Recent content by Going4fun

  1. Going4fun

    THR Time to commit?

    You are say you are going mad with the constant internal dialogue about whether to have the surgery now--I get it! I delayed and agonized on my first surgery. For my second, the first time I felt the pain that reminded me of the arthritis in the other hip--literally within days--I scheduled...
  2. Going4fun

    THR Time to commit?

    I would say push the worry about revision out of your mind. It's highly likely by the time you need a revision, you will be so pleased with how you were able to live and be active with the new second hip. And surgeons will have made huge improvements in revision surgery. Delay if you want, but...
  3. Going4fun

    Bilateral THR Have you had double hip replacement at one time?

    This is a really good discussion to have with specific surgeons. Lots of surgeons won't do simultaneous bilateral surgery.
  4. Going4fun

    THR does a hip replacement sometimes (or always) change the length of that leg?

    Just get to a top-flight surgeon (several if you want or if you are like me) and discuss these issues. These are issues that all top surgeons are quite informed on.
  5. Going4fun

    Recommended Length of Time From 1st. THR to 2nd. THR (Music_Man's June 17 Recovery Thread)?

    You can talk to your surgeon (or multiple surgeons) about this issue. It's an issue they have done tons of thinking about and research on. Surgeons want their patients to recovery well. The concern you have is something hip replacement surgeons have thought long and hard about. And...
  6. Going4fun

    THR Anyone have THR using STAR and Robotic Assist?

    HSS is a great place in my experience. Lots of great hip surgeons and yes they have varying approaches, which is the way it should be. You can ask your surgeon why they use their particular technique and they will tell you.
  7. Going4fun

    Bilateral THR Bilateral hippies and pulmonary embolism risk

    First of all, it is quite honorable for the two surgeons to tell you they had patients die during a bilateral surgery. Shocking and scary to hear that .... ... But ... how many bilateral surgeries are we talking about? One death out of 100 such surgeries? One death out of 1,000 such...
  8. Going4fun

    Meniscus Tear

    Might be good to talk to your general doctor about what you're experiencing.
  9. Going4fun

    THR THR May Need Revision

    I echo @Layla in saying you might want to visit the Hospital for Special Surgery. Dozens of excellent surgeons there. I had my second hip replacement there--and I traveled north from Pennsylvania. Lots of people from around New York state travel to HSS to get excellent care. Funny: My first...
  10. Going4fun

    THR New life expected

    There is no way you'll get stuck on the cane--even without pushing things at all.
  11. Going4fun

    THR Feeling discouraged

    OMG, you're walking 4,500 steps a day with the cane at four weeks. That's wonderful! Your PT who said you "should" be off the cane--I'm just going to be polite and say they were ill-informed. My real language would be more insulting. That's so wildly wrong. My first hip, I think I got off the...
  12. Going4fun

    THR THR 4-months post-op/Slow Healer

    Stop that PT. Your rheumatologist is just wrong--he's stuck in the misguided thinking that PT is THE way people recover from hip surgery. No it's walking and moving. Just walk. No need for any of those other exercises. You get a ton of exercise, and natural exercise and functional exercise...
  13. Going4fun

    THR Realistic return to travel

    You don't want to count on it. Both of my surgeries, which turned out well, hit hard spots around week 7. Both, for very different reasons that are considered a normal part of recovery. He might be ready, but here's the problem. One of the biggest temptations people fall into is doing too...
  14. Going4fun

    TKR Injury vs arthritis

    Sounds like that GP has good judgment. So that's an option: schedule an appointment with the GP and get them involved in deciding what your wife needs, including possibly more time off. The GP also might have tips about what to do if the surgeon's office (with the surgeon on leave) just...
  15. Going4fun

    TKR Injury vs arthritis

    How soon did she return to work? I'm no expert, but I can't imagine that a full knee replacement based on injury has a substantially easier recovery than a full knee replacement based on arthritis. I don't imagine surgeons cut any less or manipulate the body any less or bang in the device with...
Back
Top Bottom