I had my follow up appointment yesterday. The surgeon said I am clear to do anything that I want to do. The left leg still seems a little long, but not as much as immediately after the surgery. The surgeon assured me that my legs are equal length. He thinks these hips might last 40 years, I...
@Bassetmom The surgeon stopped by a few minutes before they wheeled me in for surgery. I cracked a joke about making me taller while he has my leg tore apart. Ooops.
I have had both hips done now. I just had my left one done three weeks ago. After I have my follow up visit and x-rays in about a month, I don't plan on holding back from anything I want to do. I played some soccer with my son before I had the left hip replaced. The new right hip was fine...
I followed the "wait as long as you can" advice. I wasted almost my entire 40s limping around. Make them explain what is gained by waiting. I don't know anything about the UK health system or the complexities of your situation, but hope they find a solution for you.
It's been three weeks now and I don't have much to report. My gait seems almost normal and my walking speed is picking up. I'm doing a couple of half mile walks per day and added a steep hill to the afternoon walk. I don't have any problem walking farther if I have somewhere to go. The...
I had my left hip replaced last week 4/17/2024. My right one was done in February, 2021. When I got home after the surgery last week it felt like my left leg was too long and it still feels that way. I talked to the surgeon's nurse the next day and she said that this is a common feeling and...
Well, that was easier than I expected. I remember the recovery from my right hip being pretty quick, but my left one has been crazy. I used the walker for the first day and a half. I didn't feel like I needed it, but thought I should use it to be safe. After that I switched to the cane until...
I haven't stopped by the forum in a couple of years. I had Right THR in February, 2021, and was in pretty bad mood about needing both hips replaced in my 40s and having to stop my usual activities. Because of this I put my left hip off for too long. Then my surgeon retired, so I just ignored...
@ljpviper I wasn't able to get a telehealth appointment with my surgeon at a time that worked, so I asked my surgeon's PA about dual mobility implants. She said that they only use them for patients who have special complications. An example was a patient that had some fused vertebrate or a...
I had a very interesting conversation with Dr. Pritchett in Seattle yesterday. He is passionate about his work and the study of ways to improve the longevity of hip replacement and resurfacing procedures. His position is that anyone under 60 should consider resurfacing as an option (assuming...
@Going4fun The source of my buyer's remorse is that I went forward with total replacement based on incomplete information due to my surgeon's negative comments about resurfacing. With what I know now, I would have at least scheduled an appointment with Dr. Pritchett before having total...
@Going4fun Keep in mind I was asking an individual to recall a conversation that he had with the surgeon over 5 years ago. I expect that there were some qualifications to that statement that the patient is not now remembering, or his memory is completely wrong. Maybe it was no failures due to...
Continued...
Surgery Coordinator: We have a telehealth opening on 12/23 to discuss your surgery options.
Me: By 12/23 there will be a ceramic ball where my femoral head used to be.
My communications with the surgeon's office are starting to make me laugh...
Me: I would like to find out if there is any reason why I might choose resurfacing over the replacement surgery I have scheduled in less than two weeks.
Them: We need all of your medical records and xrays before we can...
@ljpviper Dr. Pritchett is who these resurfacing patients have all used. After calling some friends, and friends of friends, I now know of 5 or 6 guys who have had resurfacing done by Dr. Pritchett. Pritchett's office is 10 or 15 miles from my surgeon's office. When I met with my surgeon...
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.