Recent content by glidefloss

  1. G

    TKR I’m cold!

    Hi @sistersinhim, from my own experience and the experience of other TKR'd gym goers I've met in recent months, strength/weight exercises started anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months. Exercises included use of machines like the leg press, leg extension, hamstring curl, abductor/adductor machines...
  2. G

    TKR TKR Progress

    Hi @Odieodell , I think I know that pulling/tearing sensation albeit on the front medial side of my left knee (99 days post-op today) as something similar would occur every now and again ... with no perceivable rhyme nor reason for when it comes up. That said, it doesn't really bother me since...
  3. G

    TKR TKR Progress

    Hi @Odieodell , since Tylenol is not an anti-inflammatory, I doubt that it'll help tamp down swelling. My go to pain killer/anti-inflammatory is Advil (Ibuprofen), which I used a lot of years ago when I used to run marathons and ultras ... so when I had my TKRs, I knew my body'd tolerate it...
  4. G

    TKR TKR Progress

    Hi @Odieodell , have you tried using a stationary bike as a flexion gaining aid? I used it a lot during the early weeks post-RTKR (now 7 months hence) and to a lesser degree with my LTKR (now 12 weeks). The bike at the gym I go to is an upright one (i.e., not a recumbent one) with different...
  5. G

    TKR 1 year TKR update

    Hi @Donkfish, was your quad always weak or did it become weak post-op? Either way, it'd be best if you start doing quad strengthening exercises --- there are tons of different ones available on YouTube. It's hard to see how your right leg will gain in strength without you taking any specific...
  6. G

    Amputation Left Above-Knee Amputation, 22 April 2025

    Hi @WFD, if you haven't already tried it, while elevating you leg, massage your leg from lower leg upwards, carrying on through your thigh towards your torso. Sort of like a lymphatic massage. If unsure of what is involved, search for lymphatic massages for edema on YouTube. With my LTKR, I...
  7. G

    TKR Time

    Hi @Niezy , two weeks between knee replacements sound pretty bizarre. If there is such urgency to get both knees done, bilateral TKRs make a lot more sense - your body'll be subjected to the rigors of anesthesia and surgery just once. I'm surprised that any joint doctor would suggest 2 weeks...
  8. G

    TKR 2young4this Recovery

    Hi @2young4this , I too am one who never got any real relief from icing and on the contrary, felt that icing (for more than a few minutes) not only stiffened the knee but also slowed down the drainage of excess fluids (at least, during the first days post-op.) For my RTKR, I iced a lot - a...
  9. G

    TKR July 8

    Hi @numike , I'm the type who tends to over plan/over think/over research things through - plans A, B, C, D, etc. Against my better judgement (my own assessment), I wasn't as diligent about it prior to my RTKR (Dec 6, 2021) and had a lot of "learning on the job" post-op. That said, my...
  10. G

    TKR GlideFloss TKR Report - from Dec 06 '21 on

    4 Weeks Post-LTKR, 22 Weeks Post-RTKR (May 11, 2022) It’s hard to believe how quickly the extremely slow, painful, achy nights post-LTKR have flown by and, while aches and pains continue to manifest themselves at night, they’re now much more tolerable and quickly moving into the “nuisance”...
  11. G

    TKR May 12 TKR

    Hi @Funnysmart , I totally agree! You need to dream as it will motivate you through all the trials and tribulations of recovery/rehab. I myself have lots of dreams now that I have two new knees, some realistic, some aspirational, a lot achievable. Btw, I started shooting baskets last week...
  12. G

    TKR I’m needing encouragement. Sure glad I found this place.

    Hi @Suzola , when trying any new exercise, please make sure you do a little bit at first, monitor how your body reacts to it (e.g., did swelling, aches/pain result a few hours later or even the next day?) before doing more of the exercise. It is all too easy to find some new activity very...
  13. G

    TKR LTKR 4/29, sooo much swelling

    Hi @MamaLeni , when I had my RTKR 5 months ago, my entire leg swelled up to crazy proportions, almost double that of my left leg. Most of the pain I felt the first few weeks were, I'm sure, from the swelling - things were so painfully tight. Despite icing for several hours a day, swelling...
  14. G

    TKR Right total knee replacement 4/29/2022

    Hi @substrate , looks like you're doing great! Hopefully it'll stay that way ... but it's also a good thing you're aware that there may be bumps! As many here on the forum have noted, recovery is like a roller coaster - ups and downs galore! Pretty amazing that you were so quickly able to...
  15. G

    TKR April 2022 TKR right knee

    Best of luck @JojoFitness ! Pretend the discomfort and stiffness are a byproduct of having run a rugged ultra-marathon or completed an Ironman triathlon or some other multi-hour/day event! The pain/aches/discomfort from my TKRs would bring back memories of some of my more grueling ultra...
Back
Top Bottom