Recent content by climbergirl

  1. climbergirl

    Bilateral THR Two years post-op, getting worse :(

    I was diagnosed with AVN in 2015 and had several surgeries (core decompression and stem cell treamtmesnts) before finally having both hips replaced in February 2017. About 4 months post-op I was not feeling as good as I thought I should be, but it was early. I dialed way back on my exercise...
  2. climbergirl

    Bilateral THR

    Not sure if there are different rules in the UK but I had bilateral done in February and am so glad I did! I know that some surgeons are wary of it but since I'm young (as are you), work full time (they worry you'll go back too early if you have to 'save up' time off for the next one), and have...
  3. climbergirl

    Diagnosed with AVN at 27, still have some questions

    @boneitis That sucks for you. And I don't mean that sarcastically! (insert smiley face emoticon I can't find) I was about 10 years older than you are at the time I was diagnosed but same story. Active person, no real reason for it... If you want you can read my (somewhat too emotional...
  4. climbergirl

    PRP and Stem Cells. Anyone tried ?

    Check out my signataure line... And my age... 'nuff said... :) Seriously though, I'm not sure if what you're referring to is injections or the full blown 'cut out part of your bone and shove in a cocktail of stem cells and growth hormone' surgery that I had. If it's the prior, I might try...
  5. climbergirl

    Replacement age

    That's nonsense. I'm 40 and just had both done at the same time - their recommendation. In fact, if it was up to my surgeon I would have had the replacements done two years ago, but I was the one who wanted to try a less bone-chopping-off approach first. Get a different opinion, one from a...
  6. climbergirl

    Hip Infection Hip replacement now have infection

    @Mason10 you poor thing :( So glad you're on the mend! I had the same thing happen but it was a suture (not dissolvable) that they left in and my skin started to break down all around it, infection ensued... Minor 'procedure' to get it out - blech! Does look like my scar will have a funny...
  7. climbergirl

    Bilateral THR 4 months post-op, R hip still feels 'loose'<

    Thanks for replying Josephine! My pain is pretty under control. When I say I'm in more pain than I'd like to be, I really mean I'd like to have zero pain all the time (that's realistic, right??). These doctors all set the expectation that you'll be running marathons by week 7 (practically)...
  8. climbergirl

    Bilateral THR 4 months post-op, R hip still feels 'loose'<

    @Josephine Here you go... 1. what approach did you have for your surgery? - Anterior on both 2. what are your pain levels right now? - daily 0-2ish. A massage of my psoas or IT band will result in a 6 or 7. 3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg...
  9. climbergirl

    7/5/17 Right THR . . pre-op questions

    @Suttree Good luck today! My answers won't mean too much for some stuff, but for what it's worth... 1. Bed - everything will be uncomfortable at first. Try all your options (various beds, chairs, couches, pillows) as you move through your recovery to find what works best for you. I found...
  10. climbergirl

    Bilateral THR 4 months post-op, R hip still feels 'loose'<

    Thanks @hoppy Mary :) I'm so glad your recovery is going well! I'm doing pretty well now but it definitely was not all fun and games. I definitely had a lot of one step forward, two steps back in the beginning, especially as I started to feel better and experiment with activity level. Just...
  11. climbergirl

    Bilateral THR 4 months post-op, R hip still feels 'loose'<

    AgH, sorry for the delayed response! i wasn't getting the email notifications so didn't think anyone had responded :)... I know it sounds like I"m doing a lot, but I've found my body likes it much better when i do 'some' of everything. I was trying to go slowly, just walking mainly, for all...
  12. climbergirl

    Bilateral THR 4 months post-op, R hip still feels 'loose'<

    So, 4 months out (surgery 2/23/17) and doing fairly well. I'm still in more pain than I'd like but am starting to get back most of my old mobility. I celebrated my 2 month hipaversary with starting back with yoga, my 3 month with a jog (VERY slow, light, and short), and my 4 month hipaversary...
  13. climbergirl

    Core Decompression, THR and what to expect after...

    So, @gingers, are you moving forward with the CD in a few weeks? I have a similar story to yours - unexpected diagnosis of bilateral AVN pretty young (I was 37). I've had two core decompression surgeries on the L, one on the R and an experimental-ish stem cell bone graft on the right. No...
  14. climbergirl

    2017 February Valentines - Are you having hip surgery in February?

    2/23 here for bilateral. Just itching in anticipation at this point!
  15. climbergirl

    Here I go again...

    Hello all! Well, I'm back again. No offense, but I had hoped never to be again... was not to be. My (abbreviated story). After an AVN diagnosis in summer 2014 (due to cancer treatments) I have tried my durndest to avoid this outcome. After PT, meds, and several not-quite-successful other...
Back
Top Bottom