X2Mangie’s pre op journey

@X2mangie i didn’t use a recliner but I’ve read on a lot of posts it’s helpful. I spent most of my time in my bed, it’s pretty high and easier to get out of. But I was walking immediately after surgery and when I got home I’d do a few laps around the house. If I were you, I’d get out to some furniture stores and check the recliners out. Do a fake post op knee scenario! Just to see if it’s easier for you to get up and out of.

Also, I’ve read on other posts about the lounge doctor. I think I could have used it with good results. I believe it’s on Amazon.

I’m not self employed but living on short term disability is a little rough. But I didn’t need any extra money because I was housebound. Still very close in terms of paying monthly bills!

Glad you’ve found BoneSmart! It truly was a life saver. :spin:

@Celle thanks for this! I think I am gonna have to skip the recliner.... just don’t have the funds! Still, I think I am fairly set up..... I have an adjustable tempurpedic bed and loving my ice machine and lounge doctor while laying down on the couch!:ice:

If you have a tempurpedic bed that should be high enough to get in and out of comfortably. Just make sure your walker is set up to make the transfer.

Before I bought a recliner I looked online at thick foam padding to put under the sofa cushions.

Thanks @beachy!! I love the idea of adding foam to the sofa! I have a funny one to tell you! The last time I babysat, my three year old granddaughter asked me in all seriousness “ Mangie, why do you walk like a penguin?”
:heehee::rofsign::rotfl:

That is too funny!!!
Gotta love the things kids say!

@X2mangie You mentioned having trouble getting off your couch.......I have a good one for you! My husband and son have done Tae Kwon Do for the last 7 yrs, and my husband runs his own TKD school. This means we have loads of broken boards laying around from all of their own belt tests and random tests where my husband brings some home for kindling. I actually saved my son's (Owen) with the date and color of each belt he achieved.

Who knew how handy those boards would be......:heehee: They are AWESOME for boosting our old couch up 4-5 inches off the carpet. We call it the "knee couch" as it has high sides that are perfect for leaning up against. I've used that couch for the last 5 knee surgeries, but one downside is it sits too low to the ground. For the 2 surgeries where I was immobilized and non-weight bearing for 6 weeks, my left knee wasn't able to take the brunt of me trying to push up off the couch (as it needs replaced too, just not as bad).

So we duct-taped 6-7 boards together and put a stack under each couch leg. It's look TOTALLY goofy and backwoods---but we didn't care. It served a good purpose for those few months, each time. My husband is already teasing me about bringing the Hoosier couch back up from the basement and putting the boards back under it for my Dec 18 TKR. :rofsign:He loves me to the moon and back, and is so good to me. !!!!! :loveshwr:

I AM buying a lounge doctor, as I want the easy elevation. I'll use it again next May when I do the other knee.

Reactions: pdx
Rockgirl4's idea for elevating the sofa is a good one! People also use boards or other things, like blocks or books, to raise beds, chairs, and recliners (recliners can be nice, but some are a bit low). Just make sure whatever you use is sturdy.

Anything you can do to make your nest comfy and functional is a win!

Thanks @SusieShoes and @Rockgirl4 !!! I love these ideas!! My couch has another strike against it. It is one of those recliner types where you push the bottom in with your legs to lower the foot rest part. It is hard to do now, so I am doubting it will work after surgery anyway. It’s ok......I have a lounge doctor and I can just lay down length wise. If that doesn’t work, I always have my adjustable bed.:idea:

We had a recliner that was like your couch: push the bottom in with your legs. One day before surgery I looked at it and said to Mr. Shoes, "I won't be able to use that." We replaced it with one I could use. But you're right about that kind of recliner... you will not be able to push yourself back up with your legs for a while! Eventually, though, you'll be back to using it. Until then, you got this.

And adjustable beds work very well. I have one. Between raising the head or foot, some pillows and the Lounge Doctor, I found the bed to be a cozy nest.

@SusieShoes Thanks for your continued encouragement!!! It really helps me calm down and consider my options. I do think my adjustable bed will be my perfect nest. I have the lounge doctor ( in case the bed doesn’t seem right) and a thingy to lift the blankets off my feet ( that really bugs me). Also, my little Cairn Terrior will be my constant companion :puppysmooze:, along with my ice machine!!:egypdance:

My knee replacement class is this Tuesday .....mandatory for myself and my hubby...feels like this is starting to happen! I am hoping to get a bunch of answers and info!:flwrysmile:

Well, I got the flu shot yesterday...so far so good. Pneumonia next week, I guess. Hubby and I went to the prep class today. Informative. Hope it impressed on him how important his role is! During the class, they said they want us to drink Ensure Immunonutritional drinks.....3/day. It is loaded with sugar and I am ketogenic. They stressed it was important....has anyone heard of this?

They can recommend the Ensure, but you don't have to drink it. It's not essential and that sort of requirement should be tailored to the individual, not a one-size-fits-all recommendation.

Also, has anyone noticed restless leg syndrome? It is becoming a very annoying, regular thing the minutes I lay down to sleep!

You don’t have to drink the Ensure. You know your own body and its metabolic challenges. These classes provide general guidelines which suit most patients, but don’t be afraid to customize these suggestions. Talk with your medical team about your concern with that recommendation. They can help you devise something that works better for your body.

I wish I could be helpful about restless leg. I only encountered a mild version. Here’s an article about it that has helpful information.

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/restless-legs-following-knee-replacement-surgery.13454/

I have pretty much decided to nix the Ensure....too much sugar. I eat well, take vitamins, really doubt it is needed. I got my pneumonia shot today. Whoa! That baby HURT! Glad I did it now, so my sore arm will be better by 1/8!! Just FYI.....the shower chair they recommended in the class is $52 on Amazon with free shipping while it it $96.99 at CVS! I am hunting in thrift stores!:heehee:

Finally got around to looking at the booklet from my pre op class and in it it describes all these exercises.....most of which I have seen here are not a good idea! I am not good at confrontation and I don’t want to get into it with my doc or my PT. That actually scares me more than the surgery! I have thought about printing the pages here that are relevant and just handing them to the PT......what do you think?

I had my first of two pre op appts. This one was for blood, urine and an EKG. If all that is good, the next one is 1/3.

Crossing my fingers all the tests come in with flying colors so you can look forward to your New Year!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom