TKR TRKR 10/13/23 - Moving Forward with Many Detours

No worries about your questions…..that’s what we’re here for.
Thank you. Happy Monday! The verdict is pain on the inside of my op knee, the area between the knee and where my leg bends. I noticed a tiny bruise there. Hmm. I'm encouraged it will resolve with rest and icing as did the patella pain.

Good Wednesday morning. Missed yesterday, which is the same today - no knee pain or stiffness upon awakening. The leg slides came easily yesterday and today, yet the minute I stood up both days the op knee began to get stiff. The second surgeon told me I have tight quads in the op leg and to do PT; my surgeon said no as that will cause more inflammation. I am happy the patella pain is gone; the bruise I mentioned may have been from the umbrella - it's very large - poking me when I tried to close it after going out in Sunday's rain. My knee extends to zero, and flex is the same as the non op knee. I'm confused about the swelling, which began Friday. I do leg lifts - bend my non op knee, then lift my op leg to knee height and lower it. Are there other exercises I can do to strengthen my quad? I had no idea it was tight as I can bend the op knee easily. Thank you.

The best way to strengthen your quads is to use your knee as you need to without aggravating it. Repetitive exercises tends to increase inflammation, which causes pain and swelling. The more you use your knee naturally, the stronger it will get. It sounds like your ROM is great!

The best way to strengthen your quads is to use your knee as you need to without aggravating it. Repetitive exercises tends to increase inflammation, which causes pain and swelling. The more you use your knee naturally, the stronger it will get. It sounds like your ROM is great!
Thank you. You said what my surgeon told me, and I didn't believe him. Five and one-half months post op and continuing to be surprised.

It's past 6 p.m. in New York, and I was doing leg slides to see if I have pain because the top of my incision - near my quads - is stiff. Tylenol was six hours ago - haven't taken my third dose - so I wondered what's going on with the knee. No pain, slides were easy yet the knee is noisy. I wonder if scar tissue is moving around as it feels lumpy underneath. There's no stiffness when I sit down, yet when I stand up the quad gets tight. Don't know what's causing that. The left knee, well, that's another story. Today I dropped an earring on the carpet and got on both knees to look for it. I stood up with my op knee, foot on floor, to lift my "scootered" leg to standing. I nearly fell over again. Something's funny with my leg muscles. The building management once asked me if I wanted to press charges, and I said no. What is the point? I avoid him. Going to get walking shoes so I can resume that exercise.

Consider ice and rest and avoid movement in an effort to test for pain. Possibly if you avoid focusing on it, you will notice in a day or two that it's gone. I know you've heard this before, but you're only five months into a year long recovery that naturally includes ups and downs. You've experienced a few issues that probably aggravated soft tissue and time and rest will likely take care of that. As far as the noisy knee, there can be clicking, clunking, popping sounds which may be annoying, but likely not a problem. It usually stops over time as the soft tissues around the implant settle and adjust to work smoothly with the parts of the prosthetic. If the noises / sensations are accompanied by pain or swelling you can always check in with your surgeon's care team for advice or reassurance. Good luck picking out walking shoes. There are many to choose from!
A peaceful evening to you, dubloosh!
@dubloosh

HI @Layla, great advice. Thank you for being patient with me. I forget it takes a year and think something's wrong when it feels different. I'm happy there's no pain or swelling and that my scar is starting to fade. Four years ago I walked more than three miles in Merrell slides (not the best walking shoes) yet I wore them all over. I was more than two years post op from hip surgery and covered New York State's bridge project for about eight years. I'd also been walking to prepare for the trek from one end of it to the other as I'm not athletic, just like to walk. Not sure if this is allowed; if not, then please delete.

I live in the Hudson Valley and was excited to put the new hip to work. Maybe this summer I'll get the new knee to carry me the same three-plus miles.

Well that's pretty interesting, dubloosh!
Links are up to Admin, so if it disappears, you will know why, but up until then, I'm sure those opening it will enjoy reading. I hope you can make the trek again sometime this Summer of Fall.
Have a peaceful evening and sleep well tonight. :sleep:
@dubloosh

Thank you @Layla I'm trying not to stay up past midnight. It was pretty exciting to cover this project. Rain today, and little knee pain: a good day to be indoors and shop for shoes. Happy Thursday!

