• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

TKR YYZ Back To YYC!

I saw the orthopaedic surgeon earlier this week (the X-rays all look fine of course ) and am getting an aspiration April 25th! This will be left for 12 days to see what develops in terms of infection.

He indicated that if we need to go the surgical route there is no way to know how we will treat it until they open up the knee. That makes sense but is scary!

I have to go for now but will update!

Good luck with the aspiration. It's good they are looking for answers. I know it has been a long tough journey for you- I hope you find a solution.

Wishing you only the best.
Please know that we're here for support always. Stay in touch! :console2:
@2chains

I've been phoning the clinic daily to see if there are cancellations and can get the aspiration done sooner.

In the meantime I've obtained the clinical notes from the second opinion doc to forward to my GP.

One statement of note;

"The potential lack of in-growth could be the reason why she is having pain."

Interesting reading online about this circumstance. Luckily its been noted that I have large bones so might work to my advantage.

Onward we go!

Fingers crossed you get an earlier appointment. :fingersx:
Please keep us posted
@2chains

Hi 2 Chains, I have been reading about your complications following private surgery in Toronto. I live in Alberta and have been looking at private surgery elsewhere for bilateral knee replacements and I’m shocked to hear how difficult it has been for you to get follow up care dealing with a complication. I think I read in one of your posts that the doctor said “you’ve been discharged, “but did they really not recommend someone in Alberta for you to follow up with? I hope you find some resolution to your ongoing complications following your total knee replacement.

@2chains

Did you go through a private company that organized your surgery? The reason I'm asking, is I have a friend who desperately needs a hip replacement, and she is willing to go the private route. She is the surgery wait list for Medicine Hat - about 14 to 16 months, which is about how long she would have to wait to get to the Alberta Health clinic just for assessment.

Hi 2 Chains, I have been reading about your complications following private surgery in Toronto. I live in Alberta and have been looking at private surgery elsewhere for bilateral knee replacements and I’m shocked to hear how difficult it has been for you to get follow up care dealing with a complication. I think I read in one of your posts that the doctor said “you’ve been discharged, “but did they really not recommend someone in Alberta for you to follow up with? I hope you find some resolution to your ongoing complications following your total knee replacement.
Hi my GP convinced a local orthopaedic surgeon at 6 months postop to consult on my case but kept saying the X-rays look fine.
@2chains

Did you go through a private company that organized your surgery? The reason I'm asking, is I have a friend who desperately needs a hip replacement, and she is willing to go the private route. She is the surgery wait list for Medicine Hat - about 14 to 16 months, which is about how long she would have to wait to get to the Alberta Health clinic just for assessment.
Hi yes private pay surgery in Canada. If the surgeon in Medicine Hat is well regarded that might be a great option. The Alberta Hip and Knee Clinic has a long waiting list from what I hear.

Went for my aspiration today. The knee was examined under ultrasound as a first step. It was determined that there is no fluid in my knee. They could not do the procedure as there is no fluid to extract. :(

Not certain if that confirms there is no infection or a symptom of something else? Also went for blood work but they couldn't do the CERP test as only a rheumatologist can order it. Uugh.

One more step forward. Good to hear you are in the door with your surgeon:)

Thanks for keeping us posted. We’re here for you and wish you the best on the 7th.
I hope you have a nice weekend, 2chains. :)
@2chains

Holding good thoughts for your May 7 appointment!!!!! May it show a clear path forward. :console2:

Went for another left knee X-ray yesterday prior to my orthopaedic surgeon consult on May 7. Viewed my health records online this am and it indicates everything with the TKA looks fine!

The aspiration the doctor ordered could not be conducted due to no synovial fluid in the knee and the X-rays which I have had done (went to a different clinic this time after the last three at the same place)show nothing is wrong with the implants and their alignment. Uugh!

Not sure if this is a common to have pain but nothing showing up? Knee starts throbbing especially on the medial side after 20-30 mins standing walking.

My other non surgical knee has OA could this be affecting my interpretation of pain in my operative knee? My PT thinks this could be the issue. Would an MRI be conclusive?

Not sure if this is a common to have pain but nothing showing up?
Yes, I do believe this happens in more cases than we know.

My knee looks fine on an X-ray and in an exam room, but feels awful much of the time. Often my knee feels like someone took my leg apart at the knee, then, stuck it back together wrong. It feels out of joint. 3 second opinions found nothing to fix.

Interesting to hear what your PT suspects @2chains --I have been wondering about this issue for myself. Is the slightly worsening OA in my non-surgical knee affecting how my repaired knee feels lately? I suspect that it might affect both the perception of how our TKR knee feels and also the actual increased load we are putting on that knee. Good luck with your search for answers.

Arthritis in other joints can be a problem for a new knee (or hip) because fixing one joint immediately puts that leg in proper alignment and the rest of your body has to adjust to that new “normal.” The fact that the pain starts 30 minutes after standing or walking supports the idea that your body may be out of alignment right now.

Do you have plans to get the other knee replaced? If not, I suggest you seek a therapist who can do a good gait analysis and work with you to correct your alignment. It’s usually a muscle weakness problem that has developed over years as your body’s way of compensating for a bad joint.

Jockette is right too…..we are realizing these days that more patients who feel like they have a problem joint, but everything checks out with the implant are experiencing muscle issues that can be helped by physical therapy (if you can locate one who understands the problem….not all do).

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads