Recent content by aa1pd

  1. aa1pd

    anyone managing knee pain/problems too?

    The ITB band overlays the Vastus Lateralis (one of the quads) which may also be sore and full of trigger points. Gentle massage of ITB and Vastus can really help. I found my rectus femoris (one of the other quad muscles) was also sore and referring pain to my knee so its worth attending to that...
  2. aa1pd

    Lets Discuss "appropriate activity modification."

    I just tested the link and it opened for me using windows 7 and google chrome. I am going to go back to my vinyasa yoga class at the end of march. That will be 4 months post surgery for me. I got the ok for 3 months for class fr0m my OS but I like to be conservative. your welcome
  3. aa1pd

    Lets Discuss "appropriate activity modification."

    I also practice yoga and find these 2 articles to be the best ones on yoga after hip replacement. https://www.expandinglight.org/free/yoga-teacher/articles/yoga-therapy/yoga-after-a-hip-replacement.php https://www.yogajournal.com/practice/596
  4. aa1pd

    Lets Discuss "appropriate activity modification."

    for the data hungry here is the full document from the NYU hospital for joint diseases on which the above recomendations seem to be based. Consensus guidelines based on a survey of the Hip Society and American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons. broken link removed...
  5. aa1pd

    Lets Discuss "appropriate activity modification."

    More on this topic.... Sports Recommended By The Hip Society RECOMMENDED / ALLOWED SPORTS stationary bicycling croquet ballroom dancing golf horseshoes shooting swimming doubles tennis walking low-impact aerobics(*) road cycling(*) bowling(*) canoeing(*) hiking(*) horseback riding(*)...
  6. aa1pd

    Lets Discuss "appropriate activity modification."

    and this article broken link removed: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12015805&dopt=Abstract “Exercise recommendations after total joint replacement: a review of the current literature and proposal of scientifically based guidelines” “ Patients...
  7. aa1pd

    Lets Discuss "appropriate activity modification."

    Been perusing he internet. Here is the thoughts of one ortho group's website that does the minimal invasive hip THR. What types of activities can I resume after total hip replacement surgery? Most patients resume normal, active lifestyles after total hip replacement. In fact, activity levels...
  8. aa1pd

    Lets Discuss "appropriate activity modification."

    I am at the point where I am adding in activities. Pain is no longer an issue and I am finding myself thinking instead about avoiding excess wear and tear while still enjoying stuff. Just wanting to avoid activities that cause unusual wear on a THR. So thought a discussion of what we are all...
  9. aa1pd

    THR Hot Tub??

    My OS prefers no squatting till 4 weeks. Its the only restriction he gave me. been doing squatting since then no prob. Your OS is the guy/gal to talk to as each seems to have differing restrictions and its their call (of course upon viewing the instant replay they may reconsider the call! :rofsign:)
  10. aa1pd

    Diane Rehm on NPR today did Hip Replacement Safety as topic

    They discussed the MoM issue and the Johnson and Johnson lawsuit. Another topic was discussing the surgeons role in building realistic patient expectations.
  11. aa1pd

    Diane Rehm on NPR today did Hip Replacement Safety as topic

    I often listen to National Public Radio (NPR) and to the Diane Rehm show. I really enjoyed today's program on hip replacements a lot. The panel spent much of the time on metal on metal issues and building the correct expectations in pre-op patients. One of the panelists was Diana Zuckerman...
  12. aa1pd

    struggling with small muscles

    My massage therapist concentrates on trigger points in the above mentioned muscles and on the sore places at the ends of the muscle attachments. I am not a massage therapist so i am not quite sure what she is doing but it sure helps me get around and do my PT excercises. It seems to take...
  13. aa1pd

    struggling with small muscles

    Mark, I am about on the same schedule as you for my right hip 11/26/12. Many of the same small muscle issues here. My left hip which was done march 20th 2012 is now feeling really good. My right will be at 12 weeks on this coming monday and I have a sore pirifomis, sore gluteus minimus and sore...
  14. aa1pd

    THR Bionic Woman has a shiny new hip!!

    I found supporting the operated leg with my hands helped me clear the doorframe. Take some extra pain meds before you leave if the roads are bumpy in your area. I had no problem getting in and out with both of my THR but the bumpy roads we have in maine were not fun for the ride home on my...
  15. aa1pd

    THR Pain after 5 years

    Darned metric system LOL :gaah:
Back
Top Bottom