TKR The TKR Recovery Journey of a Fitness Instructor

Congratulations on all your achievements!! Seeing as you mentioned the making smoothies.

Little things like not feeling wiped out after a shower or making a smoothie.

Food for thought....I have been eating smoothies every day for about 15 years and swear by the benefits. I use most of these ingredients in my daily smoothie.
  • Kale – insanely low in calories, powerful anti-oxidant with anti-inflammatory properties, and helpful for arthritis and autoimmune diseases
  • Spinach – the beauty of spinach lies in how easy it is to disguise the taste. It’s mild tasting yet packed with vitamins, has anti-cancerous properties, and is one of the healthiest foods on the planet
  • Blueberries – have one of the highest antioxidant capacities of all fruits which helps to combat free radicals in your body
  • Strawberries – just one serving provides more vitamin C than an orange while being low in natural sugars
  • Greek Yogurt – double the protein and half the carbs as regular yogurt
  • Cucumber – since it’s 95% water, it’s an incredible detoxifier and helps with liver and kidney function
  • Lemon – is one of the most important items to stock in your kitchen as it’s a highly effective cleansing agent and cuts through the bitterness of greens
  • Banana – an essential in smoothies as it adds creaminess, a touch of sweetness, and helps you feel full longer plus, it’s rich in potassium and fiber and gives you natural energy
  • Turmeric – anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties
  • Ginger – aids in digestion and supports the immune system
  • Chia + Flaxseeds – rich is Omega-3 and fiber benefits
Its a great idea to consult with a medical professional to be sure that you do not have any contraindications with any prescription medications you may be on.

I'm not sure about everyone else but I believe that the Vitamix is the best kitchen appliance to ever be invented!:happydance:

Great informative post above, @Axx72
Another vote for the Vitamix. Wasn’t cheap but I expect to have it for life. That monster can grind through anything! :heehee:

@MargFit Like you, I had that vision at 4 weeks of "normalcy" with my new knee. I knew it was a ways down the road yet, but started to feel it could happen. Thanks for sharing.

@sistersinhim here is the list of my prior surgeries:
Right knee 3 arthroscopic surgeries: Arthroscopy 2005, Lateral release (2007) and 1 menisectomy (Sept 2021)
Left knee arthroscopy (2008)
Left Hip FAI and Labrum Repair May 2012

@MargFit Like you, I had that vision at 4 weeks of "normalcy" with my new knee. I knew it was a ways down the road yet, but started to feel it could happen. Thanks for sharing.
I have been following your journey since our surgeries are just 2 days apart and saw that you had the similar feeling at 4 weeks. Still so far from normal yet normal suddenly seems possible yay!

Congratulations on all your achievements!! Seeing as you mentioned the making smoothies.

Little things like not feeling wiped out after a shower or making a smoothie.

Food for thought....I have been eating smoothies every day for about 15 years and swear by the benefits. I use most of these ingredients in my daily smoothie.
  • Kale – insanely low in calories, powerful anti-oxidant with anti-inflammatory properties, and helpful for arthritis and autoimmune diseases
  • Spinach – the beauty of spinach lies in how easy it is to disguise the taste. It’s mild tasting yet packed with vitamins, has anti-cancerous properties, and is one of the healthiest foods on the planet
  • Blueberries – have one of the highest antioxidant capacities of all fruits which helps to combat free radicals in your body
  • Strawberries – just one serving provides more vitamin C than an orange while being low in natural sugars
  • Greek Yogurt – double the protein and half the carbs as regular yogurt
  • Cucumber – since it’s 95% water, it’s an incredible detoxifier and helps with liver and kidney function
  • Lemon – is one of the most important items to stock in your kitchen as it’s a highly effective cleansing agent and cuts through the bitterness of greens
  • Banana – an essential in smoothies as it adds creaminess, a touch of sweetness, and helps you feel full longer plus, it’s rich in potassium and fiber and gives you natural energy
  • Turmeric – anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties
  • Ginger – aids in digestion and supports the immune system
  • Chia + Flaxseeds – rich is Omega-3 and fiber benefits
Its a great idea to consult with a medical professional to be sure that you do not have any contraindications with any prescription medications you may be on.

I'm not sure about everyone else but I believe that the Vitamix is the best kitchen appliance to ever be invented!:happydance:
Yes big smoothie fan here and especially for healing and recovery! I had taken a break from them for awhile but immediately began them post op. I feel like it’s a big bang for your buck on getting so many superfoods all at once. There are days right now, even here in sunny So Cal, that I have to talk myself into having a cold drink but it’s worth it to get those nutrients to my new knee are. Also, Yes Vitamix for the win.

Happy One Month Anniversary!
A smoothie and So Cal sound lovely right now as I type from the frigid upper midwest.
I hope you're doing well as you hit one month post op.
Please stay in touch so we're able to follow your progress and cheer you on along the way!
Hope your week is a peaceful one. :ok:
@MargFit

5 weeks post op, time is suddenly speeding up compared to the first 3 weeks.

Some changes are subtle, some are bigger. Some things haven’t improved much yet. My chief complaint at this point is lack of sleep. Nights are the worst! I fall asleep a bit later than I would in my “normal” life then wake up after about 2 hours and am up for a good 2+ hours before falling back to sleep. From what I read, this seems to be quite common. Since I’m not working for awhile I can get away with it, but at some point I’ll need to be highly functioning in the mornings, so I’m hoping to get better sleep sooner rather than later.

Subtle changes in the last week are: activities for daily living are much less exhausting. There have been a few times where without thinking I went up the stairs normally and nothing bad came of it. Being cautious on that though! Overall around the house, I just have to monitor how long I’ve been standing and not do “just one more thing“ and stop before I feel pain or exhaustion.

Big changes: I am driving short distances and have gotten to be around more people than just my immediate family. Also I have begun physical therapy. I am fortunate to live less than a mile from the Ymca where I work. So that was a perfect place to begin testing driving and also just going to say hello to the folks who take my classes. What a mood boost! I realize now I was beginning to feel very isolated. Also, I took a chair yoga class which was perfect for where I’m at right now. Between the gentle exercises at PT, a little recumbent cycle and chair yoga at the Y, this increase in physical and social activity has been just right. None of this has been on back to back days. I think having buffer days of resting and not leaving the house in between has helped me not to get overwhelmed.

My plan going into week 6 is to do just about the same as this past week, no need to ramp up much more than that. The only daring thing I’m considering is having my son drive me to Trader Joes. It’s getting old trying to think what I want from the store, I want to see for myself what’s there. So I’m thinking if I don’t do the driving, I have a cart to lean on and Trader Joe’s are smaller stores, this could be a good first errand. Wish me luck hahaha!

I think having buffer days of resting and not leaving the house in between has helped me not to get overwhelmed.
This is a good thing to do. This rest day is great for recuperating after your busy days.
I have a cart to lean on and Trader Joe’s are smaller stores, this could be a good first errand.
Good luck! Do they have a scooter just in case you find it's too much? I had to use one in Walmart. Of course, that is a big store.

You have my vote of confidence that you'll make it through a Trader Joe's run.
Buy yourself a treat while there. :wink: You earned it.
Have a nice weekend, you're doing great!
@MargFit

You're achieving some great early milestones :SUNsmile:

Insomnia is a real bummer for many of us in the initial weeks after knee surgery. Definitely sleep whenever (and wherever it's safe and comfy!)

Icing, elevating, napping.... All help, but for some of us it was endangering our mental health. Before it gets there consider some nonprescription remedies....

If you're lactose tolerant, a glass of warm milk! If you're not diabetic, a teeny bit of honey makes it even more comforting... plus milk is high in magnesium! Helps us relax!

If you aren't a milk drinker, or want an easier way to, an evening magnesium supplement has been very helpful for some members.

OTC diphenhydramine, an antihistamine also used as a sleep aid (Benadryl) because it makes you drowsy; it's also included in some cold, flu, etc "nighttime" combination meds.

Low dose melatonin, sustained release - not for long term use but I have used for a week at a time without ill effect. It should be taken an hour to hour and a half before going to bed, and during that time stay in a dimly lit area to allow this hormone to activate.

Valerian root - an herbal remedy, it can be taken in capsule form but that dose might be high compared to my preference, herbal "sleep" blends that include a smaller dose of valerian and make me pleasantly drowsy. Plus the other tea flavorings make it nice tasting! Celestial Seasonings and Traditional Medicinals sell teabags by the box. Their sleep blends without valerian have never ever made me sleepy.

Personally, nothing helped me until I followed a sleep tea with valerian with a low dose sustained release melatonin. Instead of two hours I slept 5 or 6. It was heavenly.

7 weeks post op, time keeps speeding up with each passing day compared to the first month.

I didn‘t make a formal 6 week update post but between week 6 and week 7 I’ve seen a huge energy shift which is allowing me to keep busier (in a good way!)

This week, I was able to increase time on stationary bike to 25 minutes and follow it with a bit of treadmill walking. I live in a hilly area so holding off on outdoor walks just yet. Next I was able to begin some functional strength training exercises to work on overall strength and conditioning. I’m using very light weights or body weight, and specifically curating knee friendly moves. The clock is ticking now on my return to work: 5 weeks left. So the balance is allowing plenty of rest and healing time, with just the right amount of fitness work to be ready to teach classes again.

Sleep is better-ish. I think getting up and out, seeing people at the gym, moving, longer stretches of light housework is helping me stick to just 1 nap in the early afternoon. So at night I can go to sleep closer to my normal time. However, sleeping through is still elusive. But it seems like the hours of lonely wakefulness have passed.

Pain wise I still have some but it really varies on where it is coming from. Ice, TENS, Red Light device and elevation are my friends and I keep on a pretty vigorous routine with alternating these moments throughout the day. Tylenol as needed, working on skipping Celebrex when possible as my gut is protesting long term NSAID use.

Continuing PT 2x a week through Feb 14, at which point we will see if there are goals they can help me with. This next week goals are to attend a couple of mainstream fitness classes to get me back in the crowded, loud environments and to get a feel of how I’ll modify exercises. It sounds funny but just as much as my strength and endurance need to take steps to regain normal functionin, so do my senses. Having been in healing homebody mode, baby steps to reintegrate into full on group fitness mode needs to be dosed out in small bits.

A great update.

Yes - after my first TKA it was about 6 weeks before I felt ready to, with cane and MDH, walk through our local Farmer's Market. It was scary! People! Dogs! Toddlers! Movement and noise!
It made me realize that I was walking very much with the front of my brain, as if the integrated movement and proprioception we learn as babies had been lost.
After that I started taking short solo outdoor walks with my cane, making myself use good posture and trust my peripheral vision and soles of my feet to keep me balanced. It worked!
With my second one I was much more self confident and was able to reintegrate into community walking earlier.

You're making wonderful progress! With five weeks until your return to work, I'm betting you make great strides.
Good luck getting your feet wet in your regular fitness classes. Hopefully the transition is smooth and easy.
Take good care and stay in touch!
@MargFit

Calf pain! It’s worse than my new knee pain!

Calf pain began around 2 weeks ago at the 6 week post op mark when I began doing more, along with taking stairs “normally“ foot over foot. PT has rolled it out, I’ve been stretching, icing, TENS, all the same things I’m doing for my knee. I even had a deep tissue massage a few days ago in hopes that would help, but no improvement. Finally messaged OS office and they sent me in right away today for an ultrasound to rule out DVT. Happy to say I’m all clear, no clots. So now it’s how to cope with this pain, and wonder how long until I can get on the other side of it.

If anyone reads this and has any anecdotal experience with calf pain post TKR to share, I’d love to hear.

I won't hazard a guess as to the specific cause, but will note that some body parts when aggravated respond to manipulation, stretch, and massage by getting more aggravated.

In my own experience, and observing others, this has happened when the cause is structural (posture, weight bearing, etc) so.... a few thoughts are:
try rest and heat...
ask PT to watch your feet, hips, and kneecaps as you walk both towards and away a few times to see if anything is skewed...
if calf and Achilles tendon stretches seem to aggravate it, back off and ask your OS and PT if temporary use of a tiny heel lift might actually relieve the strain (I totally wouldn't try this until PT watches you walk and you discuss with your OS and PT).

Well that's certainly miserable, MargFit. I am sorry you are dealing with the nagging calf pain.
I wish you comfort and hope it eases soon. Thankfully there's no DVT.

You can try using the SEARCH at the top right of the page, typing in calf pain, to see if you find anything of interest. Please stay in touch and let us know how you're doing.
@MargFit

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope your calf pain is gone, or at least easing, Margfit :fingersx: Hopefully you found something to bring you comfort.
Take good care and stay in touch.
@MargFit

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Riveralex
Recent bookmarks