Recent content by Born2teach

  1. Born2teach

    Revision TKR Metal Allergy or Infection or Something Else

    @jboles, What what an interesting story with both you and your cousin going through surgery on the same day with the same surgeon. You are right, it will make a great case study. It sounds like your doctor really knows his allergy and his implants well. I have read that Smith & Nephew does do...
  2. Born2teach

    Revision TKR Metal Allergy or Infection or Something Else

    @Polkadot, Wow, it sounds like you have a wonderfully informed and caring doctor!!! I wish there was an easier solution to my metal allergy situation. Since, I am allergic to zirconium, which is the material in the Smith & Nephew oxinium device I have now, I feel like there are no options that...
  3. Born2teach

    Revision TKR Metal Allergy or Infection or Something Else

    Hi @Polkadot, Wow, I am so surprised to hear that you received a ceramic knee! I have spoken with 4 different orthopedic surgeons (different practices and in different parts of the country) and all 4 have told me that there is not a ceramic knee available in the US. Can you tell me who...
  4. Born2teach

    Revision TKR Metal Allergy or Infection or Something Else

    Yes, of course. A first time knee replacement does not have "rods". However, a revision needs to be secured into the bone with what my surgeon has called "rods". This is most likely a layman's terms. In device those "rods" are made if titanium.
  5. Born2teach

    Revision TKR Metal Allergy or Infection or Something Else

    Hi @becticu, I am sorry to hear that this most recent knee is giving you trouble. Continue to take it at a pace that feels comfortable. I hope you are getting the range of motion you are striving for and getting around better, too. I saw our orthopedic surgeon last week, and he says to...
  6. Born2teach

    Revision TKR Metal Allergy or Infection or Something Else

    Hi @jboles, The level of reaction I had to zirconium was listed as "reactive" to the Orthopedic Analysis testing I had done. My understanding is that the femoral head is the only component that contains the zirconium in my revision replacement. It does however contain rods that are titanium...
  7. Born2teach

    Revision TKR Metal Allergy or Infection or Something Else

    Here is the newest on my knee. I've seen or talked to to at least 3 other orthopedic surgeons and no one seems really know what is going on with my knee. The majority of doctors believe that I am allergic to this knee, too. In which case there are no FDA approved knees for me in the US that are...
  8. Born2teach

    Revision TKR Metal Allergy or Infection or Something Else

    Thank you for the input Josephine. I appreciate your wisdom and knowledge in this department. I am curious to see if the antibiotic helps. Since, all the aspirations and even specimens taken during surgery have come back negative, I can't imagine what else it could be at this stage of the game...
  9. Born2teach

    Revision TKR Metal Allergy or Infection or Something Else

    Hi @borymms4, Thanks for the suggestion of the Gold Knee. When I read about the metal content, it seems that the top coat is ZrN which I think is zirconium. That is one of the metals I am allergic to and is also what my current knee replacement is. You mentioned you thought is was gold coated...
  10. Born2teach

    Revision TKR Metal Allergy or Infection or Something Else

    Today I saw the rheumatologist to get the results of the blood panel. She indicated that the blood work showed no indication of lupus, arthritis or other auto-immune condition. I did have a slightly elevated C-Reactive Protein and White Blood Count. She initially suggested we double my steroid...
  11. Born2teach

    Revision TKR Metal Allergy or Infection or Something Else

    Thanks for the resources.:flwrysmile: I look forward to reading more about metal allergies and the Gold Knee. I got a call from Mayo Clinic and the doctor there doesn't see anything out of the ordinary for a revision, so she will only see me for 30 minutes if I want to make an appointment in 2-3...
  12. Born2teach

    Revision TKR Metal Allergy or Infection or Something Else

    He Celle, I am sorry to hear that Josephine is out for awhile. I wish her well in her recovery. When she is feeling up to and has time, it would be great to have her opinion on the devices that might be available to me here in the USA. I hope to not to need a third one, but I would like to be...
  13. Born2teach

    Revision TKR Metal Allergy or Infection or Something Else

    I recently saw my orthopedic surgeon and we had a productive visit. Once he saw the results of my MARS MRI, he paid attention to my symptoms and asked appropriate questions. I felt like he was finally hearing my concerns. He boiled it down to three possibilities: 1. Infection - He has aspirated...
  14. Born2teach

    Revision TKR Metal Allergy or Infection or Something Else

    You all have been supportive and encouraging at a time when I truly need it. Thank you for all your positive comments. I don't feel like I am alone in this medical island. Thank you. School is almost out for the summer, and I hope that I get in to see a specialist soon. All of my records have...
  15. Born2teach

    Revision TKR Metal Allergy or Infection or Something Else

    Thank you so much for the comments and words of wisdom. I am very troubled about my possible prognosis. My family doctor is sending me to Dr. Ginger Holt at Vanderbilt in Nashville. On my own I have contacted Mayo Clinic in FL and have been assigned to Dr. Courtney Sherman. Each has asked to...
Back
Top Bottom