When to take antibiotics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poof

senior
My LTKR is on Feb 12th. I've gone to the Pre-op class and was told that I would have to take antibiotics for the rest of my life before any dental procedure and before colonoscopies. However, what about Pap smears or simple cuts or abrasions? Since the surgery is getting so cloe, I'm beginning to obsess about everything. Help!

There's various opinions and instructions out there on this. Some surgeons are more conservative and take a why take a risk approach, others recommend it for just a few years. Mine recommends it for dental procedures, but not colonoscopies, unless there are polyps being removed. When I specifically asked my surgeon about the colonoscopy, he said there was so much bacteria there that no antibiotic would cover it all, so no, for a routine exam. Pap smears and such I've never heard it recommended for, probably because of the type of bacteria present, a cleaner environment, if you will. The mouth is a bacteria haven. I have to say, I'm more apt to get annual cleanings than every six months. I know about obsessing. A couple months back, I went to the emergency room because I was peeing red and was afraid to wait until morning for fear I had blood in the urine indicating a bladder infection and wanted antibiotics sooner that later. Turned out to be the beets I'd eaten the night before!

There is an ongoing debate about this Poof. My GP, OS and dentist all said no antibiotics unless the procedure is invasive (i.e. root canal, extraction). Pap smears are not invasive so you don't need antibiotics. Minor cut and abrasions - just be sure and wash well. I got a cactus needle stuck in my finger several months post op and had to take a course of antibiotics as it got very inflammed. Here's a thread from the Library that might answer some of your questions. Another one is Use of Antibiotics prior to dental procedures

My understanding is that it is important before any dental procedures because the bacteria and blood stream are in very close proximity in the mouth. My OS said the majority of TKR infections after the initial post op period are due to dental issues.

The advice given to dentists in Scotland from their governing body is that antibiotics are not required. I asked at my check up

Since there are so many different opinions from Docs...does that mean they just aren't sure what to do????

My OS says take antibiotics prior to dental work. My dentist says it is not necessary. There are two schools of thought on this issue.

So, I get a prescription from my GP each time and I take the antibiotics. I would rather be safe than sorry and I do not want to be in a situation where my OS has to say "Told you so!"

This may be a dumb question...but what about when you have a sinus infection? Should antibiotics be used for that too? I normally just let it clear up on its own.

Hi all, last time I saw my dentist, they asked if i had tkr before treatment which was strange as I didn't even know I needed one then! They advise antibiotics before root canal etc

My dentist wouldn't do a cleaning without an antibiotic. Just one pill an hour before the cleaning. Cost $1.50 I think.

Yes, advice does seem to conflict. Current thinking by the group here, which does several hundred TKRs a year, is antibiotics for two years before any dental work, including cleaning. OS didn't mention anything about colonoscopy, but then again, I'm not due for 5-ish years.

I would like to emphasise a comment from the article Jaycey quote which is this
In a study reported in the January 1st issue of Clinical Infectious Diseases, they found no association between dental procedures, with or without antibiotic prophylaxis, and the risk of total hip or knee infection.

And PLEASE do not obsess about common or garden infections, cuts and abrasions. They are not a threat. Neither are any other surgical procedures which are done under sterile conditions. We cannot live our lives in a bubble now can we!

But do read this article peri-prosthetic infection - also known as late onset infection as it explains the mechanics of infection and how the body attacks it. You need to know this so you're not worried by all and sundry things! Plus the second post in the article which suggests there is probably a completely different cause for periprosthetic infections anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties