Recent content by BarbyDoll

  1. BarbyDoll

    THR I made it to the post op side (Barby Doll)

    It's been 2 years since my left hip replacement (5 years since my right hip replacement) and things are going very well! I received a notice in my email today from a posting on this site, so thought I would check in and give a brief update to encourage those of you facing surgery or recovering...
  2. BarbyDoll

    THR I made it to the post op side (Barby Doll)

    It's been 12 weeks since my left hip replacement. Overall recovery is going well. Steps are easier than they were a month ago. And I have been able to increase my walking outside to twice a day (mornings and evenings for about 30 minutes each). I have also started walking without my hiking poles...
  3. BarbyDoll

    THR I made it to the post op side (Barby Doll)

    Hard to believe it has been 2 months since my surgery. @Layla yes we enjoyed our time with our daughter. Our bedroom was upstairs, so I tried to plan ahead so I didn't need to go up and down too many times during the day. Now we are in Minnesota, and this weekend has been cold! Hoping the...
  4. BarbyDoll

    THR I made it to the post op side (Barby Doll)

    I met with my surgeon on Monday (about 5 weeks after surgery and he basically released me from his care since I will be flying next week to see our daughter and her husband for a few days, then on to Minnesota for the summer. He was pleased with my progress and answered all of my questions. He...
  5. BarbyDoll

    THR I made it to the post op side (Barby Doll)

    Thanks for the one month anniversary wishes. The first couple of weeks dragged on, but as I started to get better, the time is going by more quickly. I am walking around the house without the cane and it is going well. I still use the cane when I get up at night to use the bathroom. I went...
  6. BarbyDoll

    THR I made it to the post op side (Barby Doll)

    So today I decided my walking is going well so I am doing some of my walking around the house with no cane. I find I use it more for balance than for support of the hip. Part of that is because I have peripheral neuropathy (numbness) in my feet (unrelated to the hip surgery), so I am being extra...
  7. BarbyDoll

    THR I made it to the post op side (Barby Doll)

    Thought I would get on the website today and give an update. Recovery continues to go pretty well. I had home PT twice a week for 3 weeks and was "discharged" last Thursday. She felt I was doing well, but said to call her if I had any questions. I think I overdid it a bit one day last week. I...
  8. BarbyDoll

    THR 3 weeks post-hip surgery

    Glad to hear your recovery is going well. I had left hip surgery on April 21st and will see my surgeon next Monday for another checkup. So far recovery is going better than my first right hip surgery 3 years ago. I am thinking I am getting close to getting rid of the cane. I only take ibuprofen...
  9. BarbyDoll

    THR So far, so good, knock wood

    I had my surgery on April 21st and I feel the same. I'm not as tired as before, but I am getting bored. I like sitting at the table doing computer stuff (like reading the Bonesmart website) but then my leg starts to swell. I was talking to my aunt and uncle on the phone this afternoon and just...
  10. BarbyDoll

    THR Sheltie's Recovery Thread

    Welcome to the recovery side! I too am a double hippie (right hip July 2018, left hip April 2021). Everyone's recovery is different, but I hope yours goes smoothly. The first 5 days were kind of rough for me, but it has been much better over the last 2 weeks. Don't be afraid to ask your family...
  11. BarbyDoll

    THR Now POST-op

    Welcome to the recovery side! Sleeping can be a challenge. I have never been a back sleeper, so I was relieved when after my first hip surgery when my in home PT said I could roll over onto my side if I had a pillow between my legs. I needed to be careful to keep my legs together and not roll...
  12. BarbyDoll

    THR Walking hurts my butt!

    That sounds like a lot of walking. I'm guessing you were a walker before surgery and trying to get back into your normal routine. The pain is probably an indicator that you are doing more than your new hip is comfortable with. Maybe try and take a shorter walk. Or a shorter walk a couple of...
  13. BarbyDoll

    THR I made it to the post op side (Barby Doll)

    It has been a really good week so far. I am feeling good and the pain is getting better. Last Thursday at my PT visit, the therapist said I could start using a cane around the house. I still use a walker when I get up at night to go to the bathroom, but use a cane during the day. I am also...
  14. BarbyDoll

    THR I made it to the post op side (Barby Doll)

    Oh dear. I am drinking a diet Dr. Pepper every afternoon. Maybe I need to give that up (which will be hard to do since I love diet Dr. Pepper and couldn't get it when we lived overseas). But it is worth a try. I am trying to cut back on the sodium from foods. The swelling is getting better- but...
  15. BarbyDoll

    THR I made it to the post op side (Barby Doll)

    Thanks. I had to keep telling myself that I wasn't overreacting. It sounds so lame to say you went to the ER because of constipation. But after talking with the ER doc I felt like I had made the right decision. I'm much better now and drinking lots of water!
Back
Top Bottom