Recent content by Alexrd

  1. Alexrd

    Possible Heterotropic ossification?

    I’m nearly 2 years post op RTHR and for the last few months I’ve been deteriorating, walking has become slow and painful and I’m back to using a cane for support when out of the house and to try to stop me limping. I’ve been told I have a 5 mm leg length discrepancy since my left hip replacement...
  2. Alexrd

    THR Alexrd in recovery

    Thanks for the suggestions of some alternative gentle stretches, much appreciated. I’m finding things are easing off a little bit, but the last thing I want is to aggravate things further. I’m doing very gentle stretches on alternate days and just pottering round the house. I haven’t left the...
  3. Alexrd

    THR Alexrd in recovery

    If anyone can suggest similar stretches to try, or a way to modify the kneeling one above, I’m open to any suggestions, thank you!
  4. Alexrd

    THR Alexrd in recovery

    My physio recommended another stretch too, I just can’t do it, as it’s just too painful for my knee, even with a thin pillow to cushion it.
  5. Alexrd

    THR Alexrd in recovery

    It’s based on the Thomas test.
  6. Alexrd

    THR Alexrd in recovery

    Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated. My physio cancelled this week due to sickness, and I can’t get a slot until the 23rd, so plenty of downtime before my next session. I’m doing the very specific gentle stretch every other day, as it just seems to aggravate my symptoms at the moment...
  7. Alexrd

    THR Alexrd in recovery

    Quick update I had my second physio session yesterday and we tried some slightly more intensive hip flexor stretching, with passive resistance, if that’s the correct terminology? It wasn’t painful, but it certainly wasn’t comfortable and was quite exhausting. I’ve definitely been quite sore...
  8. Alexrd

    THR Alexrd in recovery

    Infection is a worry, so it’s always going to be at the back of my mind if I develop a temperature in the future, but my blood results suggested there was no evidence of infection, which did put my mind at ease, Magsmom. My bigger issue remains dealing with the angry hip flexor muscles in my...
  9. Alexrd

    THR Alexrd in recovery

    Thanks for your helpful comments and advice, my new physio did show me the gentle stretch you’ve described, based around the Thomas test, I think? I’m using a heat pad for my lower back pain, and that provides some relief. I’ve also started icing the angry muscle on the middle of my thigh and on...
  10. Alexrd

    THR Alexrd in recovery

    Thanks for your good wishes, and helpful reminder about the leg length discrepancy issue. I’m far from convinced by my first surgeon’s attempt at buck passing to blame the second surgeon who did my left hip. He’s provided no evidence for his assertion about the discrepancy of 1 cm, and is (like...
  11. Alexrd

    THR Alexrd in recovery

    Update I’m hoping I may be beginning to get an idea of what my current problems are, and, hopefully, some possible solutions. Just got back from seeing my first consultant surgeon who did my right hip replacement surgery. He immediately identified two probable explanations for my declining...
  12. Alexrd

    THR Alexrd in recovery

    Sorry, long delayed reply. Things appeared to be going well, eventually, with the scar. Weekly checks by my consultant to check for potential infection. Think my body/tissue hates staples rather than glue (1st hip RTHR). Eventually discharged by consultant who thought there’s no infection- good...
  13. Alexrd

    THR Alexrd in recovery

    Back from hospital: Well, my incision has been thoroughly inspected and prodded about by 2 nurses and the on duty surgical doctor. To my great relief they couldn’t detect anything nasty lurking beneath the very tender and hard tissue at the top of the incision. The thinking is it must just be...
  14. Alexrd

    THR Alexrd in recovery

    Further update. I saw my consultant earlier this week for my 6 week follow up appointment. Generally pleased with how things are progressing, as I’m mostly off the cane now and walking pretty correctly if a bit slow still. Can sometimes manage the stairs normally going down and occasionally...
  15. Alexrd

    THR Alexrd in recovery

    Quick update: Wound check at 16 days po went as well as can be expected: 13 staples/clips removed (minimal pain), wound healing nicely, significantly less bruising, swelling and obvious post op trauma to my left cheek than with my right side replacement back in November. Much more comfortable...
Back
Top Bottom