Hi everyone, hope you're having a wonderful day. I'm not a happy camper and come to you for advice/suggestions, please. Ever since the person ran into me with his scooter I've had pain in my left leg. It's concentrated on the IT band and on my quads, and I'm wondering what is going on below my skin. This week the building management asked me if I was going to press charges. If I had lots of money, then I would. The person who ran into me is a lawyer. The building management's insurance company called and said it would reimburse me for any medical charges I have to pay out-of-pocket. There are none. I'm seeing my surgeon April 8 for a check up on my right (surgical) knee and shall also ask if I have a patella button. Do you think I should ask him for an MRI of my left knee? I have been in more pain this week than earlier, and the incident happened March 3. I'd like to rule out meniscus tear. He may say it's inflamed, and that's OK. The right knee was inflamed after the aggressive PT, and that calmed down (except for the tightness that began last week). Thank you in advance.

Yes, of course you should explain the accident and how your left leg is feeling to your surgeon. Don’t ask for a specific imaging, though. Just talk and ask questions about what might be going on. Let your surgeon suggest what to do next (or ask that). It’s especially significant that your pain is increasing. Be sure and mention that.

Well, contrary to what I said earlier, I'm up past midnight. Hope everyone had a good Saturday. Wishing those who observe a happy Easter. Yesterday I was gentle with myself and am surprised that little changes make a difference. I'd stopped taking gabapentin and didn't think I'd miss the small dose. Two days ago I resumed taking it and am noticing a difference today. The "scootered" knee and IT band felt normal, and my op knee was less stiff. The other change was in peanut butter. I forgot to pick it up at Trader Joe's and did the other day. The brand I had contained additives and sugar, which I'm sure contributed to pain. So the gabapentin and peanuts only-peanut butter may have helped. It's past 1 a.m. here, and my last dose of acetaminophen was 6 p.m. I'm skipping the fourth dose. Good night everyone. :sleep:

Last edited:
Good morning everyone It's quiet outside, not even a car on the road. I forgot to mention earlier I vacuumed and dusted the apartment yesterday, gently and slowly. It took about three hours as I stopped for many breaks and felt very accomplished. Maybe that's why I feel calm today even though the minute I stood up I felt a slight pain in the "scootered" leg. Acetaminophen and ibuprofen took care of that. The op knee is a little stiff; I'm used to it now and hope it will lessen as the weather gets warmer. Hope you enjoy the day.

Adding: I read the site's information about ITB and would like to add I use Arnicare on the fleshy part (thigh).

Last edited:
Great news! Had a chuckle over you being so excited you took the elevator back up and walked down the stairs again. Yay! Good for you! :yes!:
@dubloosh

Not surprising that you struggle with steps at this point. Stiffness is most often due to swelling. Your body is adjusting to a foreign object (the prosthetic) and this creates an inflammatory response that can take a full year to calm down to a point of less fluid / swelling. The stair climbing may have done it for you today. You need to increase activity over time to avoid extra stiffness and swelling. I am guessing you do see a correlation between your activity level and the amount of stiffness / aching / soreness you have. Time will take care of this and you're only 5.5 months into a year long recovery. Get some rest and ice for the swelling and take it easy as you exercise, building on time and distance s-l-o-w-l-y. Hopefully tomorrow is a better day.
@dubloosh

Good Morning dubloosh,
I am sorry recovery isn't living up to your expectations. Please try to remember that you may be only halfway through the healing process at this point. You mentioned the weather, which can affect the way you're feeling.
I did a little research on this awhile back...

Is It True You Can Feel Weather Changes In Your Joint?

For some people, yes. It's especially true for patients with arthritic joints who have not had a joint replacement, but also the case even after you have a new prosthetic in place.

Weather changes are predicted by changes in barometric pressure, which is the weight of the air pressing against the earth's surface. These changes can trigger pain and stiffness in the area of the prosthesis. The activity of bone adapting and growing around the metal leads to the sensitivity felt during weather and pressure changes. These sensations normally disappear within one to two years following surgery.

Go back to the quad strengthening exercises you were likely discharged with instructions on how to do. The Quad Sets, start there routinely and see if you notice a difference. You can find videos to watch on YouTube so you know you're doing them correctly.

We will gladly change your thread title. Please let us know what you'd like the new title to be.
Happy Thursday! :)
@dubloosh

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Unique Mike
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom