Wrist Wrist fusion

lennie

Country
United States United States
5½ years ago I fell and broke some bones in my right wrist. I had to have two surgeries and now I need wrist fusion. Anyone had it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had a carpal row carpectomy 5 years ago after a nonunion surgery to repair the ligament. So the bones left. I have limited movement now. He is talking about fusing it around 30 degrees

Bottom row or top row? I would expect he will use some bone graft which he might take from you or use bone bank bone. Either way, such a procedure could take about 6-8 weeks to fuse and another 4 weeks of exercising.

The row closest to the ulna and radius

@lennie, I had a left total wrist fusion in February 2016 having had problems with that hand for a long time. I had cortisone injections and eventually my GP referred me to a wrist surgeon who shocked me at the first appointment by mentioning fusion.

He sent me for an MRI scan which showed the extent of the damage: 'severe degenerative change in the proximal and distal row of the carpus'. The surgeon tried a fluoroscopic guided cortisone injection which gave me short-lived pain relief. At the next appointment we agreed that fusion was the only way forward because I was finding it difficult to cope with the pain.

I had the surgery as an in-patient where a 10cm titanium plate was put across the damaged joints which causes them to fuse. The immediate pain after surgery took a while to control but when I left hospital the next day I was on paracetamol - 1000mg 4 times a day which worked surprisingly well.

I had a plaster slab, bandage and thick foam sling for 2 weeks and returned for an x-ray. I then had a lightweight fibreglass cast for 3 weeks. I am right-handed so I could do most things whilst in a cast. I bought a plastic waterproof sleeve for showering and a cast sleeve (stretchy fabric) because the fibreglass cast had edges that were a little rough.

When the cast came off I had a wrist brace but was told to take it off frequently to exercise my fingers. Within a week I could move all of my fingers which impressed the physio. It was 8 weeks post surgery before I felt confident and strong enough to drive.

Life with a fused wrist is different because although it rotates my hand does not flex at all. As it is my left wrist I can compensate using my right hand. I manage to work using a computer, drive, garden, cook and do crafts. Things that are more difficult to do - hold and peel vegetables; eat food that that requires cutting and is served in bowl (might be a UK trend), I tend to choose food when eating out that doesn't require a lot of cutting because I feel self-conscious but family and friends have told me that I am more aware of my hand than anyone around me.

I also have trouble pulling on a handbrake in the car (in the UK we drive on the left so the handbrake is on my left) and prefer cars with a thicker steering wheel.

My hand is not totally pain free because not all of the arthritic damage could be removed so that I could retain the ability to rotate my wrist. However I have a stronger usable hand than pre-surgery. I do not regret having it done!

I wish you well if you choose to have the surgery. I went on to need a hip replacement too and think that my hand was actually more painful than my hip.

@EmEm what a very excellent description of this surgery! May I use it in the Library?

@Josephine, please feel free to use it. After all the support I have received on the hip forum I would like to help someone else.

Thank you so, so much for the insight EmEm. I have this problem with my right hand which is my dominant hand so it will be any adjustment. My hand is becoming very troublesome though

It hurts to sign my name now. ☹️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel for you. I stopped being able to support the weight of a normal bath towel and found a really good quality microfibre one which I still use. Once my wrist was fused I gathered up all the different wrist supports I had used over the years and you could see that as it deteriorated they went from just stretchy material to full on braces with a metal splint and a thumb support.
At least mine (the left) wasn't my dominant hand so the right hand did most of the work. The downside is that 2 years on my right hand is definitely deteriorating as well. I haven't had a cortisone shot in that wrist yet so think that may be in the near future.

Left shoulder

Well I was driving fork lift and got a very drunk, angry 20 year old. He refused to get out when I got to his address and after calling 911 and taking their advice I ended up with a concussion, broken nose, and my left shoulder broken in three places that required reconstruction. I am out of work till at least January. I have to say shoulder surgery is much worse than knee replacements or wrist fusion.

I’m happy to report that the student was 20 and I was 58 and I broke several bones in his face with my fused wrist. If it could happen it would happen to me.

Lennie

Wow @lennie you have had a tough time. I presume your fused wrist 'coincided' with your passenger's face! I have wondered how strong those titanium plates are but don't want to put mine to that sort of test. I hope you get some compensation for your injuries especially if you can't work.

@lennie - I'm sorry to hear that you were assaulted like that. What a lout! I hope he pays the penalty.

What date did you have your shoulder reconstruction?
I'm going to ask @Josephine to advise you about recovery from that.

Wow what a dreadful experience! Didn't the police come to help you deal with this miscreant? Did he get due punishment?

Do you have any specific questions you want to ask me?

It occurred on September 23, 2018. I could not have surgery till my head cleared so it happened on October 2, 2018. I did not start PT until November 13. I am worried this injury will end my career. The young idiot is charged with felony assault and we are waiting on a court date. Other lawsuits in the works. And yes by the way my fused wrist did a number on his face. My on,y damage from that was skinned knuckles.

Thank you for the dates. I've put them in your signature.
I'm glad your fused wrist did some damage to your assailant.

I hope your shoulder heals well. Unlike knees, I gather that PT is needed for recovery from shoulder surgery.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Jojojo1
Recent bookmarks