• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Toenails

Status
Not open for further replies.

smithjc55

I read it is almost impossible to cut ones own toenails after a THR. Anyone doing this and how?
John

Do mine all the time!! :) I can either bend over while standing and cut or I can sit, put my foot on my knee and cut. I can also sit with one leg under me and the other bent in front to cut. It doesn't happen overnight, but in time it is easy. I had both hips replaced in May '05.

Andrea

I think some of this depends on your flexibility before THP. I am generally "tight muscled". I did work on flexibility through stretching over the last ten years or so. I sat on steps or something like that to prop (force) one foot up to cut my toenails. This was before the operation (maximally invasive, cut some muscle etc). In any case, at six weeks I could finally put my sock on without the sock helper. Then I started to do some serious stretching again. I am pleased to say that I am more flexible now and can cut my nails (again by sitting on something like a step) and it is easier now. I think that my hip muscles were very very tight over 30 years of pain that only now am I being able to stretch them well. I believe that I will be able to trim them even more easily in the future, after more stretching. (My operation was Jan 16). Good luck.

Hi everyone - I haven't posted for a long time but popped in to see what was happening as I am going to recommend this site to someone who is in the initial research stage. Wow, that was me last August! Now, I am 6 months post op (bilateral) and one happy camper. I am still working on some gait related issues but the hips are absolutely fantastic. I have been given the go-ahead to "go for it" (along with common sense) with no remaining restrictions. When I asked my Doc about skiing he just said "try not to break anything!".

John, initially you won't be able to tie your shoes or of couse, cut your toe nails. But as Andrea said you will get there. I can remember the incredible sense of accomplishment the first time I tied my shoes post-op and when I was finally able to comfortably clip my toe nails well, that was a WooHoo day (even though not being able to was a great excuse for more frequent pedicures). While you are recovering you will bounce back and forth between being completely frustrated because you can't do something and then completely amazed a few days down the road when you do accomplish it. I remember the first time I picked something up off the floor without the grabber - I was initially horrified because I was still under restrictions at the time and then as I realized I was OK I just started laughing hysterically.

I can't speak for anyone else but for me - the few weeks of inconvenience was such a tiny price to pay for living pain free :)

Good Luck,
Diane

After 8 weeks I can cut my toenails just as well as before the op. Still a bit sore after sitting for a while but fine once I get walking. Am just under a mile from the supermarket and walk there twice day making sure I always have something to get on the next visit. All the hospital equipment gets collected today - hurrah

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Riveralex
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom