Wondering If I'm Ready

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't go back for awhile because I was told I was to young.
We have members in their 20's having knee replacements. At 62 you are more than old enough to have a joint replacement, find another doctor who will listen to you and make the appropriate referral. Be sure to take the score chart with you so they can see just how limited your life has become.
Ask the orthopedist office to write a letter to your primary explaining why you need a TKR.
Good luck,

@SassyGirl I've had the same thoughts. I can manage quite well and even walk without a limp most of the time. However like others I've noticed that there are things I use to do that I now avoid. It's a challenge to make myself vacuum and do some other household jobs. No more long walks. When I exercise I feel this strange feeling in my knee like stuff is all bumpy and rough. Then all of a sudden I got extreme pain and couldn't walk on it. Josephine explained what I think happened.

[QUOTE="Josephine, post: 903230, member: 562"]Generally this stays in the pouches at the side of the joint but every so often, a bit gets into the weight bearing part of the joint and then we get that extreme pain and can't bear weight on the leg at all![/QUOTE]

Of course, the X-ray showed "bone on bone." Now I am convinced that I might as well get it done before it gets worse. The OS assured me that incidents like I experienced would probably happen again . . . and again.

Oh, yes, I don't want to insult anyone but the OS said that the skinny ones often don't feel pain like heavier people. I really laughed because never in my life have I been called skinny. I am overweight but not obese. As someone said, we are all different and our knees are all different. Good luck!

Thanks for all the feed back. It's such a big decision.

Right now the knee feels pretty stable, but to be on the safe side when I go up and down stairs it's one at a time with both hands on the rails. I can't go shopping in big stores like Sam's unless I use one of the motorized carts. If I don't I pay for it later.

What bothers me the most is two years ago I was walking 3 to 5 miles every morning. Then all of a sudden my left knee started hurting went to Dr and he said I had arthritis. Right knee looked OK. Then 6 months later it seemed like my right knee just collapsed there was no gap between the bones. My Gp looked at x-ray and asked me if I would consider TKR because my knee was ugly. It just seems like it's so sudden.

It does stop me from doing some things I want to do.

Hi Sassy,

Our stories are similar, once one knee started going, they both deteriorated rapidly. I have had 7 prior knee surgeries last one about 25 years ago in the Army. My pain started increasing and Mobic no longer worked at all. GP put me on 5/325 Percocet which allowed me to do most day to day things (work at home, driving not an issue).

About 8 months ago I noticied a significant decline almost overnight...finally after fighting with insurance I had both TKR's done a week ago today. It has been rough, with a few, short episodes of OMG pain due to an aggressive PT already. For the most part, it has not been that bad.

Now that you know how serious your OA is, it might be time to find an OS and begin planning. Awareness has a way of magnifying pain...it did for me.

Oh, yes, I don't want to insult anyone but the OS said that the skinny ones often don't feel pain like heavier people.
I wonder where he got that from? I don't think it's true.

I better clarify my "heavy people and pain statement." What he said was that pain usually brought the heavier people to TKR while the slender ones it was more often due to joint deterioration. He really is a sharp guy and I trust him. I would guess that added weight would make it more difficult to walk with a bad knee. I am trying to lose weight but being rather unsuccessful. Stress and weight loss don't go together. :sneaker:

Funny how different they all are...I'm not a skinny girl but I'm in pretty good shape....my Doc told me pain control is tough on me because.....wait for it.....I'm a redhead :loll:

Go figure

I recently read that redheads are way different biologically from the rest of us. I have a redheaded sister-in-law and I bet she would agree. Your doctor is right on track with the newest information. Not that that information is encouraging! I would say the redheaded determination beats out everything else. Good luck.:capn:

My weight has ballooned up in the past year. Lack of movement is one problem, the other is my sweet tooth when I'm stressed I eat and lately that's been anything sweet. I've been trying to replace it with fruit but an apple doesn't taste as well as apple pie LOL.

I did call and have an appointment with my GP to start the process (if the GP agrees had to find a new GP as first one moved out of town). It's funny since I made the appointment it seems like my knees are hurting more. I expected it to go the other way. Like when you take your car into the mechanic and it quits making the strange noise. Anyway the pain does go away when I sit for a while. Have any of you tried using ice to help with the pain decrease faster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015