TKR YYZ Back To YYC!

Also he says that my radial pain on the lateral side of my knee is likely from the retractor and where it was placed during the surgery. It severely aggravated the peroneal nerve... that nerve runs right against the bone.
Very interesting! All my issues are on the lower, lateral side of my knee. My surgeon also did a lateral release when he did my PKR and I’m convinced something went wrong with that. I do have symptoms of nerve damage.

I've had lateral issues just below my knee on and off through 22 months. Has been easing up last month or so, sorry yours is still an issue after all this time.

Regarding lateral issues PT has done light manipulation/massage near the head of the fibular bone twice in six months but has told me to keep away from it and not try it myself. I've been doing daily mobilization of the kneecap daily the last six months by moving it 2 minutes in each direction. IE. side to side, up and down and diagonally. Not sure if that has eased my lateral pain....

I'm sorry you are still having issues, @2chains but am glad to hear you are having small improvements. I'm glad this year's El Niño weather is making things a bit easier for everyone.

Awesome weather news for all of us in Canada! Even Winnipeg!

23 month update:

Having balance issues favouring right side and really noticed when doing treadmill. PT indicated balance is not uncommon with knee rehab. CT done nothing showed on right side but left side shows plaque build up so now taking 5mg Crestor daily for cholesterol. One side effect is muscle aches/pain and really feeling it in both knees, quads, hamstrings since starting new regime. Other option is a stroke. Uugh! MRI scheduled Jan 2025 for further assessment.

continuing daily exercises and PT every 3 weeks

exercise bike 25m
leg lifts
raise leg and then slow drop
raise leg with ladder type drop
light bending with strap
fascia massage at scar location
kneecap mobilization four directions
sitting leg extension with band and hold
treadmill-forefoot walking + backward walking
walking every third day 25min
two weeks into weight training regime

going upstairs takes less effort
going downstairs is still slow and needing handrail as knee is stiff

feel more confident walking outside in the snowy paths and ice than the last two winters!
walking is limited to 35 mins, hiking is still not an option

pain and stiffness is at joint line but mostly lateral and below kneecap
no recent medial pain!

still get pain/stiffness after 35mins of activity and unable to work at construction job as standing + walking is difficult, only have 6 months disability insurance remaining and getting very stressed about paying bills!
unable to do desk job as lack of movement causes significant pain and set backs, uugh!

Will post up at 24 month big reveal! :spin:

Hope you get good news from the MRI, that’s a long time to wait! Sorry you’re having such a rough time. Do you by chance have access to aquatic therapy? I really have enjoyed the balancing work in the pool, and I think it has helped me a lot.

now taking 5mg Crestor daily for cholesterol. One side effect is muscle aches/pain and really feeling it in both knees, quads, hamstrings since starting new regime. Other option is a stroke. Uu
I was worried when I started a statin a few months ago that it would aggravate my various joint issues and cause muscle aches but thankfully it hasn't.
It might be worth asking if there is a different statin that would be equally OK for cholesterol but might suit you better ?
I'm sorry you still can't walk very far or work so long after your surgery.

Hope you get good news from the MRI, that’s a long time to wait! Sorry you’re having such a rough time. Do you by chance have access to aquatic therapy? I really have enjoyed the balancing work in the pool, and I think it has helped me a lot.
Thanks for the reply. I did have an outing with aquatic therapy but can't tolerate the chemicals!

now taking 5mg Crestor daily for cholesterol. One side effect is muscle aches/pain and really feeling it in both knees, quads, hamstrings since starting new regime. Other option is a stroke. Uu
I was worried when I started a statin a few months ago that it would aggravate my various joint issues and cause muscle aches but thankfully it hasn't.
It might be worth asking if there is a different statin that would be equally OK for cholesterol but might suit you better ?
I'm sorry you still can't walk very far or work so long after your surgery.
Yes good advice..my GP takes a statin and mentioned she has issues when doing her competitive rowing. She gets muscle aches/joint pain and has had to cut down from 40mg to 20mg to function. With my low dose I'll have to find something different as cutting back isn't an option!

My husband takes cholesterol meds and has noticed some joint issues too.

I'm sorry you are still having issues this far into your recovery. :sad: @2chains

@2chains
Have you received another opinion? What kind of pain are you experiencing. 2 years is way too long to suffer. Hopefully Gigi will give us an update.

@demps I’ve moved your post above out of Gigi2020’s and over to @2chains thread. Thank you for your support of 2chains, but it’s better to ask her questions about her recovery in her own thread, rather than someone else’s. You can have a great discussion here. Thanks for understanding. :flwrysmile:

I might be facing an infection. Was wondering what the PIC line is? Is it an IV? Do you have to keep it up high on a pole which makes it difficult to be ambulatory? How often would bagged meds need to be changed out?

I might be facing an infection. Was wondering what the PIC line is? Is it an IV? Do you have to keep it up high on a pole which makes it difficult to be ambulatory? How often would bagged meds need to be changed out?
It's a form of IV line that is specifically intended for long term use. It's only connected to an IV bag during the infusion of the medicine, with a protocol for safely accessing and leaving the connection between doses.
Peripherally Inserted Central Catheter. The exit point is usually your arm. The tip where the medicine actually exits is a large central vein.

@2chains , i had a PICC line last summer and will again soon. My antibiotics were supplied in little containers the size of grenades that when activated pumped the medicine into the PICC line using some kind of mechanism that I think was spring loaded. Each infusion took 50 minutes and I did it once a day (this will vary).

While I was infusing i could put the ‘grenade’ in a pocket and go about my business.

The drawbacks to having a PICC line is that you have to cover it when you shower, that since it was on the inside of my arm it would rub against my side and bruise my inner arm, and that the port itched all the time.

One big advantage to a PICC line is that IV antibiotics do not upset your stomach like oral antibiotics often do.

You will be instructed on how to use it safely. The most important steps involve cleaning various connectors so you don’t accidentally introduce another infection while using it.

@mendogal ok great, follow up is march 19 so thank you for letting me know!

@WFD Thank you! I appreciate the details as I wasn't sure what preparations i would need at home. I was told by friend that the IV has to be on a pole at a certain height but sounds like that is only on TV!

I was told by friend that the IV has to be on a pole at a certain height
I think that actually does happen sometimes for some home infusions, but the doctors and nurses prefer not, since there are more opportunities for the patient to make a mistake.
Thanks @WFD! I was wondering once you have the IV inserted what activity restrictions are mentioned by the doctor or ones you noticed?

I was wondering once you have the IV inserted what activity restrictions are mentioned by the doctor or ones you noticed?
The oral antibiotics I was given forbid alcohol, and would upset my stomach a great deal if I had food within 3 hours before or after. Since I took those twice a day it restricted when I could eat and I had to time things carefully.

The IV antibiotics didn’t have any of those problems but the PICC line port was a pain in the neck. You have to keep it dry when you shower - some people use plastic wrap but I bought a sleeve on Amazon that has neoprene seals at each end and works great.

The PICC line also has a tendency to catch on things and run against your side, and that irritates the skin around the port. Make sure the hospital gives you an elastic sleeve to wear on top of the port and extension line, to protect it and keep it from catching on things. You can also get these on Amazon.

For what it’s worth, I am sitting in the waiting room at the hospital waiting to get my own PICC line put in (again).

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Annajean5
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom