottom