Patellectomy No Kneecaps and a TKR<

When I made my second opinion appointment last June I was surprised to get an appointment within 2 weeks!

When I made my second opinion appointment last June I was surprised to get an appointment within 2 weeks!
I'm surprised. That's really quick! Hopefully, your next one will be that quick, too.

I've been reading up on cortisone shots in the knee after a tkr and I've decided against it. There is a risk of infection afterwards. I sure don't want that! I was hoping that was an option, but it's not.

I think we all have this surgery so that we don’t need those shots. They never worked at all for me, before surgery, I had several. I also had that gel shot synvisc and that did not help but it took 2 days to walk normally after getting it. Maybe that was the first red flag I missed. (I think I missed many!)

I've lost count of how many cortisone shots I've had in both knees. Also, I had the 3 shot series that are given once a week for 3 weeks. I forgot what they were called. The first one helped a little. The next two ended up hurting me more than before the first shot. I believe all these are just attempts to not have a replacement. But, they just delay the inevitable.

@sistersinhim, the shots are called Synvisc. I had Synvisc-one injections 8 times over 8 years plus 1 cortisone injection prior to my LTKR. Yes, it is just to buy time before a TKR.

No, mine was called Euflexxa. It was about 15 years ago. I couldn't remember what it was so I googled it and finally found it. It was a waste or time and money.

Sorry you're having these issues so long after your tkr!
I will keep you in prayer. :console2:

So sorry to read of your troubles, @sistersinhim. Sending good thoughts and prayers. I hate to hear of anyone taking a step backward on this long journey.

Thank you, ladies. My appointment is next Monday. I pray I'll know something after then. Not knowing is the worst! I will also ask for an order for a metal allergy test just to cover that base, too.

@sistersinhim i don’t mean to upset you if it does but how do they treat a metal allergy anyways?

I understand your wanting to lay that to rest and I still have it in the back of my mind for myself as well still. I am curious to see how it plays out for you :console2:

i don’t mean to upset you if it does but how do they treat a metal allergy anyways?
Oh my goodness, you never have to worry about upsetting me with a question! I'm here to help the best I can!

If I am found to be allergic enough to be a problem, which I doubt, they would remove my implant and put in one without metal. I really don't think that's my problem, but my left one has to be done sooner or later and I don't want double metal if I do have an allergy to the metal. I can't wear earrings that have nickle in them and I believe normal implants do. They have ceramic ones and even gold ones available, so there are options.

I pray I'm not jinxing myself, but my knee feels better today than it has in six months! Praise God! I'm trying to find a correlation of what I'm doing. One thing is I started taking OTC generic menopause support pills about then. I hadn't taken the pills for two days and now I'm feeling much better! But, that's the only change I can remember. It's almost like something has a 'snapped back in place' feeling. I even put my socks on the normal way this morning! I'm back on the menopause support pills today and will see my knee's reaction in the next few days. Wouldn't be a blessing if it's something this easy and simple to fix!?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics