• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

TKR Why did I wait?

I could only do one thing at the time for quite a while. I also rested the day after. That make the next day easier to do something more again.

@jboles, your bed sounds great. I've heard of that kind but never slept on one.

@GingerP, thank you for the info about cheese curds. I'm going to call the store to see if they will ship me an order. I just have to try something called a curd. Now, shall I send grits your way?

Oh @MSgirl , I have tried grits a time or two and not a fan. Maybe it's in the preparation, sorry. I think you may like the curds. If you do a you tube search of making cheese, maybe it will show how they fill forms with the curds so you can see what I'm talking about. We like sharp cheese here. They have some very old cheddar and they crumble, but oh that sharp flavor. Yum!

I learned to make my own cheese curds so I could make homemade poutine. And to keep this on subject --- I can't do it anymore because of my knee issues.

At our fair there are battered and deep fried curds. Health food to be sure! :wink:

My new knee has a new career. Yesterday, it decided to take up meteorology. Some swelling and aching in a slightly new way. Today the weatherman says we will have rain for the next five days. I could have told him that! Apparently some "experts" say that weather doesn't effect joints but my knee begs to differ. My one year-old knee has no interest in a new career and has not reacted to the weather. I'll be glad for my new one to retire in the future. Too bad it's not getting paid for it's predictions!

My original knees never cared about the weather, and I would wonder about people who said their's could. Somewhere around three months post-TKR, my left knee turned into a weather wizard. Lefty can feel a change in the weather coming from half a continent away. Well, more like from across my very wide state. Go figure.

I guess as unwanted consequences of TKR go, things could be much worse. I'll take it. :snork:

At least for my older new knee, it did seem to be time-limited!

Oh yeah, I have weather joints, too!

Today I was discharged from home PT. After all her questions, we went driving. It was great! What a difference it makes to have a good right leg. When I started driving last year with my new right knee, it was a little shaky for awhile. Everything felt perfectly normal today. I did realize that although I can drive all right, if I decide to stop anywhere, I'll be exhausted when I get home. So - short trips at first.

@GingerP, I hear that some folks up north think grits are like cream of wheat and put (horrors!!!) sugar on them. NO! Butter, salt and pepper. That's all. They are best served a little runny if eaten with eggs for breakfast, maybe a little firmer for shrimp and grits and as a Wisconsin girl, you would probably love cheese grits, served at fancy restaurants with an entree. See what you've been missing? Do you thing cheese curds will hold up to be mailed? You and @SusieShoes have convinced me that I need to try them.

Bonesmart is wonderful. Not only have I learned so much about caring for my new knee, but I've learned about foods I've never heard of!

@MSgirl !!!! You were driving today! A big ol wahoo for you!
I think when I had grits last they were very paste-like and really no flavor so was turned off. Maybe 'good' grits is what I need. (PS Anything with cheese should be good!)
They do ship well. My son has had them shipped to NJ and arrived well.
Continued good things for you in your recovery!

Surgery 4 weeks ago tomorrow. All in all, a fairly uneventful recovery - except for the pain, no sleep, etc.! I had been moving around well with good heel-toe until Friday. Discharged from home PT that morning and by afternoon, I had started to swell - this after no exercises that morning. Had pain so I ended up just icing and elevating the whole weekend. Strangely, the top of the knee isn't the problem. The pain was on the back of my knee. It was damp, cold and rainy here so I checked the NWS for what the barometer was doing. It was bouncing all around, up and down. So my "kneeteorologist" picked up on it. Still had some pain and swelling this morning that made me walk like Chester, for all you who remember "Gunsmoke".

I started outpatient PT this morning. My former PT moved so I began with a new one but at the same facility. She is delightful. My numbers are 128 and 0. She thinks after the swelling goes down, they will improve but I'm not concerned about it. I did some very slow rotations on the bike set at 0, and a very few other stretches. The swelling prevented me from doing a lot. Then she put some type of electrode things on my knee with an ice pack that she said would help with the swelling. It kind of vibrated.

After that, I drove to Walmart to pick up my order. First time I've used it but cannot say enough good things about it for anyone, but especially those of us not up to a grocery trip. The website walks you through how to do it. And since I was so proud of myself, I went to Whataburger! First time eating one in a year and the grease was good for the soul!

I've been elevating and icing since I got home and the combination of everything seems to be working. The weather is settling down and the barometer is holding steady. Chester is leaving the building and I am glad! Now I'd like to put the kneeteorologist out of business! By the way, the weather did not effect knee #1 at all so maybe in the future, when #2 is healed, I'll just laugh at the barometer.

Here's hoping that everyone is moving forward toward recovery- we will all get there eventually!

Well, I'm afraid my appetite did come back for certain foods. I had to weigh at PT today and have gained 8 lbs. Not good.

Maybe it’s just your swelling.

I'm watching the downhill skiers at the Olympics right now. How do their knees take it? They are amazing.

I find that since surgery I notice what other people are able to do with their knees, too! I never paid much attention to it before.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Riveralex
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom