By day, I'm a mild-mannered technical/marketing writer and aspiring novelist but at every possible opportunity, I become a rabid, jumping, spinning, no-holds-barred figure skater. Too many Axels and flying camels (plus the thousands of falls necessary to perfect them) left me in a great amount of left hip pain.
Tired of walking like a primate and having tried every conventional treatment short of voodoo, I recently loped into an ortho's office and was told I'll need a THR. It's scheduled for Feb 7th.
Having been through two tornados, five hurricanes, several car accidents, a flash flood, natural childbirth, two awful marriages, various broken bones and three concussions, I'm not so worried about the pain ahead. I'm most concerned about losing independence for a long time period. You see, one of my grandmothers raised seven children by herself and the other worked a very respectable garden well into her nineties. So, it's in my DNA to avoid picking up the phone for Chinese delivery at the first sign of distress. That's probably a good thing, considering my live-in boyfriend is about as helpful as a ripened cumquat.
I'm looking forward to getting to know you, my fellow hippies, and am wishing the best for all of us. To everyone who's having surgery in February, drink in this sip of courage from Shakespeare's King Henry V:
"Now set the teeth and stretch the nostril wide,
Hold hard the breath and bend up every spirit
To his full height. On, on, you noblest [hippies]..."
Good luck!
HHH
- Birthday
-
Dec 10, 1963
(Age: 62)
- Gender
- Female
- Occupation
- Writer
LTHR Feb 7, posterior approach