• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

When did you go back to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went back to work at 4 weeks, for 3-4 hours or when the knee said it was time to go. I really have to work at remembering to get up and stretch, and also take a short walk around the office. It is now 6 weeks and stil working 3-5 hours, or when the knee says it has had enough. I do end up on the couch for several hours with ice when I get home. Recovery is slow.....

I agree with Jamie totally. Usually, our OS here will give us 3 months sick leave to recuperate. I thought that was too long. And considering that I had quite a fast recovery rate, I went back to work at 2.5 months. If I pushed it, I could probably go back at 2 months but I decided to delay another 2 weeks. For me, driving was not a problem but getting in and out of the car was a struggle. Then I had to climb 2 flight of stairs to get to my office. The worst was getting up and down the chair numerous times a day which was super tiring. I had to hold on to the table to push myself up and boy oh boy, the knees were still so stiff. Yes, I felt good being able to get back to work but by the time I got home, I was dead exhausted. And the only benefit was that I could sleep very well due to the exhaustion. Fortunately for me, I worked on a part time basis i.e. on alternate days, so I had the next day to rest. So rushing back to work too early is not advisable unless you have no option.

You have made some very good points here. Even though many folks have what we call a desk job---and when I returned to teaching, I tried to change my ways and sit in front of the class as much as possible---what we do not realize is that there are other times that we do not realize how often we are on our feet and putting some stress not only on our knee or knees but also on our bodies, too.

I was also exhausted after a day in the classroom, and then I went to PT twice a week, too.

I felt great being back in the classroom, but physically, I paid for it in terms of energy drain as well as extending the time of my recovery.

Hi-
I went back to work in about 5 weeks but as someone else said, I own my own business so it wasn't really a choice. I could manage being on my feet although by the end of the day, for several weeks, I was exhausted and went to bed pretty early. The hardest part for me was sitting still, my knee would ache terribly. So for all those bosses that think sitting at a desk would be a piece of cake, they would be wrong!! Being still is harder than moving around.
It does get better though, every day and every week and every month. It is just a slow journey!! Good luck.

I had a former co worker who had a TKR in February. She did extremely well with her TKR, and she has a desk job with some walking involved. Her ortho told her she could go back at 6 weeks, she ended up staying out 8 weeks. I believe she had to extend her leave because of the fatigue. To me......I think it seems to be about 8 weeks for most. I cannot imagine going back at 4, 5 or even 6 weeks, although I have additional health challenges. I am no longer working, but MY ortho said 12 weeks I would be out. jmo
Don't be so nervous. I have lupus and I did just fine. You will do well, too. Good luck!

Don't be so nervous. I have lupus and I did just fine. You will do well, too. Good luck!

Nyland, I am not worried, I don't work!! So that is one thing I have no worries about. The only thing I do worry about is the pain afterwards, but thats becuz I already use opiods, and per Josephine and my ortho, its going to cause more pain issues for me. Hugs!

Again, my situation is totally different work-wise, but I was back in two weeks. My OS said in the beginning (pre-surgery) to expect up to 12 weeks. When he saw me at week three, he wasn't surprised. He thinks because of my age (he thinks I'm young) that it made a complete difference; I think it's just because I need to work! :)

If I didn't own my own business, I think I would listen to my body and try to get as much time as needed. Mind you, even though I was back in two weeks, my stamina was pretty "lean." However, I am delighted at the daily progress and now getting more and more sleep!

Just take it one day at a time....

Nyland, I am not worried, I don't work!! So that is one thing I have no worries about. The only thing I do worry about is the pain afterwards, but thats becuz I already use opiods, and per Josephine and my ortho, its going to cause more pain issues for me. Hugs!
Oh, I understand! I think that there are so many different concoction that they can whip up for you, for at least right after surgery. You may even want to put a call into your hospital's palliative care doc. Explain your concerns about pain relief. Tell her/him the name of you OS and I bet the palliative care doc will share some useful drug combination that can help during the early days. We always call in our trusty palliative care doc for these kind of pain med questions. Don't be put off if your hospital's palliative care department is associated with hospice or oncology. Once you get them on the phone you can explain what your special questions are. GOOD LUCK!

I was out for 3 months. When i returned it was only for 5 hours. On the 21st of August I should go back to 8 hour days. I still come home and have to take a nap but I am getting better and stronger

I went back to work after 8 weeks. I have a "desk job" but do need to get up fairly often to confer with others in the office. I did find on the first day back that my knee really swelled up from sitting up all day, so I brought in some ice packs to keep in the freezer at work. I keep one on my knee whenever I am sitting at my desk and try to keep the leg propped up whenever possible. That has helped with keeping the pain and swelling at bay. I also worked from home logging in remotely during my second week after TKR to keep up with email and other computer tasks that could be handled via the laptop with me on the couch with my knee elevated.

Also make sure you have a chair that won't roll away from you.

for my LTKR I went back full time at 9 weeks, I was wiped out at the end of each day, for my RTKR (8 months later) I was out for 9 weeks then phased back in part time (4 hours per day) for 3 weeks then went back full time. It worked MUCH better for me and I was able to continue with PT that I needed on my RTKR. I found I could "not" do PT and work full time. I think with my LTKR - it took me until about 6 weeks back at work until I was not tired all the time. There is more than just the healing of your knee, the surgery takes an overall toll on your body.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads